Connect with us

Athletics

Nigeria’s World Championship aspirations hit by US visa refusals

blank

Published

on

blank
The long awaited Oregon 2022 World Athletics Championship will begin in Eugene, United State on Friday but some Nigerian coaches and accredited journalists may not be part of the event due to their inability to secure visa at the American embassy in Lagos and Abuja.
 
The Oregon 2022 World Championship will run from July 15 to 24.
 
It was learnt on Wednesday that some Nigerian coaches, accompanying officials from the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) and Sports Ministry as well as four of the five journalists accredited journalists by World Athletics to cover the championships had not be given visa to enable them travel to the United States.
 
The visa problem appears to be global and World Athletics are scrambling to get the issues resolved.
 
Some of the affected people were said to have met the necessary requirements, including paying their visa fees of $160 since April.
 
 “Some of us made payment for visa fees far back in April, only to be given appointment date for March 2024,” one of the affected officials lamented on Wednesday.
 
  “I don’t know why the U.S. embassy in Nigeria will allow touts to control appointment dates. Before American government accepted to host this World Athletics Championships, I expected their embassy around the world to treat the athletes, coaches and accredited journalists with respect.
 
“I am sure this kind of treatment won’t be meted to athletes, officials and journalists from Britain, Germany and Australia. This may affect Nigerian athletes in Oregon.”
 
Another official hinted also on Wednesday that the AFN/Sports Ministry got a Note Verbale through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for the affected persons only for the U.S. embassy to reject a majority of the names insisting that only those having Diplomatic passport and Blue passport would be attended to. “They said no to those with Green passport,” the official said
 
Efforts to speak with officials of America embassy in Lagos on Wednesday were unsuccessful.
 
Meanwhile, Africa’s fastest man from Kenya, Ferdinand Omanyala, faces a race against time for an American visa so he can compete at the World Athletics Championships.
 
Omanyala, who won the African 100m title last month in Mauritius, is due to race in the heats tomorrow (Friday) at the global event in Eugene, Oregon.
 
“Sad that I haven’t travelled to Oregon yet and 100m is in two days. Visa delays!!” the 26-year-old Kenyan sprinter posted on Instagram.
 
“I am still hopeful. If I make it to the starting line, it will be fireworks. I thrive on setbacks.”
 
Currently the third-quickest man in the world this season behind Americans Fred Kerley and Trayvon Bromell,
 
Omanyala set the African 100m record of 9.77 seconds in September last year.

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Uncategorized

London Marathon breaks record for largest number of finishers

blank

Published

on

blank
 London Marathon - London, Britain - April 26, 2026 General view of runners and spectators on Tower Bridge during the marathon REUTERS/Jaimi Joy

The London Marathon broke the record for the highest number of ​finishers in a marathon, with 59,830 ‌participants completing the course to surpass the mark of 59,226 at last year’s New ​York City event.

Kenya’s Sabastian Sawe ​shattered the world record to become ⁠the first man to run the ​marathon in under two hours, followed ​by Ethiopia’s Yomif Kejelcha, who also breached the two-hour barrier on Sunday.

“To then break the ​record of the largest number of ​finishers in the history of marathons underlines the ‌inspirational ⁠nature of the London Marathon. We are incredibly proud to have set a new Guinness World Record,” said ​Hugh Brasher, ​CEO of ⁠London Marathon Events.

In the women’s race, three women ran ​under two hours and 16 ​minutes ⁠in a single race for the first time ever, as Ethiopia’s Tigst Assefa ⁠defended ​her title by shattering ​her own women ‘s-only world record

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Athletics

Ofili Not Alone in World Athletics’ Blockade of Türkiye’s Talent Raid

blank

Published

on

blank

Nigeria has aligned with the global athletics community in supporting World Athletics’ decision to reject 11 applications for nationality transfer to Türkiye, a move that includes sprinter Favour Ofili and signals a broader clampdown on the recruitment of foreign athletes.

blank

 Diamond League – Final – Zurich – Zurich, Switzerland – August 27, 2025 Jamaica’s Rajindra Campbell in action during the men’s shot put final REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

The ruling, announced on Thursday by World Athletics’ Nationality Review Panel, affects athletes from multiple countries and was based on findings that the applications were part of a coordinated, government-backed effort to bolster Türkiye’s international competitiveness ahead of the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

Rather than a single case, Ofili’s situation forms part of a wider group that includes five Kenyan athletes — among them former marathon world record holder Brigid Kosgei — and four Jamaicans, including Olympic medallists Roje Stona and Rajindra Campbell. Russian heptathlete Sophia Yakushina was also among those denied eligibility.

blank

Paris 2024 Olympics – Athletics – Men’s Discus Throw Victory Ceremony – Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France – August 08, 2024. Gold medallist Roje Stona of Jamaica celebrates on the podium. REUTERS/Aleksandra Szmigie

blank

London Marathon 2024 – Women’s Elite Press Conference – London, Britain – April 18, 2024 Kenya’s Brigid Kosgei poses for a photograph ahead of the London Marathon REUTERS/Peter Cziborra/File Photo 

World Athletics stated that approving the applications would undermine key principles guiding the transfer of allegiance, particularly the need to maintain the integrity and credibility of national representation in global competitions.

“The panel found that the applications formed part of a coordinated recruitment strategy… to attract overseas athletes through lucrative contracts,” the governing body said.

Advertisement

For Nigeria, the decision is being viewed not as an isolated intervention but as part of a wider effort to protect countries that invest in developing athletes from grassroots to elite level, only to risk losing them to wealthier nations offering financial incentives.

Officials note that the rejection highlights growing concerns about the commercialisation of national allegiance in sport, where athletes are increasingly targeted through structured programmes designed to fast-track international success.

World Athletics President Sebastian Coe has previously warned against such trends, stressing that nationality transfers must reflect genuine national ties rather than transactional arrangements.

The regulations governing athlete transfers were tightened in 2019 to prevent abuse and ensure fairness, following increasing cases of athletes switching allegiance under financially driven circumstances.

Although the applications were rejected, World Athletics clarified that the affected athletes — including Ofili — remain eligible to compete in one-day meetings, road races and club competitions, as well as live and train in Türkiye. However, they are barred from representing the country at major championships such as the Olympic Games and World Championships.

Advertisement

The decision is widely seen as a significant moment for global athletics, reinforcing the principle that national representation should be built on identity and development rather than financial inducement.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Athletics

Ogba Applauds World Athletics for Rejecting Ofili’s Allegiance Switch to Türkiye

blank

Published

on

blank

A former president of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Chief Solomon Ogba, has commended World Athletics for rejecting the application by Nigerian sprinter Favour Ofili to switch allegiance to Türkiye.

World Athletics, through its Nationality Review Panel, on Thursday turned down Ofili’s request to represent the European nation, citing concerns over the integrity of international competitions and the growing trend of athlete recruitment driven by financial incentives.

Reacting to the decision, Ogba described the ruling as a victory for fairness and a strong message in defence of developing nations that invest heavily in nurturing athletic talent.

“This is justice not just for Nigeria but for many developing countries that work tirelessly to groom athletes, only for them to be lured away by wealthier nations,” Ogba said.

The panel, in its report, noted that granting the transfer would undermine key principles, including safeguarding the credibility of national representation and discouraging the systematic recruitment of foreign athletes for global competitions.

Advertisement

Ofili’s case was one of 11 applications submitted by the Turkish Athletics Federation, which World Athletics linked to a broader government-backed strategy to strengthen its team ahead of the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

Despite having obtained Turkish citizenship and signing a lucrative club contract, Ofili remains ineligible to compete for Türkiye in major competitions such as the World Championships and the Olympic Games.

Ogba singled out World Athletics President Sebastian Coe for praise, describing him as a consistent ally of developing countries.

“How can a country nurture an athlete from grassroots level to elite status, only for another nation that showed no prior interest to come with financial inducements and take them away? It is unfair and must be discouraged,” he said.

The former AFN boss also advised athletes to remain focused and avoid making career decisions driven solely by short-term financial gains. He cited global stars such as Usain Bolt, Julien Alfred, and Eliud Kipchoge, who achieved success while representing their home countries.

Advertisement

Ogba further warned athletes against external pressures from managers and associates, urging them to consider the long-term implications of switching nationality.

“Many athletes who left Nigeria often return after retirement seeking support. The reality is that your home country offers opportunities beyond competition — as coaches, administrators, and mentors,” he added.

He concluded by urging Nigerian athletes to remain loyal and committed, stressing that while opportunities abroad may appear attractive, long-term security and identity remain tied to their country of origin.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Most Viewed