Connect with us

Uncategorized

Man City thrash Bayern 3-0 as Haaland reaches another milestone

Published

on

Rodri struck a wonder goal and Erling Haaland set another scoring record as Manchester City beat Bayern Munich 3-0 on Tuesday to continue their quest for a first-ever Champions League title in their quarter-final first leg.

Haaland, who scored City’s third goal of the night in the 76th minute, has 45 goals in all competitions, a single-season record for a Premier League player, moving ahead of Mo Salah and Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Rodri put Pep Guardiola’s team ahead in the 27th minute, cutting the ball back to beat midfielder Jamal Musiala and curling a blistering long-range shot into the top left corner beyond the outstretched hand of Yann Sommer.

“I know that this Bayern team is special,” said Guardiola, who managed Bayern from 2013-16. “We got a good result, but we need two strong games. Anything can happen at Allianz Arena. I know that because I was at Bayern for three years.”

Rodri celebrated with a long knee slide on the rain-soaked turf at the Etihad, while Bayern’s new manager Thomas Tuchel threw up his hands in disgust en route to his team’s biggest defeat in the Champions League since a 3-0 loss to Paris St Germain in 2017.

Advertisement

“It was very special for me to score my first goal in the Champions League. At that moment we were struggling because they are a great, great team,” Rodri told BT Sport.

“Sometimes we understand we cannot have 80% possession. They play too. We scored three and could score four but it is a great result.”

What had been an evenly matched game turned thoroughly in City’s favour midway through the second half, and Bernardo Silva scored their second in the 70th minute, heading in a cross from Haaland. The Norwegian got a goal of his own six minutes later, striking from close range.

“This never happens to Bayern Munich but credit to Manchester City, they were brilliant in both boxes,” former Bayern player Owen Hargreaves said on BT Sport. “Pep had a game plan and it worked beautifully.”

Sommer had a busy night and was pressed into action early, almost gifting Haaland a goal in the 14th minute. Taking too long to clear the ball, the striker bulldozed in and got his foot on the ball two yards from the net, but it flew wide.

Advertisement

City midfielder Ilkay Gundogan had a brilliant chance in the 34th minute, but Sommer, who was on the ground, stuck a leg out to save what looked like a certain goal.

Ruben Dias’s flick in the second half looked bound for the net, but Sommer tipped it over the crossbar. However, he was helpless to stop Silva and then Haaland from completing the win.

Guardiola faced a familiar foe in Tuchel, who was Chelsea manager when they triumphed over City in the final in 2021.

The Spaniard has won four Premier League titles, one FA Cup and four League Cups at City but European success has eluded the manager who won the trophy twice when in charge of Barcelona.

His confidence will be high that he can end that drought ahead of the second leg, which takes place on April 19 at Munich’s Allianz Arena.

Advertisement

“We don’t think it is done. They are a good team and we are happy with the performance but we will have to try to win the game,” Rodri added.

-Reuters

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Uncategorized

Colombian football president arrested

Published

on

The president of the Colombian Football Federation, Ramón Jesurun,

The president of the Colombian Football Federation, Ramón Jesurun, was arrested in Miami following an incident at the Copa America final on Sunday, according to a police report released on Monday.

According to a Miami-Dade County police report, Jesurun was arrested on Sunday night for “battery on an officer/employee” at the Hard Rock Stadium, where the 2024 Copa America final was played. Colombia lost 1-0 to Argentina in extra time thanks to a Lautaro Martinez goal.

Chaos reigned around the 65,300-capacity multi-sport stadium in the US suburb of Miami Gardens, north of Miami, Florida.

Many fans (some without tickets) rushed the gates of the NFL’s Miami Dolphins stadium, pushing people to the ground and trying to sneak into the stadium through large air conditioning vents, causing several delays totalling 80 minutes.

Jesurun, 71, was unable to enter the field with his son and other family members after the game for the awards ceremony, where Jesurun’s son reportedly confronted a security guard who denied them access.

Advertisement

Jesurun, a CONMEBOL vice-president and CONMEBOL representative on the FIFA Council, was also involved in the altercation before police officers intervened, according to Colombian newspaper El Tiempo.

Miami-Dade police said 27 arrests were made and 55 people were ejected from the stadium during the match.

“I am extremely proud of our officers’ response to a volatile situation and their hard work to keep our community safe, as well as our law enforcement partners who provided critical support,” said Police Chief Stephanie Daniels.

“As part of the comprehensive analysis of last night’s game, we will review the protocols in place to ensure an orderly, safe and secure environment for all future events.”

In the wake of the scandal in the southern United States, where CONMEBOL decided to stage the Copa America despite the fact that the United States is not a member of the confederation but belongs to CONCACAF, the South American body said it had proposed procedures to the security organisers that were not used.

Advertisement

“Fans without tickets went to the vicinity of the stadium, which delayed the normal access of those who had tickets, slowed down the entry and led to the gates being closed,” CONMEBOL said in a statement, attempting to distance itself from the organisation’s responsibilities (for which it is responsible as the tournament’s organiser, although it has ceded them to the United States and its security forces).

“In this situation, CONMEBOL was subject to the decisions made by the authorities of the Hard Rock Stadium, in accordance with the contractual responsibilities established for the security operation.

“In addition to the provisions established in the said contract, CONMEBOL recommended to these authorities the procedures tested in events of this magnitude, which were NOT taken into account.”

“We regret that the acts of violence perpetrated by ill-intentioned people have marred a final that should have been a great celebration of sport,” concluded the organisation, led by Paraguayan Alejandro Domínguez.

-insidethegames

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Manu Garba proud of Eaglets as team countenances Niger Republic

Published

on

Coach Manu Garba has asserted that he is proud of the Golden Eaglets after Thursday’s scoreless encounter with their Burkina Faso counterparts in the Group B opener of the WAFU B U17 Championship.

 Five-time champions Nigeria created several scoring chances particularly late in the game at the Accra University Stadium, but failed to utilise even one that could have earned them the three points and handed them early leadership of the pool.

 However, Garba said the boys played a cohesive game in their first-ever international outing and deserve credit for their display.

 “We are proud of our team’s performance. Although we didn’t secure the win that we hoped for, our players showed great teamwork and sportsmanship. We look forward to our next match and the opportunity to continue growing and improving.

 “The boys will get better with experience and exposure.”

Advertisement

 Against the Burkinabes, the Eaglets showed flair and fluency, but a heavy downpour in the final 15 minutes of the game disrupted the general flow of play, with the pitch waterlogged and effective control and passing impossible.

 The Golden Eaglets go up against their counterparts from the Niger Republic on Sunday evening (6pm Ghana time; 7pm Nigeria) with renewed hope and vigour to pick up the three points that will enhance their chances of a place in the last four.

Continue Reading

Uncategorized

Paris to face major disruption ahead of Games opening ceremony, says police chief

Published

on

Paris will face major disruption ahead of the Olympics opening ceremony along the Seine on July 26, as organisers ramp up security measures to safeguard the event, the city’s police chief said on Thursday.

Organisers hope the opening ceremony, in which 160 boats carrying athletes from around the world will travel a 6 kilometre route along the Seine river towards the Eiffel tower, will deliver a jaw-dropping spectacle. Some 300,000 spectators will watch from the banks of the Seine as a global audience tunes in on TV.

But the ceremony is also a major security headache, taking place against a backdrop of wars in Ukraine and Gaza. French President Emmanuel Macron has already floated the possibility of scrapping the river ceremony and reverting to at least two back-up plans if the security risks become untenable.

Paris residents with a view of the Seine can invite friends to watch the opening of the 2024 Summer Games from their balconies, but should prepare for heavy traffic and limited movement, Paris police chief Laurent Nunez said at a press conference.

Adjacent metro stations, most river crossings and all water traffic will be halted in the week before the open-air ceremony, Nunez said, adding that some bridges will remain open “in order not to cut Paris in two halves.”

Advertisement

Everyone who wants to access the immediate surroundings of the Seine in the week before the Games will need to sign up on an online platform, Nunez said. Local residents hoping to access their homes, which are among the most prestigious addresses in France, will need to do the same.

Paris mayor Anne Hidalgo, who also spoke at the event said the disruption would impact around 20,000 residents and business owners.

Asked about Macron’s comments earlier this month, Nunez said his teams were still working on the ‘Plan A’ of the river ceremony.

“As of today, we have no reason to be worried,” Nunez said.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Most Viewed