Other Leagues
Nigerian player declared missing by Egyptian club
A former player with Lobi Stars and Plateau United, Raphael Ayagwa has been declared missing by his club in Egypt, Aswan.
The player who features in the midfield is believed to have returned to his hometown in Nigeria to get married.
But according to Egyptian news outlet, Ahram, Aswan’s president, Elshafie Saleh on Saturday claimed the Nigerian player left without permission.
The 25-year-old player however claimed in an interview with Egyptian TV channel ON Time Sports on Wednesday that he had informed the club management that he wanted to travel home for medical treatment.
The club’s president vehemently denied the claim.
“The player’s current contract is running until 2025. He played a full game against Zamalek on 18 May but the following day, the club was informed by the hotel about Ayagwa’s sudden departure,” Saleh told ON Time Sports TV channel early on Saturday.
“Ayagwa claimed that he is suffering from an injury and this is totally untrue as evidenced by his participation in the last game before departure,” he added.
The club president further claimed that Ayagwa did not inform the club about his travel plans, despite having booked the ticket on 8 May.
“Ayagwa is one of the team’s key players and we have fulfilled all his financial obligations through his last game. However, we were taken by surprise when we learned about the wedding that was scheduled for 26 May,” the Aswan president explained.
“The player requested the club to arrange a return visa for him, and we will fulfill this request. However, he will face disciplinary action for his behavior,” he concluded.
Saleh added that the Aswan club has informed the Egyptian Football Association (EFA) and FIFA to protect the club’s rights in this matter.
Ayagwa, who joined Aswan on a free transfer from Nigerian club Lobi Stars on 10 October 2022, has made 23 appearances in the Egyptian Premier League thus far.
Aswan currently occupies the 14th position in the league table with 31 points from 29 matches, trailing leaders Ahly by 28 points, with Ahly still having six games in hand.
Other Leagues
First ‘daylight offside’ goal allowed in Canadian Premier League

A goal scored under soccer’s experimental “daylight” offside rule was allowed for the first time in a professional match on Saturday, with Pacific FC forward Alejandro Diaz on target in a 2-2 draw with Halifax Wanderers in the Canadian Premier League.
The strike would have been ruled out under the standard International Football Association Board Laws of the Game, but stood under the CPL’s ongoing trial conducted in cooperation with FIFA.
The Canadian league is testing the rule this season as part of efforts to reduce marginal offside decisions and encourage attacking play.
Under the system, an attacker is only deemed offside if there is clear “daylight” between them and the second-last defender, rather than being penalised for narrowly being ahead.
The concept, long advocated by former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger in his role as FIFA’s head of global football development, is being assessed in Canada as a potential change to the offside law.
Diaz’s goal marked the first in-game application of the interpretation, which resulted directly in a goal, offering a glimpse of how the rule could alter attacking patterns and defensive positioning.
The CPL, which launched the trial earlier this month, has provided FIFA with a professional testing ground for the proposal as soccer’s world governing body evaluates whether to expand its use more broadly.
Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
Other Leagues
Al-Ahly keeper El-Shenawy banned four games for striking referee

Al-Ahly goalkeeper Mohamed El-Shenawy was handed a four-match ban after striking a referee on the head following a 1-1 draw with Ceramica Cleopatra, the Egyptian Pro League said on Thursday.
The Egypt international, who was on the bench for Tuesday’s game, was incensed after Al-Ahly’s appeal for a penalty following a handball in stoppage time was denied.
“He handed a four‑match ban and fined 50,000 Egyptian pounds ($942) for assaulting the referee by pushing or pulling (use of the hand without violence),” the league said in a statement.
The ban means El-Shenawy, who is expected to be Egypt’s starting goalkeeper at the World Cup in North America, will be sidelined until the final week of the league play-offs.
Al-Ahly are third on 41 points, five points behind leaders Zamalek.
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
Other Leagues
Another Napoli Star Joins Osimhen as Galatasaray Sign Noa Lang on Loan

Galatasaray have strengthened their squad with another Napoli player, announcing on Friday that Dutch winger Noa Lang has joined the Turkish champions on loan for the remainder of the season, linking up with former Napoli player, Victor Osimhen in Istanbul.
The Super Lig giants confirmed that they have reached an agreement with Napoli for the temporary transfer of the 15-cap Netherlands international, with the deal including a non-mandatory purchase option that Galatasaray may activate at the end of the season.
Under the terms of the agreement, Galatasaray will pay €2 million as a loan fee to Napoli, while Lang will earn a seasonal salary of €1.75 million, according to a statement released by the club.
Lang joined Napoli last year from PSV Eindhoven but struggled to fully establish himself in Italy. He featured in 27 matches across all competitions, scoring once during his time with the Serie A side.
His arrival adds attacking depth to Galatasaray and further strengthens the Napoli connection at the club, with Osimhen already a central figure in their squad as they continue to push for domestic success and progress in European competition.
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
World Cup4 days agoFIFA Plans Three Opening Ceremonies in All Host Nations for 2026 World Cup
-
World Cup3 days agoUnited States Unveils Hollywood-Style FIFA World Cup 2026 Opening Ceremony
-
World Cup4 days agoMexico president wavers on plan to cut school year by 40 days for the World Cup
-
World Cup5 days agoBurna Boy Joins Shakira for Official 2026 World Cup Song ‘Dai Dai’
-
World Cup1 week agoDespite 2026 Absence, Nigeria Still Leads Africa’s World Cup Winners’ Chart
-
Premier League4 days agoMan United’s Fernandes and City’s Shaw win FWA Footballer of the Year awards
-
Nigerian Football4 days agoSporting Lagos Crowned 2026 NNL Champions After Dramatic Super Four Finale
-
Premier League2 days agoArsenal survive huge scare to edge towards title