DIPLOMACY
Trump launches sweeping border crackdown, mass deportation push
President Donald Trump on Monday kicked off his sweeping immigration crackdown, tasking the U.S. military with aiding border security, issuing a broad ban on asylum and taking steps to restrict citizenship for children born on U.S. soil.
Declaring illegal immigration a national emergency, Trump ordered the Pentagon to provide support for border wall construction, detention space, and migrant transportation and empowered the secretary of Defense to send troops to the border as needed.
Trump called for his administration to reinstate his “remain in Mexico” program, which forced non-Mexican migrants to wait in Mexico for the resolution of their U.S. cases.

Asylum seekers with appointments made through the U.S. Customs and Border Protection CBP One application scheduled for the morning of January 20, the final asylum appointment in Piedras Negras before the inauguration of U.S. President-elect Donald Trump, wait at the entrance of the Camino Real International Bridge in Piedras Negras, Coahuila, Mexico, January 20, 2025. REUTERS/Cheney Orr
Shortly after the inauguration, U.S. border authorities said they had shut down outgoing President Joe Biden’s CBP One entry program, which had allowed hundreds of thousands of migrants to enter the U.S. legally by scheduling an appointment on an app. Existing appointments were cancelled, leaving migrants stunned and unsure of what to do.
Trump, a Republican, recaptured the White House after promising to intensify border security and deport record numbers of migrants. Trump criticized Biden for high levels of illegal immigration during the Democrat’s presidency, but as Biden toughened his policies last year and Mexico stepped up enforcement, the number of migrants caught crossing illegally fell dramatically.
Republicans say large-scale deportations are necessary after millions of immigrants crossed illegally during Biden’s presidency. There were roughly 11 million immigrants in the U.S. illegally or with a temporary status at the start of 2022, according to a U.S. government estimate, a figure that some analysts now place at 13 million to 14 million.
“As commander-in-chief, I have no higher responsibility than to defend our country from threats and invasions, and that is exactly what I am going to do,” Trump said in his inaugural address.
Trump’s critics and immigrant advocates say mass deportations could disrupt businesses, split families and cost U.S. taxpayers billions of dollars.
The American Civil Liberties Union said in a federal court filing on Monday that Trump’s decision to end the CBP One program removed the only avenue to asylum at the U.S.-Mexico border, an opening salvo by the civil rights group to fight Trump’s agenda in court.
Americans have grown less welcoming toward immigrants without legal status since Trump’s first presidency, but remain wary of harsh measures such as using detention camps, a Reuters/Ipsos poll in December found.
BIDEN ENTRY PROGRAM SHUT DOWN
In several Mexican border cities, migrants saw their appointments on Biden’s CBP One app canceled just after Trump took office. Some 280,000 people had been logging into the app daily to secure an appointment as of Jan. 7.
Migrants waiting in Ciudad Juarez scrambled to find short-term rentals, buy bus tickets and call family members back home.
Daynna del Valle, a 40-year-old Venezuelan, spent eight months in Mexico waiting for an appointment that would have arrived on Tuesday. In that time, she worked at a nail salon but earned so little that she barely managed to send any money back to her mother in Colombia, a cancer survivor who needed medical treatment for her blood pressure.
“I’m lost,” she said. “I don’t know what to do, where to go.”
Denia Mendez, a Honduran sitting in the courtyard of a migrant shelter in Piedras Negras – across from Eagle Pass, Texas – opened her email inbox 30 minutes after Trump became president. She stared at an email for several minutes, reading it over and over, before her eyes welled up.
“They canceled my appointment,” she said. Several other migrants, who just minutes ago were laughing as they fed potato chips to pigeons, huddled around her phone, their faces suddenly grave.
Mendez’s 15-year-old daughter Sofia kept trying to get into the CBP One app.
“They’re not going to let you into the app, baby,” her mother told her softly.
BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP TARGETED
In his order focused on so-called “birthright citizenship Trump called on U.S. agencies to refuse to recognize the citizenship of U.S.-born children without at least one U.S. citizen or permanent resident parent, applying the restrictions in 30 days.
His order prompted the swift filing of a lawsuit in federal court in New Hampshire by the ACLU and other groups, who argued that Trump’s order violated the right for anyone born in the United States to be considered a citizen enshrined in the Citizenship Clause of the U.S. Constitution’s 14th Amendment.
“Denying citizenship to U.S.-born children is not only unconstitutional — it’s also a reckless and ruthless repudiation of American values,” Anthony Romero, the ACLU’s executive director, said in a statement.
In other orders, Trump suspended U.S. refugee resettlement for at least three months and ordered a review of security to see if travelers from certain nations should be subject to a travel ban.
The Republican president rolled back existing guidance for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers that prioritized serious criminals and broadened the scope of their enforcement, including targeting migrants with final deportation orders, a move that could help ramp up removals.
The nascent Trump administration took steps to gain control of the U.S. Justice Department immigration courts, firing four top immigration court officials, three sources familiar with the matter said.
Trump also kicked off a process to designate criminal cartels as foreign terrorist organizations and to utilize a 1798 law known as the Alien Enemies Act against foreign gang members.
-Reuters
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
DIPLOMACY
Morocco Secures Fresh German Backing on Sahara Plan as Strategic Ties Deepen

Morocco has received renewed diplomatic backing from Germany over its Autonomy Plan for Western Sahara, reinforcing Rabat’s growing international support base on one of its most sensitive national issues.
The endorsement came during the second session of the Morocco-Germany Multilateral Strategic Dialogue held in Rabat, where German official Johann Wadephul met with Morocco’s Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita.
In a joint declaration issued after the talks, Germany reaffirmed its position that Morocco’s autonomy initiative represents a “serious and credible basis” for achieving a final, mutually acceptable solution to the long-standing dispute over Western Sahara.
The declaration also welcomed UN Security Council Resolution 2797, adopted in October 2025, which endorses Morocco’s proposal as a framework for negotiations.
Germany further praised Morocco’s readiness to engage constructively with all parties to clarify the plan’s modalities, including how autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty would be implemented.
Strategic Partnership Expands
Beyond the Sahara question, the Rabat meeting underscored the expanding strategic partnership between Morocco and Germany.
Both countries agreed to deepen cooperation in security and defence, including military and armament collaboration, reflecting shared concerns over regional stability—particularly in the Sahel.
They also signalled progress toward easing travel restrictions, with ongoing discussions aimed at eliminating visa requirements for holders of service passports.
Germany described Morocco as a key partner not only bilaterally but also within broader international frameworks, including ties with the European Union and NATO.
Regional and Global Focus
Discussions extended to pressing international issues, with both sides emphasising the need for coordinated efforts to maintain peace and stability in volatile regions.
Germany commended Morocco’s proactive diplomatic role under King Mohammed VI, highlighting Rabat’s contributions to regional security and conflict resolution.
On the Middle East, both ministers called for strict adherence to ceasefire agreements and urged all parties to halt military operations, ensuring safe navigation through strategic waterways such as the Strait of Hormuz.
They also reaffirmed their support for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, advocating for a democratic and viable Palestinian state existing peacefully alongside Israel.
Germany specifically acknowledged Morocco’s engagement in Middle Eastern diplomacy, particularly through King Mohammed VI’s role as chairman of the Al Quds Committee.
Diplomatic Momentum for Rabat
The latest German endorsement adds to Morocco’s growing diplomatic momentum on the Western Sahara issue, as Rabat continues to rally international support for its autonomy proposal.
For Morocco, the Rabat dialogue represents more than routine diplomacy—it is a strategic consolidation of alliances, reinforcing its position on the global stage while advancing its vision for a negotiated resolution to one of Africa’s longest-running disputes.
DIPLOMACY
VIDEO: Algerian Candidate’s ‘European’ Remark Sparks Debate Ahead of Pan-African Parliament Race

A fresh controversy has emerged ahead of the race for the presidency of the Pan-African Parliament, following remarks by Algerian contender Fateh Boutbig describing Algeria as “almost a European country.”
The comment has drawn sharp reactions across diplomatic and political circles, raising questions about Algeria’s positioning within the African continental agenda at a time it is actively campaigning for top roles within the African Union system.
Boutbig, considered one of the leading candidates for the PAP presidency, remarked in a context that observers say reflects a broader narrative among some Algerian officials who often highlight proximity to Europe as a marker of economic and developmental progress.
The statement has, however, triggered criticism from analysts who argue that such positioning could undermine confidence in Algeria’s commitment to advancing African integration and identity.
The controversy is further deepened by Algeria’s ongoing efforts to expand its economic footprint across the continent while simultaneously promoting its national products in European markets through officials like Kamel Rezig.
Political observers say the mixed messaging risks portraying Algeria’s African engagement as strategic rather than ideological, especially at a time when the Pan-African Parliament is expected to play a stronger role in shaping continental unity and policy direction.
“The leadership of the Pan-African Parliament requires a clear belief in Africa’s potential,” a regional policy analyst noted. “Any suggestion that progress is measured by proximity to Europe could weaken a candidate’s standing among member states.”
Boutbig’s opponents are already seizing on the remark, framing it as evidence that his political outlook may be more aligned with external benchmarks than with Africa’s development priorities.
The Pan-African Parliament, as the legislative arm of the African Union, plays a key role in promoting democratic governance, integration, and cooperation among member states. Its leadership contest is often closely watched as a reflection of broader geopolitical alignments within the continent.
As campaigning intensifies, Boutbig’s comment is likely to remain a focal point in debates over identity, loyalty, and the future direction of Africa’s continental institutions.
DIPLOMACY
From Brotherhood to Bitterness: AFCON Fallout Tests Senegal–Morocco Longstanding Bond

Dakar and Rabat have longstanding ties, but relations have been strained since the Africa Cup of Nations final, which Senegal won in mid-January before being stripped of the title, which was transferred to Morocco.
Now the AFCON trophy is something of a thorn in the two countries’ sides.
On Rue Mohamed V, the street where Moroccan vendors are based in the Senegalese capital, a police van is parked.
“The police have been on high alert since the Confederation of African Football (CAF) decided to award the title to Morocco, but there have been no incidents,” a local resident told AFP.
CAF stripped Senegal of its title on March 17, over the team’s angry departure from the pitch after a penalty was awarded to Morocco late in second-half stoppage time.
In a photo the following day, Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye was seen in his office with the trophy behind him.
Senegal has lodged an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the matter, and some fans have meanwhile called for a boycott of Moroccan goods.
On March 18, Dakar called for an international investigation into “allegations of corruption within the CAF leadership” in a statement that sent a chill through Morocco.
“An official (Senegalese) document mentioned corruption. It insinuates that Morocco is the corrupting influence without, of course, any evidence and this could have repercussions,” Morocco’s Aziz Daouda, a track and field official and former athlete, told AFP.
He added that “comments made by certain Senegalese football officials are damaging relations” between the two countries, referring to allegations that Morocco controls CAF.
‘Hostages’ of Morocco
One of Senegal’s points of contention is the detention of 18 Senegalese football fans in Morocco for more than two months now.
They were sentenced on February 19 to prison terms ranging from three months to a year for hooliganism.
Minutes before the end of the match, some Senegalese supporters attempted to storm the pitch while Senegal’s players halted the game for nearly 20 minutes in protest of the late penalty to Morocco.
The appeal hearing for the 18 fans was postponed for a second time on Monday until April 13.
Dozens of demonstrators in Dakar called for their release at the end of February, describing them as “hostages” of Morocco.
“One gets the impression that this affair goes beyond the realm of sport and that is regrettable. For two countries that claim to be friends, such as Morocco and Senegal, things should not have come to this,” Senegalese Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko said in late February, lamenting the supporters’ convictions.
That said, Morocco’s relationship with Senegal is “unique, specific and extraordinary”, Senegal’s Director of Religious Affairs Djim Ousmane Drame said in a recent article.
“Morocco has always been the only (African) country with which diplomatic relations with Senegal are based on an emotional bond and popular appeal, beyond the institutions and bilateral ties,” Bakary Sambe of the Timbuktu Institute think tank told AFP.
Fez, for example, is a favourite destination for many Senegalese Muslim followers of Tidianism, an influential brotherhood in Senegal whose founder, Cheikh Ahmed Tidiane, is buried there.
Moroccan authorities meanwhile made no comment and “preferred not to get involved in this football affair” following the CAF decision, Daouda said.
Business, diplomacy partners
In late January in Rabat, Moroccan Prime Minister Aziz Akhannouch spoke of a “natural, lasting” relationship with Senegal where he said Morocco has invested more than $540 million.
Many Moroccan companies operate in Senegal, particularly in the food, pharmaceutical, energy, construction, mining, banking and insurance sectors.
On the international stage, the two countries’ diplomatic views are generally aligned.
Senegalese nationals constitute the largest group of foreign residents in the kingdom (18.4 percent), according to official figures, and a robust student exchange also exists between the two countries.
“There are many of us on both sides trying to calm down all those hotheads from both camps who enjoy spreading irresponsible claims, lots of ‘fake news’ and plenty of insults,” Daouda said.
Former Senegalese foreign minister Cheikh Tidiane Gadio wrote in early February that “a hundred minutes of football will never be able to ruin a thousand years of close ties between Senegal and Morocco”.
-AFP
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
World Cup1 week agoFIFA Plans Three Opening Ceremonies in All Host Nations for 2026 World Cup
-
World Cup1 week agoUnited States Unveils Hollywood-Style FIFA World Cup 2026 Opening Ceremony
-
World Cup4 days agoUS drops bond requirement for World Cup ticket holders
-
World Cup1 week agoMexico president wavers on plan to cut school year by 40 days for the World Cup
-
World Cup1 week agoBurna Boy Joins Shakira for Official 2026 World Cup Song ‘Dai Dai’
-
Nigerian Football5 days agoNPFL at 36: Why Nigeria’s League Top Scorers Rarely Become Super Eagles Legends
-
Nigerian Football5 days agoNPFL at 36: From Long Debate to Nigeria’s Football Showpiece
-
World Cup4 days agoMagic Johnson Leads Campaign to Showcase Los Angeles Ahead of World Cup