Connect with us

Athletics

AFN accepts responsibility for ineligible athletes

blank

Published

on

blank

The Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) has taken responsibility after 10 athletes from the country were declared ineligible for the Tokyo Olympics.

The Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU) ruled that the competitors will be unable to take part in Tokyo because of non-compliance with out-of-competition drug testing requirements in the run-up to the Games.

The AIU announced that a total of 20 athletes from the seven countries, including Morocco, Kenya and Ethiopia, regarded as high risk (category A) when it comes to doping have been ruled out, with Nigeria accounting for half of those excluded.

The AIU said: “Nigeria is the most affected country, not meeting the minimum testing requirements under Rule 15 for 10 athletes. Nigeria was included in Category A at the start of 2020 following a continued period of weak domestic testing levels.”

All of the Nigerian athletes ruled ineligible had already arrived in Tokyo to prepare for the track and field events that begin on Friday.

Major blow

With athletics accounting for 13 of the 25 medals won by Nigeria at all Olympic Games, including two of the three gold medals, this latest incident has caused an uproar in the country.

Advertisement

Officials of the AFN and sports ministry have come under intense criticism from some of the affected athletes, local media and disappointed fans who were looking forward to the track and field competition at Tokyo 2020.

But the AFN has sought to calm the storm by taking responsibility for the failings and putting in place “appropriate measures to comply with rule 15 of the anti-doping rules of World Athletics”.

“The AFN bears responsibility for any lapses that may have occurred during the process and reassures Nigerians that our performances will not be negatively impacted,” the AFN said in a statement.

“All our athletes resident in Nigeria and who qualified for the Olympic Games completed the three mandatory tests.

“Most of our top athletes resident in the USA also completed their tests. However, a few athletes in the American collegiate system were tested, but those tests were deemed not to have complied with Wada sample collection and analysis standards.

Advertisement

“It must be noted that no Nigerian athlete tested positive to prohibited substances.

“The AFN has taken proactive steps to avoid future occurrences by appointing Professor Ken Anugweje as the head of the Medical and Anti-Doping Commission of the Federation.”

But 2008 Olympic long jump silver medallist Blessing Okagbare, who is eligible for the 100m and 200m in Tokyo, has taken a swipe at the officials for this latest setback.

She posted on social media: “The sport system in Nigeria is so flawed and we athletes, are always at the receiving end of the damages.

“They were busy fighting over power, exercising their pride over puma contract/ kits forgetting their major responsibility “THE ATHLETES”. It’s sad that this cycle keeps repeating itself and some people will come out to say I am arrogant for speaking my truth. It is my career.”

Advertisement

Other athletes cleared to participate in Tokyo include Ese Brume, who won a bronze medal in women’s long jump at the 2019 World Championships in Doha, Tobiloba Amusan who is ranked number four in the 100m hurdles, and fast-rising sprinter Divine Oduduru.

One of the affected athletes is US-based Ruth Usoro, who won the NCAA Championship in the women’s triple jump both indoor and outdoor in 2021.

Usoro made the Nigeria squad, but she and Rosemary Chukwuma are among the 10 ineligible to participate because of non-compliance with out-of-competition drug testing requirements.

Chukwuma’s coach Wes Kittley put the blame firmly on the AFN.

“The bottom line is the Nigeria federation just dropped the ball and didn’t test those kids,” he said. 

Advertisement

“It’s just a terrible thing if they don’t get to compete because the Nigerian federation never sent anyone to test them. Which will be unfortunate. My goodness.”

Shattered dreams

Another athlete affected by the AIU ruling told the BBC things could have been different if officials had moved faster.

“I feel drained and upset – travelling here only to be told you can’t compete. I am based in the United States and you know the NCAA don’t carry out these testings,” said the athlete who preferred to remain anonymous when speaking to BBC Sport Africa.

“They [the AFN] should have followed things up as soon as we made the team to Tokyo and maybe things could’ve been different. Now all my hopes and dreams are shattered by incompetent officials.”

Athletes eligible and cleared to compete: Blessing Okagbare, Ese Brume, Tobi Amusan, Divine Oduduru, Nwokocha Grace, Patience Okon George, Enoch Adegoke,Imaobong Nse Uko, Itsekiri Usheoritee, Enekwechi Chuckwuebuka, Emmanuel Ojeli and Samson Nathaniel.

Advertisement

Athletes omitted by the IOC from original list: Glory Patrick, Yinka Ajayi, Tima Godbless, Chidi Okezie, Knowledge Omovoh, Ruth Usoro, Favor Ofili, Rosemary Chukwuma, Chioma Onyekwere and Annette Echikunwoke.

-BBC

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Uncategorized

London Marathon breaks record for largest number of finishers

blank

Published

on

blank
 London Marathon - London, Britain - April 26, 2026 General view of runners and spectators on Tower Bridge during the marathon REUTERS/Jaimi Joy

The London Marathon broke the record for the highest number of ​finishers in a marathon, with 59,830 ‌participants completing the course to surpass the mark of 59,226 at last year’s New ​York City event.

Kenya’s Sabastian Sawe ​shattered the world record to become ⁠the first man to run the ​marathon in under two hours, followed ​by Ethiopia’s Yomif Kejelcha, who also breached the two-hour barrier on Sunday.

“To then break the ​record of the largest number of ​finishers in the history of marathons underlines the ‌inspirational ⁠nature of the London Marathon. We are incredibly proud to have set a new Guinness World Record,” said ​Hugh Brasher, ​CEO of ⁠London Marathon Events.

In the women’s race, three women ran ​under two hours and 16 ​minutes ⁠in a single race for the first time ever, as Ethiopia’s Tigst Assefa ⁠defended ​her title by shattering ​her own women ‘s-only world record

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Athletics

Ofili Not Alone in World Athletics’ Blockade of Türkiye’s Talent Raid

blank

Published

on

blank

Nigeria has aligned with the global athletics community in supporting World Athletics’ decision to reject 11 applications for nationality transfer to Türkiye, a move that includes sprinter Favour Ofili and signals a broader clampdown on the recruitment of foreign athletes.

blank

 Diamond League – Final – Zurich – Zurich, Switzerland – August 27, 2025 Jamaica’s Rajindra Campbell in action during the men’s shot put final REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

The ruling, announced on Thursday by World Athletics’ Nationality Review Panel, affects athletes from multiple countries and was based on findings that the applications were part of a coordinated, government-backed effort to bolster Türkiye’s international competitiveness ahead of the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

Rather than a single case, Ofili’s situation forms part of a wider group that includes five Kenyan athletes — among them former marathon world record holder Brigid Kosgei — and four Jamaicans, including Olympic medallists Roje Stona and Rajindra Campbell. Russian heptathlete Sophia Yakushina was also among those denied eligibility.

blank

Paris 2024 Olympics – Athletics – Men’s Discus Throw Victory Ceremony – Stade de France, Saint-Denis, France – August 08, 2024. Gold medallist Roje Stona of Jamaica celebrates on the podium. REUTERS/Aleksandra Szmigie

blank

London Marathon 2024 – Women’s Elite Press Conference – London, Britain – April 18, 2024 Kenya’s Brigid Kosgei poses for a photograph ahead of the London Marathon REUTERS/Peter Cziborra/File Photo 

World Athletics stated that approving the applications would undermine key principles guiding the transfer of allegiance, particularly the need to maintain the integrity and credibility of national representation in global competitions.

“The panel found that the applications formed part of a coordinated recruitment strategy… to attract overseas athletes through lucrative contracts,” the governing body said.

Advertisement

For Nigeria, the decision is being viewed not as an isolated intervention but as part of a wider effort to protect countries that invest in developing athletes from grassroots to elite level, only to risk losing them to wealthier nations offering financial incentives.

Officials note that the rejection highlights growing concerns about the commercialisation of national allegiance in sport, where athletes are increasingly targeted through structured programmes designed to fast-track international success.

World Athletics President Sebastian Coe has previously warned against such trends, stressing that nationality transfers must reflect genuine national ties rather than transactional arrangements.

The regulations governing athlete transfers were tightened in 2019 to prevent abuse and ensure fairness, following increasing cases of athletes switching allegiance under financially driven circumstances.

Although the applications were rejected, World Athletics clarified that the affected athletes — including Ofili — remain eligible to compete in one-day meetings, road races and club competitions, as well as live and train in Türkiye. However, they are barred from representing the country at major championships such as the Olympic Games and World Championships.

Advertisement

The decision is widely seen as a significant moment for global athletics, reinforcing the principle that national representation should be built on identity and development rather than financial inducement.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Athletics

Ogba Applauds World Athletics for Rejecting Ofili’s Allegiance Switch to Türkiye

blank

Published

on

blank

A former president of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Chief Solomon Ogba, has commended World Athletics for rejecting the application by Nigerian sprinter Favour Ofili to switch allegiance to Türkiye.

World Athletics, through its Nationality Review Panel, on Thursday turned down Ofili’s request to represent the European nation, citing concerns over the integrity of international competitions and the growing trend of athlete recruitment driven by financial incentives.

Reacting to the decision, Ogba described the ruling as a victory for fairness and a strong message in defence of developing nations that invest heavily in nurturing athletic talent.

“This is justice not just for Nigeria but for many developing countries that work tirelessly to groom athletes, only for them to be lured away by wealthier nations,” Ogba said.

The panel, in its report, noted that granting the transfer would undermine key principles, including safeguarding the credibility of national representation and discouraging the systematic recruitment of foreign athletes for global competitions.

Advertisement

Ofili’s case was one of 11 applications submitted by the Turkish Athletics Federation, which World Athletics linked to a broader government-backed strategy to strengthen its team ahead of the 2028 Olympic Games in Los Angeles.

Despite having obtained Turkish citizenship and signing a lucrative club contract, Ofili remains ineligible to compete for Türkiye in major competitions such as the World Championships and the Olympic Games.

Ogba singled out World Athletics President Sebastian Coe for praise, describing him as a consistent ally of developing countries.

“How can a country nurture an athlete from grassroots level to elite status, only for another nation that showed no prior interest to come with financial inducements and take them away? It is unfair and must be discouraged,” he said.

The former AFN boss also advised athletes to remain focused and avoid making career decisions driven solely by short-term financial gains. He cited global stars such as Usain Bolt, Julien Alfred, and Eliud Kipchoge, who achieved success while representing their home countries.

Advertisement

Ogba further warned athletes against external pressures from managers and associates, urging them to consider the long-term implications of switching nationality.

“Many athletes who left Nigeria often return after retirement seeking support. The reality is that your home country offers opportunities beyond competition — as coaches, administrators, and mentors,” he added.

He concluded by urging Nigerian athletes to remain loyal and committed, stressing that while opportunities abroad may appear attractive, long-term security and identity remain tied to their country of origin.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Most Viewed