Connect with us

La Liga

Guardiola Rules Out Barca Return

Published

on

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has insisted that he will never return to Barcelona as his former club begin their search for a new coach for next season.
The Spanish tactician took charge at City last summer, and while there have been some lows and setbacks along the way, he is on course to enjoy a solid first campaign at the helm of a Premier League club.
With the top four firmly in their sights, City remain in the hunt for the FA Cup after reaching the semi-finals stage while they will also hope to get past Monaco in the Champions League on Wednesday night.
In turn, he can be pleased with what he has achieved to this point as the club are only expected to get bigger and better under his stewardship the longer that he stays as he’ll undoubtedly be a busy man in the summer transfer window to further mould this side in to his own.
Nevertheless, the appeal of a return to Barcelona could have been strong for the former Blaugrana boss, but he insists that that chapter in his managerial career is over.
“Never again,” Guardiola said, as reported by The Mirror. “My period at Barcelona is over.”
Having enjoyed a trophy-laden spell in charge of the Catalan giants between 2008 and 2012, he will always be fondly remembered at the Nou Camp having also shone as a player to establish his legacy at the club.
With Luis Enrique confirming earlier this month that he would be stepping down from his position as coach at the end of the season, the search is on for Barca to find a suitable replacement.
Having prioritised individuals who know how the club works from the inside, there doesn’t appear to be a standout candidate this time round and Guardiola removing himself from the equation will only make it a more difficult decision.

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

La Liga

Napkin used by Barcelona to sign Messi sold for nearly $1 million

Published

on

A signed and framed napkin on which soccer club Barcelona promised to sign a 13-year-old Lionel Messi is displayed at the Bonhams auction house in London, Britain May 8, 2024. REUTERS/Will Russell/File Photo

The napkin on which Barcelona promised to sign Lionel Messi when he was a 13-year-old has been sold for 762,400 pounds ($969,000, auction house Bonhams said on Friday.

The napkin was signed in December, 2000 by Barca’s former sporting director Carles Rexach and transfer advisor Josep Minguella along with Argentine agent Horacio Gaggioli over lunch at a tennis club.

Messi became one of Barcelona’s greatest players, winning over 30 trophies and leaving the Catalan club as their all-time leading scorer with 672 goals.

He also won a record eight Ballon d’Or awards for the world’s best player and led Argentina to the World Cup crown in 2022. Messi now plays for U.S. club Inter Miami in Major League Soccer.

“Yes, it’s a paper napkin, but it’s the famous napkin that was at the inception of Lionel Messi’s career,” Ian Ehling, the head of fine books and manuscripts at Bonhams New York, said in a statement.

Advertisement

“It changed the life of Messi, the future of FC Barcelona, and was instrumental in giving some of the most glorious moments of football to billions of fans around the globe.”

-Reuters

Continue Reading

La Liga

Racially Abused Senegalese Goalkeeper Speaks Out After Abandoned Spanish Match –

Published

on

Racially Abused Senegalese Goalkeeper Speaks Out After Abandoned Spanish Match -

Senegalese goalkeeper Cheikh Sarr has heard racial slurs directed at him from the stands before, but when a fan allegedly approached just to racially insult him during a Spanish third-tier league game last Saturday, he decided he’d had enough.

“I grabbed him and asked why he was insulting me. My attitude was not aggressive, I just wanted to ask him why,” the 23-year-old told reporters on Tuesday of the incident in Sestao, a working-class town in northern Spain, which led to the game being abandoned.

“Other times it could be seen as something playful or a joke. However, this was not the case on Saturday, as it was something horrible and I could not stop myself. It was a very sad and ugly thing what they were saying,” he added.

The match between Sarr’s Rayo Majadahonda and Sestao River Club was suspended in the 84th minute after the altercation first led to Sarr being expelled by the referee, who was too far to hear the alleged insults, and then his team mates leaving the pitch in protest.

Racism in sport has been a hot topic in Spain, especially after Real Madrid’s Brazil winger Vinicius Jr, who has suffered from several incidents of racist abuse and is part of a campaign against racism, last year called LaLiga and Spain racist.

Advertisement




On Saturday, he spoke out in support of those affected on social media again, citing “three despicable cases of racism” on that day alone, including Sarr’s.

Sevilla’s Argentina defender Marcos Acuna and coaching staff were also the target of “racist and xenophobic insults” from fans in a LaLiga game at Getafe, the club said.

Sarr said he was thankful that Vinicius had tagged him on social media showing support.

“If more players said no to racism like he does, they (racists) wouldn’t have the power they have now,” he said.

Reuters

Advertisement




 

 

 

 

Advertisement




Continue Reading

La Liga

Sex-convict, Alves Spends First Day Of Provisional Freedom With All-night Party –

Published

on

69da5ed0-alves-2.png

Former Barcelona star, Brazilian Dani Alves, who was provisionally released from prison after over a year in prison celebrated his temporary reprieve with an all-night party.

Although his release from prison was temporary, after he was convicted and faces a 4-and-a-half-year prison sentence, Italian newspaper,  Corriere dello Sport reported that the Brazilian organized a noisy party to celebrate his father’s birthday.

The newspaper indicated that Alves held this party last Tuesday, and continued until five in the morning in the presence of family and friends, to celebrate his father on the one hand, and also to enjoy his freedom on the other hand after spending a long period behind bars.

The camera of the Spanish “Telefónico” network was following the steps of the legend of the oldest Brazilian player to participate in the World Cup, until he arrived at his home, located 25 minutes from downtown Barcelona.

The first thing Alves did after arriving at his home was to order a large amount of “burgers” for dinner, the first meal that the former right-back ate after his release from the “Brian 2” prison in Barcelona.

Advertisement




According to several Spanish media outlets, Alves distributed his belongings  such as clothes and a small fan to the prisoners who had been by his side for more than 430 days,

Alves, 40, was accused of raping a woman in a nightclub, and was sentenced to 4 and a half years in prison last February, before a decision was issued for his conditional release

 

Continue Reading

Most Viewed