La Liga
Friends and Relations Behind PSG Bid For Neymar
Former Manchester City target, Dani Alves, has been cited as one of the big influences to lure Neymar out of FC Barcelona to join him at Paris Saint-Germain.
Both Brazilian players are reportedly very close. Sports Village Square gathered from Business Insider that Alves called his former FC Barcelona team-mate Neymar regarding a €222 million (£196.5 million) transfer to Paris Saint-Germain.
Another close friend of Neymar simply identified as Maxwell was also reported to have called the Barcelona forward to put pressure on him on the need to make the move this summer. Neymar’s contract with FC Barcelona has a $254.7 million (£196.5 million) release clause.
According to ESPN’s resident French football expert, Julian Laurens, the chairman of Paris Saint-Germain, Nasser Al-Khelaïfi, has also been in “close contact” with Neymar’s father for two years.
“Maxwell, Alves and Neymar are all very good friends and I think Maxwell and Alves have been on the phone to Neymar,” remarked Laurens.
“PSG has never stopped contacting Neymar and his dad. PSG chairman and Neymar’s dad have been very close since last summer and the summer before that.”
Neymar plays for La Liga giant Barcelona, but the Brazilian forward has a huge £196.5 million “release clause” in his contract. This means that if a club like PSG wanted to buy Neymar, it could force Barcelona’s hand by meeting the release clause. However, there are no guarantees as it would then have to negotiate personal terms with the player.
Manchester United last broke the transfer fee record when it spent £89.6 million on Paul Pogba last year. Barça probably thought a £196.5 million fee would be too costly for any European club to meet. However, reports in Brazil said Neymar had accepted a proposal from PSG, and that the transfer would be announced in two weeks.
Laurens doubts the reports. “Nothing has been accepted yet. You can’t agree a deal for Barcelona and Neymar in the space of 48 hours — we’re talking about the biggest transfer of all time with a salary around €20 million [per year].”
Meeting the release clause and negotiating a five-year contract for Neymar could set PSG back €322 million (£285 million).
Because we’re talking about such a huge sum, Laurens believes the reports may have jumped the gun.
But PSG and Barcelona may still do business this summer. “Serious discussions and negotiations will start very soon,” Laurens says. “[In the past] Neymar has flirted with PSG but PSG felt used as Neymar and his father ended up negotiating a new deal for Barcelona.”
The relationship between Al-Khelaïfi and Neymar’s father could be key. Spanish publication, AS, wrote on Monday that “Neymar’s father will travel to Paris to meet Al-Khelaïfi.”
This is what Laurens may mean when he says “the door [for PSG] is opening.” He also says “money is no object.”
“If Neymar is ready to come to Paris then it will do everything to make it happen.”
“I can understand why he’d want to leave Barcelona. Messi has just renewed his contract so that means Neymar will play second fiddle for another three or four years and that’s not what he wants… he wants to be a superstar.”
La Liga
Barcelona seal 29th LaLiga title with 2-0 Clasico win over Real Madrid

Barcelona turned the Clasico into a coronation on Sunday, swatting aside Real Madrid 2-0 at a roaring Camp Nou to claim their 29th LaLiga title.
Hansi Flick’s side moved to an unassailable 91 points, 14 clear of second-placed Real with three games remaining.
The triumph capped a dominant campaign in which they lost only four league matches. Villarreal are third on 69 points.
Real arrived needing victory to keep their wafer-thin title hopes alive, but Marcus Rashford crushed those aspirations just nine minutes into the game.
Antonio Rudiger fouled Ferran Torres just outside the box, and Rashford bent a superb free kick into Thibaut Courtois’ top-left corner, giving Barcelona the early lead and sending the home crowd into raptures.
Nine minutes later, Barcelona doubled the lead. Fermin Lopez crossed into the area, and Dani Olmo produced a clever backheel that sent the ball into the path of Torres, who rifled a fierce strike into the top corner.
The win completed back-to-back league titles for Flick, who also delivered the LaLiga and Copa del Rey double in his first season last year.
Both sides were heavily depleted. Barcelona were without Lamine Yamal, Raphinha and Jules Kounde from the starting lineup.
Real’s list of missing players was longer, with Eder Militao, Dani Carvajal, Ferland Mendy, Arda Guler and Rodrygo all absent. Federico Valverde also missed out after suffering a head injury following a midweek changing-room fight with team-mate Aurelien Tchouameni, with both players fined 500,000 euros over the incident.
Kylian Mbappe did not travel because of a leg muscle injury, forcing manager Alvaro Arbeloa to start Vinicius Jr alongside academy striker Gonzalo, with Jude Bellingham and Brahim Diaz pushing forward in support.
Real threatened through Vinicius and Gonzalo before halftime, but Barcelona carried the greater menace. Courtois kept the visitors alive with fine saves from Torres and Rashford before the interval.
Barcelona continued to press after the break, Rashford repeatedly tormenting left back Fran Garcia down the right, while Courtois produced another sharp stop with his left foot to deny Torres from point-blank range in the 56th minute.
Bellingham had a goal ruled out for offside in the 62nd minute, and Joan Garcia was quick to deny Vinicius in a one-on-one, preventing the Brazilian from lifting the ball over him.
Real kept probing late on, but there was little bite in their attack, and Barcelona calmly saw out the win before the title celebrations began.
“This title is even more special because we won it at home against Real Madrid. Now it’s time to enjoy it with the fans,” Frenkie de Jong told Spanish broadcaster Movistar Plus.
“Every title has to be celebrated in style. Especially LaLiga, which is a year-long competition. We’ve clearly been the best in Spain.”
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
La Liga
Two goalkeepers sent off for stoppage-time punching brawl in Spanish derby

Real Zaragoza goalkeeper Esteban Andrada was sent off for punching Huesca captain Jorge Pulido in a fiery Spanish second division clash on Sunday that descended into a mass brawl, with Huesca keeper Dani Jimenez dismissed for punching Andrada.
Zaragoza’s Dani Tasende was also dismissed after a VAR review of the brawl.
With tensions simmering in a relegation scrap, Argentine Andrada lost his composure moments before the final whistle. Ignoring the run of play, he approached Pulido and struck him in the face with his right hand, sparking chaotic scenes eight minutes into stoppage time.
It was an ugly flashpoint in a match already short on finesse and heavy on nerves, and could carry serious consequences for the goalkeeper.
Huesca manager Jose Luis did not attempt to defend the scenes.
“It’s hard to explain; I think it’s a complete loss of control. I can put myself in their shoes, given what was at stake and all. But it’s unjustifiable. It’s just that I don’t know what to do or how to stop it; a brawl breaks out,” he said.
“It’s ugly; this was supposed to be a celebration of Aragonese football. I’d like people to talk about the match, even though it was ugly, with little play but a lot of hard work.”
Oscar Sielva’s goal secured a 1-0 win for Huesca, lifting them to 36 points in 19th place, while Zaragoza remain second-bottom on 35.
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
La Liga
Laporta re-elected as Barcelona president

Joan Laporta has been re-elected as Barcelona president after winning over 68 percent of the vote and will begin his second consecutive term, and fourth overall, from July 1, the club said on Sunday.
The 63-year-old took office in March 2021 and stepped down last month in line with club statutes in order to seek re-election.
Laporta described the election as a “celebration of democracy and civic responsibility” and said the tasks ahead included finishing work on the Camp Nou and strengthening the men’s team.
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
World Cup5 days agoFIFA Plans Three Opening Ceremonies in All Host Nations for 2026 World Cup
-
World Cup4 days agoUnited States Unveils Hollywood-Style FIFA World Cup 2026 Opening Ceremony
-
World Cup4 days agoMexico president wavers on plan to cut school year by 40 days for the World Cup
-
World Cup5 days agoBurna Boy Joins Shakira for Official 2026 World Cup Song ‘Dai Dai’
-
World Cup1 week agoDespite 2026 Absence, Nigeria Still Leads Africa’s World Cup Winners’ Chart
-
Nigerian Football5 days agoSporting Lagos Crowned 2026 NNL Champions After Dramatic Super Four Finale
-
Premier League5 days agoMan United’s Fernandes and City’s Shaw win FWA Footballer of the Year awards
-
Premier League2 days agoArsenal survive huge scare to edge towards title