DIPLOMACY
After taking office, Trump pardons 1,500 Jan. 6 defendants
Donald Trump pardoned about 1,500 of his supporters who attacked the U.S. Capitol four years ago as he moved swiftly to impose his will on the U.S. government just hours after reclaiming the presidency on Monday.
After a day of ceremony, Trump signed a series of executive actions to curb immigration and roll back environmental regulations and racial and gender diversity initiatives. He did not take immediate action to raise tariffs, a key campaign promise, but said he could impose 25% duties on Canada and Mexico on Feb. 1.
His decision to pardon supporters who attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, is sure to enrage police, lawmakers and others whose lives were put at risk during an unprecedented episode in modern U.S. history.
Roughly 140 police officers were assaulted during the attack, with some sprayed with chemical irritants and others struck with pipes, poles and other weapons. Four people died during the chaos, including a Trump supporter who was shot dead by police.
Trump ordered 14 leaders of the far-right Oath Keepers and Proud Boys militant groups, who were serving long prison sentences, released from prison early, but left their convictions intact.
Earlier in the day, Trump, 78, took the oath of office in the Capitol Rotunda, where a mob of his supporters had rampaged on Jan. 6 in an unsuccessful attempt to reverse his 2020 loss to Joe Biden.
At the ceremony, Trump portrayed himself as a saviour chosen by God to rescue a faltering nation.
“I was saved by God to make America great again,” he said.
Trump is the first president in more than a century to win a second term after losing the White House and the first felon to occupy the White House. The oldest president ever to be sworn in, he is backed by Republican majorities in both chambers of Congress.
Trump moved quickly to clamp down on illegal immigration, a signature issue since he first entered politics in 2015.
Shortly after he took the oath of office, U.S. border authorities shut down a program that allowed hundreds of thousands of migrants to enter the U.S. legally by scheduling an appointment through a smartphone. Existing appointments were canceled.
Nearly 1,660 Afghans who had been cleared by the U.S. government to resettle in the U.S., including family members of active-duty U.S. military personnel, were having their flights canceled under a Trump order suspending U.S. refugee programs, a U.S. official and a leading refugee resettlement advocate said on Monday.
BORDER EMERGENCY DECLARED, CLIMATE DEAL NIXED
At the White House, Trump signed an order that declared a national emergency at the U.S.-Mexico border, which would unlock funding and allow him to dispatch troops there. He signed an order that would end a policy that confers citizenship to those born in the United States, which is certain to trigger a lengthy court fight. Another executive order designated Mexican drug cartels as terrorist organizations.
Trump once again withdrew the United States from the Paris climate deal, removing the world’s biggest historic emitter from global efforts to fight climate change for the second time in a decade.
“We’re getting rid of all the cancer … caused by the Biden administration,” Trump said as he signed a stack of executive orders in the Oval Office.
His inauguration amounts to a triumphant return for a political disruptor who survived two assassination attempts and won the election despite a criminal conviction and a prosecution stemming from his efforts to overturn his 2020 election loss.
Other orders revoked Biden administration policies governing artificial intelligence and electric vehicles. He also imposed a freeze on federal hiring and ordered government workers to return to the office, rather than working from home. He also signed paperwork to create a “Department of Government Efficiency,” an outside advisory board headed by billionaire Elon Musk that aims to cut large swaths of government spending.
In the State Department, more than a dozen nonpartisan senior diplomats were asked to resign as part of a broader plan to replace nonpartisan civil servants with loyalists.
He also said he would issue orders to scrap federal diversity programs and require the government to recognize only genders assigned at birth.
While Trump sought to portray himself as a peacemaker and unifier during his half-hour speech, his tone was often sharply partisan. He repeated false claims from his campaign that other countries were emptying their prisons into America and voiced familiar grievances over his criminal prosecutions.
With Biden seated nearby, Trump issued a stinging indictment of his predecessor’s policies from immigration to foreign affairs.
“We have a government that has given unlimited funding to the defense of foreign borders, but refuses to defend American borders, or more importantly, its own people,” Trump said.
Numerous tech executives who have sought to curry favor with the incoming administration – including the three richest men in the world, Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, Amazon founder Jeff Bezos and Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg – had prominent seats on stage, next to cabinet nominees and members of Trump’s family.
Trump said he would send astronauts to Mars, prompting Musk – who has long talked about colonizing the planet – to raise his fists.
Trump vowed to change the name of the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America and repeated his intention to take back control of the Panama Canal, one of several foreign policy pronouncements that have caused consternation among U.S. allies.
RETURN TO POWER
Trump took the oath of office to “preserve, protect and defend” the U.S. Constitution at 12:01 p.m. ET (1701 GMT), administered by Chief Justice John Roberts. His vice president, JD Vance, was sworn in just before him.
Outgoing Vice President Kamala Harris, who lost to Trump in November, was seated next to Biden in a section with former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush and Bill Clinton. Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who lost to Trump in 2016, sat with her husband Bill. Obama’s wife, Michelle, chose not to attend.
The ceremony was moved indoors due to the extreme cold gripping much of the country.
Trump skipped Biden’s inauguration and has continued to claim falsely that the 2020 election he lost to Biden was rigged.
Biden, in one of his last official acts, pardoned several people whom Trump has threatened with retaliation, including General Mark Milley, a former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who Trump has suggested should be executed for holding back-channel talks with China. Milley’s portrait was removed from the Pentagon shortly after Trump’s inauguration.
He also pardoned five family members minutes before leaving office, citing fears that Trump would target them.
Reuters
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
DIPLOMACY
Morocco Secures Fresh German Backing on Sahara Plan as Strategic Ties Deepen

Morocco has received renewed diplomatic backing from Germany over its Autonomy Plan for Western Sahara, reinforcing Rabat’s growing international support base on one of its most sensitive national issues.
The endorsement came during the second session of the Morocco-Germany Multilateral Strategic Dialogue held in Rabat, where German official Johann Wadephul met with Morocco’s Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita.
In a joint declaration issued after the talks, Germany reaffirmed its position that Morocco’s autonomy initiative represents a “serious and credible basis” for achieving a final, mutually acceptable solution to the long-standing dispute over Western Sahara.
The declaration also welcomed UN Security Council Resolution 2797, adopted in October 2025, which endorses Morocco’s proposal as a framework for negotiations.
Germany further praised Morocco’s readiness to engage constructively with all parties to clarify the plan’s modalities, including how autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty would be implemented.
Strategic Partnership Expands
Beyond the Sahara question, the Rabat meeting underscored the expanding strategic partnership between Morocco and Germany.
Both countries agreed to deepen cooperation in security and defence, including military and armament collaboration, reflecting shared concerns over regional stability—particularly in the Sahel.
They also signalled progress toward easing travel restrictions, with ongoing discussions aimed at eliminating visa requirements for holders of service passports.
Germany described Morocco as a key partner not only bilaterally but also within broader international frameworks, including ties with the European Union and NATO.
Regional and Global Focus
Discussions extended to pressing international issues, with both sides emphasising the need for coordinated efforts to maintain peace and stability in volatile regions.
Germany commended Morocco’s proactive diplomatic role under King Mohammed VI, highlighting Rabat’s contributions to regional security and conflict resolution.
On the Middle East, both ministers called for strict adherence to ceasefire agreements and urged all parties to halt military operations, ensuring safe navigation through strategic waterways such as the Strait of Hormuz.
They also reaffirmed their support for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, advocating for a democratic and viable Palestinian state existing peacefully alongside Israel.
Germany specifically acknowledged Morocco’s engagement in Middle Eastern diplomacy, particularly through King Mohammed VI’s role as chairman of the Al Quds Committee.
Diplomatic Momentum for Rabat
The latest German endorsement adds to Morocco’s growing diplomatic momentum on the Western Sahara issue, as Rabat continues to rally international support for its autonomy proposal.
For Morocco, the Rabat dialogue represents more than routine diplomacy—it is a strategic consolidation of alliances, reinforcing its position on the global stage while advancing its vision for a negotiated resolution to one of Africa’s longest-running disputes.
DIPLOMACY
VIDEO: Algerian Candidate’s ‘European’ Remark Sparks Debate Ahead of Pan-African Parliament Race

A fresh controversy has emerged ahead of the race for the presidency of the Pan-African Parliament, following remarks by Algerian contender Fateh Boutbig describing Algeria as “almost a European country.”
The comment has drawn sharp reactions across diplomatic and political circles, raising questions about Algeria’s positioning within the African continental agenda at a time it is actively campaigning for top roles within the African Union system.
Boutbig, considered one of the leading candidates for the PAP presidency, remarked in a context that observers say reflects a broader narrative among some Algerian officials who often highlight proximity to Europe as a marker of economic and developmental progress.
The statement has, however, triggered criticism from analysts who argue that such positioning could undermine confidence in Algeria’s commitment to advancing African integration and identity.
The controversy is further deepened by Algeria’s ongoing efforts to expand its economic footprint across the continent while simultaneously promoting its national products in European markets through officials like Kamel Rezig.
Political observers say the mixed messaging risks portraying Algeria’s African engagement as strategic rather than ideological, especially at a time when the Pan-African Parliament is expected to play a stronger role in shaping continental unity and policy direction.
“The leadership of the Pan-African Parliament requires a clear belief in Africa’s potential,” a regional policy analyst noted. “Any suggestion that progress is measured by proximity to Europe could weaken a candidate’s standing among member states.”
Boutbig’s opponents are already seizing on the remark, framing it as evidence that his political outlook may be more aligned with external benchmarks than with Africa’s development priorities.
The Pan-African Parliament, as the legislative arm of the African Union, plays a key role in promoting democratic governance, integration, and cooperation among member states. Its leadership contest is often closely watched as a reflection of broader geopolitical alignments within the continent.
As campaigning intensifies, Boutbig’s comment is likely to remain a focal point in debates over identity, loyalty, and the future direction of Africa’s continental institutions.
DIPLOMACY
From Brotherhood to Bitterness: AFCON Fallout Tests Senegal–Morocco Longstanding Bond

Dakar and Rabat have longstanding ties, but relations have been strained since the Africa Cup of Nations final, which Senegal won in mid-January before being stripped of the title, which was transferred to Morocco.
Now the AFCON trophy is something of a thorn in the two countries’ sides.
On Rue Mohamed V, the street where Moroccan vendors are based in the Senegalese capital, a police van is parked.
“The police have been on high alert since the Confederation of African Football (CAF) decided to award the title to Morocco, but there have been no incidents,” a local resident told AFP.
CAF stripped Senegal of its title on March 17, over the team’s angry departure from the pitch after a penalty was awarded to Morocco late in second-half stoppage time.
In a photo the following day, Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye was seen in his office with the trophy behind him.
Senegal has lodged an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the matter, and some fans have meanwhile called for a boycott of Moroccan goods.
On March 18, Dakar called for an international investigation into “allegations of corruption within the CAF leadership” in a statement that sent a chill through Morocco.
“An official (Senegalese) document mentioned corruption. It insinuates that Morocco is the corrupting influence without, of course, any evidence and this could have repercussions,” Morocco’s Aziz Daouda, a track and field official and former athlete, told AFP.
He added that “comments made by certain Senegalese football officials are damaging relations” between the two countries, referring to allegations that Morocco controls CAF.
‘Hostages’ of Morocco
One of Senegal’s points of contention is the detention of 18 Senegalese football fans in Morocco for more than two months now.
They were sentenced on February 19 to prison terms ranging from three months to a year for hooliganism.
Minutes before the end of the match, some Senegalese supporters attempted to storm the pitch while Senegal’s players halted the game for nearly 20 minutes in protest of the late penalty to Morocco.
The appeal hearing for the 18 fans was postponed for a second time on Monday until April 13.
Dozens of demonstrators in Dakar called for their release at the end of February, describing them as “hostages” of Morocco.
“One gets the impression that this affair goes beyond the realm of sport and that is regrettable. For two countries that claim to be friends, such as Morocco and Senegal, things should not have come to this,” Senegalese Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko said in late February, lamenting the supporters’ convictions.
That said, Morocco’s relationship with Senegal is “unique, specific and extraordinary”, Senegal’s Director of Religious Affairs Djim Ousmane Drame said in a recent article.
“Morocco has always been the only (African) country with which diplomatic relations with Senegal are based on an emotional bond and popular appeal, beyond the institutions and bilateral ties,” Bakary Sambe of the Timbuktu Institute think tank told AFP.
Fez, for example, is a favourite destination for many Senegalese Muslim followers of Tidianism, an influential brotherhood in Senegal whose founder, Cheikh Ahmed Tidiane, is buried there.
Moroccan authorities meanwhile made no comment and “preferred not to get involved in this football affair” following the CAF decision, Daouda said.
Business, diplomacy partners
In late January in Rabat, Moroccan Prime Minister Aziz Akhannouch spoke of a “natural, lasting” relationship with Senegal where he said Morocco has invested more than $540 million.
Many Moroccan companies operate in Senegal, particularly in the food, pharmaceutical, energy, construction, mining, banking and insurance sectors.
On the international stage, the two countries’ diplomatic views are generally aligned.
Senegalese nationals constitute the largest group of foreign residents in the kingdom (18.4 percent), according to official figures, and a robust student exchange also exists between the two countries.
“There are many of us on both sides trying to calm down all those hotheads from both camps who enjoy spreading irresponsible claims, lots of ‘fake news’ and plenty of insults,” Daouda said.
Former Senegalese foreign minister Cheikh Tidiane Gadio wrote in early February that “a hundred minutes of football will never be able to ruin a thousand years of close ties between Senegal and Morocco”.
-AFP
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
World Cup1 week agoFIFA Plans Three Opening Ceremonies in All Host Nations for 2026 World Cup
-
World Cup1 week agoUnited States Unveils Hollywood-Style FIFA World Cup 2026 Opening Ceremony
-
World Cup4 days agoUS drops bond requirement for World Cup ticket holders
-
World Cup1 week agoMexico president wavers on plan to cut school year by 40 days for the World Cup
-
World Cup1 week agoBurna Boy Joins Shakira for Official 2026 World Cup Song ‘Dai Dai’
-
Nigerian Football5 days agoNPFL at 36: Why Nigeria’s League Top Scorers Rarely Become Super Eagles Legends
-
Nigerian Football5 days agoNPFL at 36: From Long Debate to Nigeria’s Football Showpiece
-
World Cup4 days agoMagic Johnson Leads Campaign to Showcase Los Angeles Ahead of World Cup