Connect with us

La Liga

Messi keen on rejoining Barcelona, says father

blank

Published

on

Ligue 1 - Paris St Germain v Clermont - Parc de Princes, Paris, France - June 3, 2023 Paris St Germain's Lionel Messi REUTERS/Benoit Tessier/File Photo

Lionel Messi, who last week played his last game for Paris St Germain, is open to making a return to LaLiga side Barcelona, the Argentine forward’s father said on Monday.

Barca were forced to let their talisman leave in 2021 because his high wages coupled with strict LaLiga financial rules could have jeopardised the club’s future.

Messi, who joined Barcelona’s youth set-up aged 13 and went on to become the club’s all-time top scorer and appearance maker with 672 goals in 778 games in all competitions, moved to PSG as a free agent on a two-year contract.

Barcelona’s finances have slightly improved since then, but according to LaLiga, they are still over the cap and remain unable to register new contracts signed months ago, including defender Ronald Araujo and midfielder Gavi.

The LaLiga champions’ president Joan Laporta has often spoken of his desire to bring Messi back to Camp Nou, but any move for the 35-year-old would likely further complicate their ability to adhere to Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules.

Advertisement

“Leo wants to return to Barca and I would also like him to return. We are confident that Leo can come back,” Messi’s father Jorge said in an interview with Twitch channel Jijantes FC.

Messi, who led Argentina to the World Cup title in Qatar and also boasts a record seven Ballon d’Or awards, won the Ligue 1 title in the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons with PSG as well as the French Super Cup in July 2022.

However, he opted not to renew his deal with the Ligue 1 champions.

His future has been the subject of much speculation recently, with a source close to the Argentina captain telling Reuters that he had received a formal offer to join Saudi Arabian club Al-Hilal next season.

A move to Saudi Arabia would see him once again playing in the same league as rival and Al Nassr star Cristiano Ronaldo, while Real Madrid striker Karim Benzema is also expected to complete a move to the Middle Eastern nation.

Advertisement

The United States’ Major League Soccer club Inter Miami have also been touted as a possible destination for Messi.

-Reuters

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

La Liga

Barcelona seal 29th LaLiga title with 2-0 Clasico win over Real Madrid

blank

Published

on

blank
LaLiga - FC Barcelona v Real Madrid - Spotify Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain - May 10, 2026 FC Barcelona players and coach Hansi Flick celebrate with the trophy after winning the LaLiga REUTERS/Albert Gea

Barcelona turned the Clasico into a coronation ​on Sunday, swatting aside Real Madrid 2-0 at a roaring Camp Nou to claim their 29th LaLiga ‌title.

Hansi Flick’s side moved to an unassailable 91 points, 14 clear of second-placed Real with three games remaining.

The triumph capped a dominant campaign in which they lost only four league matches. Villarreal are third on 69 points.

Real arrived needing victory to keep their wafer-thin title hopes alive, but Marcus ​Rashford crushed those aspirations just nine minutes into the game.

Antonio Rudiger fouled Ferran Torres just outside the box, and ​Rashford bent a superb free kick into Thibaut Courtois’ top-left corner, giving Barcelona the early ⁠lead and sending the home crowd into raptures.

Advertisement

Nine minutes later, Barcelona doubled the lead. Fermin Lopez crossed into the ​area, and Dani Olmo produced a clever backheel that sent the ball into the path of Torres, who rifled a ​fierce strike into the top corner.

The win completed back-to-back league titles for Flick, who also delivered the LaLiga and Copa del Rey double in his first season last year.

Both sides were heavily depleted. Barcelona were without Lamine Yamal, Raphinha and Jules Kounde from the starting ​lineup.

Real’s list of missing players was longer, with Eder Militao, Dani Carvajal, Ferland Mendy, Arda Guler and Rodrygo all absent. Federico ​Valverde also missed out after suffering a head injury following a midweek changing-room fight with team-mate Aurelien Tchouameni, with both players ‌fined 500,000 ⁠euros over the incident.

Kylian Mbappe did not travel because of a leg muscle injury, forcing manager Alvaro Arbeloa to start Vinicius Jr alongside academy striker Gonzalo, with Jude Bellingham and Brahim Diaz pushing forward in support.

Advertisement

Real threatened through Vinicius and Gonzalo before halftime, but Barcelona carried the greater menace. Courtois kept the visitors alive with fine saves from Torres ​and Rashford before the interval.

Barcelona ​continued to press after the ⁠break, Rashford repeatedly tormenting left back Fran Garcia down the right, while Courtois produced another sharp stop with his left foot to deny Torres from point-blank range in the ​56th minute.

Bellingham had a goal ruled out for offside in the 62nd minute, and ​Joan Garcia was quick to ⁠deny Vinicius in a one-on-one, preventing the Brazilian from lifting the ball over him.

Real kept probing late on, but there was little bite in their attack, and Barcelona calmly saw out the win before the title celebrations began.

“This title is even ⁠more special ​because we won it at home against Real Madrid. Now it’s time ​to enjoy it with the fans,” Frenkie de Jong told Spanish broadcaster Movistar Plus.

Advertisement

“Every title has to be celebrated in style. Especially LaLiga, which ​is a year-long competition. We’ve clearly been the best in Spain.”

-Reuters

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

La Liga

Two goalkeepers sent off for stoppage-time punching brawl in Spanish derby

blank

Published

on

blank

Real Zaragoza goalkeeper Esteban Andrada was sent off for punching Huesca captain Jorge Pulido in a fiery ​Spanish second division clash on Sunday that descended into ‌a mass brawl, with Huesca keeper Dani Jimenez dismissed for punching Andrada.

Zaragoza’s Dani Tasende was also dismissed after a VAR review ​of the brawl.

With tensions simmering in a relegation scrap, ​Argentine Andrada lost his composure moments before the ⁠final whistle. Ignoring the run of play, he approached ​Pulido and struck him in the face with his right ​hand, sparking chaotic scenes eight minutes into stoppage time.

It was an ugly flashpoint in a match already short on finesse and heavy on ​nerves, and could carry serious consequences for the goalkeeper.

Huesca ​manager Jose Luis did not attempt to defend the scenes.

Advertisement

“It’s hard ‌to ⁠explain; I think it’s a complete loss of control. I can put myself in their shoes, given what was at stake and all. But it’s unjustifiable. It’s just that ​I don’t know ​what to ⁠do or how to stop it; a brawl breaks out,” he said.

“It’s ugly; this was ​supposed to be a celebration of Aragonese ​football. I’d ⁠like people to talk about the match, even though it was ugly, with little play but a lot of ⁠hard work.”

Oscar ​Sielva’s goal secured a 1-0 ​win for Huesca, lifting them to 36 points in 19th place, while Zaragoza ​remain second-bottom on 35.

-Reuters

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement

Continue Reading

La Liga

Laporta re-elected as Barcelona president

blank

Published

on

blank
 FC Barcelona elections - Barcelona, Spain - March 16, 2026 Joan Laporta celebrates his victory after being re-elected as FC Barcelona president REUTERS/Albert Gea

Joan Laporta has been re-elected as ​Barcelona president after winning ‌over 68 percent of the vote and ​will begin his ​second consecutive term, and fourth ⁠overall, from July ​1, the club said ​on Sunday.

The 63-year-old took office in March 2021 and stepped ​down last month ​in line with club statutes ‌in ⁠order to seek re-election.

Laporta described the election as a “celebration of ​democracy and ​civic ⁠responsibility” and said the tasks ​ahead included finishing ​work ⁠on the Camp Nou and strengthening the ⁠men’s ​team.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Most Viewed