Connect with us

International Football

VIDEO: WE’RE IN DIFFICULT GROUP SAYS ROHR

blank

Published

on

BY KUNLE SOLAJA.

 

Nigeria’s manager, Gernot Rohr has remarked that the Group D in which the Super Eagles will be contesting next year in the World Cup is a tricky one.

The coach spoke via FIFA YouTube channel opened his remarks with the position of the Super Eagles in the group which has Argentina, Croatia and debutants, Iceland which is also the smallest country ever to feature in the global football fiesta.

“We are supposed to be the last team in the group because we are in Pot 4. We have our first game against Croatia, a very good team”, said Rohr.

Advertisement

He went on to remark that the Croatians who played the opening match with hosts, Brazil three years ago, is a team that plays technical football.
In Croatia’s World Cup debut at France ’98, the team went as far as the semi-finals and finished third. Ever since, the team only failed to qualify for the World Cup once, the 2010 edition.
Rohr also looked at the game with Iceland. He said: “Iceland is a very strong team also. I saw them in the Euro Championship they play very good football also.”
With a smile, he looked at the biggest team of the group, Argentina. “It’s already the same as because Nigeria met Argentina at the last World Cup…It was also Argentina at the Brazil World Cup”.
Nigeria has actually met Argentina in every World Cup except that of 1998.
“We played them in a friendly, but we are not sure we can have the same result”, remarked Rohr. In the friendly match in question, Nigeria came behind from a two goalkeeping error goal to beat Argentina 4-2 in Krasnodar, Russia last month.
“They played without Messi. We know it is not easy to play against them. We know it is the number one team in our group”, said Rohr who as a World Cup debuting coach, wishes to make a major mark as he has already set a semi-final target for the Super Eagles.

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

International Football

New global players’ union launched in Madrid amid rift with FIFPRO

blank

Published

on

blank
David Aganzo, general secretary of the Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) during a press conference announcing the official launch of the Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) in Madrid, Spain, April 23, 2026. REUTERS/Isabel Infantes

Representatives from four national players’ unions on Thursday launched a new global organisation in Madrid, which they say will strengthen footballers’ rights and improve dialogue with governing bodies.

Opening ​a new front in the battle over who speaks for players, the International ‌Footballers’ Association (AIF) was unveiled, with David Aganzo, president of Spain’s Association of Footballers (AFE) and a former head of the global union FIFPRO, appointed to lead the organisation.

Players’ unions from Brazil, Mexico and Switzerland were also represented.

The initiative ​drew a swift rebuke from FIFPRO, which said in a statement that Aganzo was ​acting out of self-interest and aligning himself with organisations linked to football governing ⁠bodies, as well as groups expelled from FIFPRO over alleged mismanagement.

Aganzo rejected the criticism, saying ​he “will not seek confrontation with FIFPRO”.

Advertisement

The launch comes amid strained relations between players’ unions and football authorities, ​particularly over the expanding international match calendar.

Relations between FIFA and FIFPRO deteriorated in 2024 after the union lodged a complaint with the European Commission, arguing that the global governing body was abusing its dominant position by adding ​competitions without sufficient consultation.

Aganzo denied suggestions that the new initiative was backed by FIFA president Gianni ​Infantino, but said “direct dialogue with FIFA” was essential.

AFE’s Extraordinary General Assembly approved the initiative in February with 99.8% of ‌votes ⁠cast in favour of spearheading the creation of the AIF.

The same assembly also backed AFE’s withdrawal from FIFPRO, citing what it described as a “complete lack of transparency, as well as its total lack of dialogue with international bodies.”

Advertisement

“We represent over 30,000 footballers, and we come here with a ​new model aimed at safeguarding ​players’ rights and ⁠facilitating direct communication with all international bodies,” Aganzo told reporters.

“We are in contact with 15 to 20 unions already who were very aware of ​this moment and waiting for this announcement to make their move and ​join our ⁠initiative.”

He declined to identify any unions beyond those present.

Asked about a report that a senior envoy to U.S. President Donald Trump had urged FIFA to replace Iran with Italy at the upcoming World Cup, Aganzo ⁠urged caution.

“These ​are more political issues; on April 30th, I’ll be ​speaking to Gianni (Infantino) at the FIFA Congress, and we will discuss those things,” Aganzo said.

Advertisement

“People who want to go to ​the World Cup have to earn their place on sporting merit.”

-Reuters

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

International Football

New trial over soccer legend Maradona’s death begins in Argentina

blank

Published

on

blank
Serie A - Parma v Napoli - Stadio Ennio Tardini, Parma, Italy - April 12, 2026 Napoli fans in the stands hold up a sign of Diego Maradona in the stands before the match REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo

A new trial over the death of Argentine soccer legend Diego Maradona will begin on Tuesday, with seven members of his medical team ​charged with negligent homicide nearly a year after a previous case collapsed in ‌a mistrial.

An enduring presence in Argentina – from towering murals to tattoos, opens new tab – Maradona died on November 25, 2020, at 60, after a heart attack while he was recuperating from brain surgery to remove a blood clot.

A court in ​San Isidro, near Buenos Aires, will hear testimony from just under 100 witnesses ​as it tries Maradona’s medical team over alleged negligence in the death ⁠of the 1986 World Cup champion.

His medical team has denied wrongdoing. The defendants are ​psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov, neurosurgeon Leopoldo Luque, psychologist Carlos Angel Diaz, physician Nancy Edith Forlini, nurse ​Ricardo Almiron, head nurse Mariano Ariel Perroni, and physician Pedro Pablo Di Spagna. An eighth defendant, nurse Dahiana Madrid, will be tried in a separate jury trial, with no date yet set.

Two months into ​the first trial, which started last March, a mistrial was declared when one of three ​judges, Julieta Makintach, resigned after video surfaced showing her being interviewed by a camera crew in the ‌corridors ⁠of the courthouse and in her office as part of a documentary, in breach of judicial rules.

Advertisement

The retrial will require both prosecutors and defense lawyers to reassess their strategies after the first trial aired photographs, videos, audio recordings and forensic evidence. Many witnesses, including Maradona’s ​children and his former ​wife, Claudia Villafane, ⁠have already testified.

Prosecutors argued in the initial trial that medical professionals broke treatment protocols and that the home where Maradona was recovering ​from surgery amounted to a “theatre of horror,” where necessary care was ​not provided.

The ⁠defense countered that his death was inevitable given his longstanding health problems. Maradona struggled for decades with cocaine and alcohol addiction.

The negligence charges emerged in 2021 after prosecutors appointed a medical board ⁠to ​investigate Maradona’s death. The panel concluded his medical team ​acted in an “inappropriate, deficient and reckless” manner.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

International Football

Senegal’s Cisse named Angola coach 24 hours after leaving Libya role

blank

Published

on

blank

Aliou Cisse has been named coach of ​the Angola national ‌team, the country’s football federation (FAF) announced on Thursday, 24 ​hours after the ​Senegalese left his post in ⁠Libya.

The 50-year-old coach, ​who led Senegal to ​their maiden Africa Cup of Nations title in 2022, ended ​his short stint ​with the Libyan national team on ‌Wednesday, ⁠after taking charge in March 2025.

“Welcome, Aliou Cisse, head coach of ​the Angola national ​team,” ⁠the FAF said on Facebook. Angola, which ​failed to reach ​this ⁠year’s World Cup, will start their 2027 AFCON ⁠qualifying ​campaign in ​September.

-Reuters

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement

 

Continue Reading

Most Viewed