Connect with us

DIPLOMACY

Trump expels South African ambassador  

blank

Published

on

blank

The State Department says South Africa’s ambassador to the United States, who was declared “persona non grata” last week, has until Friday to leave the country.

After Secretary of State Marco Rubio determined that Ambassador Ebrahim Rasool was no longer welcome in the U.S. and posted his decision Friday on social media, South African embassy staff were summoned to the State Department and given a formal diplomatic note explaining the decision, department spokesperson Tammy Bruce said.

She said Rasool’s diplomatic privileges and immunities expired Monday and that he would be required to leave the United States by Friday.

South African Foreign Ministry spokesperson Chrispin Phiri said in a television interview on Monday that Rasool was still in the U.S. but would be leaving as soon as possible.

Rubio announced his decision in a post on X as he was flying back to the United States from a Group of 7 foreign ministers meeting in Canada. In it, he accused Rasool of being a “race-baiting politician” who hates President Donald Trump.

Advertisement

His post linked to a story by the conservative Breitbart news site about a talk Rasool gave earlier Friday in Johannesburg as part of a South African think tank’s webinar. Rasool, speaking by videoconference, talked about actions taken by the Trump administration in the context of a United States where white people soon would no longer be in the majority.

It is highly unusual for the U.S. to expel a foreign ambassador, although lower-ranking diplomats are more frequently targeted with persona non grata status.

Rubio’s decision was the latest Trump administration move targeting South Africa. Trump signed an executive order last month halting funding to the country. It criticized the Black-led South African government on multiple fronts, saying it is pursuing anti-white policies at home and supporting “bad actors” in the world like the Palestinian militant group Hamas and Iran

South African President Cyril Ramaphosa told reporters on Monday that Rasool would give him a report when he returned home.

Ramaphosa said his government has “noted the displeasure that has been expressed by the United States,” and particularly about Rasool’s remarks, but stressed that he believed South Africa was in the process of rebuilding its relationship with the U.S.

Advertisement

“This is a hiccup, a hiccup we are working on straightening out,” he said.

“We will engage with the United States of America in a formal way,” Ramaphosa said. “We will do so with deep respect for them and for President Trump as well. Our relationship with the United States is going to be put on an even keel, so I would like the people of South Africa not to have sleepless nights.”

Bruce said the United States expects a certain level of respect.

“We’ve had a decent level of diplomacy with South Africa. There are some challenges, but you want people in each embassy who can actually facilitate a relationship,” she told reporters on Monday. “And these remarks were unacceptable to the United States, not just to the president, but to every American.”

The Foreign Ministry spokesman said South Africa intended to raise questions with the U.S. over Rubio seemingly announcing on social media that Rasool was no longer welcome in the U.S. before informing him of the decision.

Advertisement

Phiri said South Africa believed such matters should first be discussed diplomatically. “But this is the reality that we also have to contend with with this administration. That it does seem as though Twitter (X) is the preferred mode of communication,” the spokesman said in an interview on the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation.

Bruce said the meeting with South African embassy staff was on Friday. Rubio’s post went out at 4:42 p.m. on Friday.

-AP

Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

DIPLOMACY

Morocco Secures Fresh German Backing on Sahara Plan as Strategic Ties Deepen

blank

Published

on

blank
Nasser Bourita, Morocco’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and African Cooperation

Morocco has received renewed diplomatic backing from Germany over its Autonomy Plan for Western Sahara, reinforcing Rabat’s growing international support base on one of its most sensitive national issues.

The endorsement came during the second session of the Morocco-Germany Multilateral Strategic Dialogue held in Rabat, where German official Johann Wadephul met with Morocco’s Foreign Minister Nasser Bourita.

In a joint declaration issued after the talks, Germany reaffirmed its position that Morocco’s autonomy initiative represents a “serious and credible basis” for achieving a final, mutually acceptable solution to the long-standing dispute over Western Sahara.

The declaration also welcomed UN Security Council Resolution 2797, adopted in October 2025, which endorses Morocco’s proposal as a framework for negotiations.

Germany further praised Morocco’s readiness to engage constructively with all parties to clarify the plan’s modalities, including how autonomy under Moroccan sovereignty would be implemented.

Advertisement

Strategic Partnership Expands

Beyond the Sahara question, the Rabat meeting underscored the expanding strategic partnership between Morocco and Germany.

Both countries agreed to deepen cooperation in security and defence, including military and armament collaboration, reflecting shared concerns over regional stability—particularly in the Sahel.

They also signalled progress toward easing travel restrictions, with ongoing discussions aimed at eliminating visa requirements for holders of service passports.

Germany described Morocco as a key partner not only bilaterally but also within broader international frameworks, including ties with the European Union and NATO.

Regional and Global Focus

Discussions extended to pressing international issues, with both sides emphasising the need for coordinated efforts to maintain peace and stability in volatile regions.

Advertisement

Germany commended Morocco’s proactive diplomatic role under King Mohammed VI, highlighting Rabat’s contributions to regional security and conflict resolution.

On the Middle East, both ministers called for strict adherence to ceasefire agreements and urged all parties to halt military operations, ensuring safe navigation through strategic waterways such as the Strait of Hormuz.

They also reaffirmed their support for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, advocating for a democratic and viable Palestinian state existing peacefully alongside Israel.

Germany specifically acknowledged Morocco’s engagement in Middle Eastern diplomacy, particularly through King Mohammed VI’s role as chairman of the Al Quds Committee.

Diplomatic Momentum for Rabat

The latest German endorsement adds to Morocco’s growing diplomatic momentum on the Western Sahara issue, as Rabat continues to rally international support for its autonomy proposal.

Advertisement

For Morocco, the Rabat dialogue represents more than routine diplomacy—it is a strategic consolidation of alliances, reinforcing its position on the global stage while advancing its vision for a negotiated resolution to one of Africa’s longest-running disputes.

Continue Reading

DIPLOMACY

VIDEO: Algerian Candidate’s ‘European’ Remark Sparks Debate Ahead of Pan-African Parliament Race

blank

Published

on

blank

A fresh controversy has emerged ahead of the race for the presidency of the Pan-African Parliament, following remarks by Algerian contender Fateh Boutbig describing Algeria as “almost a European country.”

The comment has drawn sharp reactions across diplomatic and political circles, raising questions about Algeria’s positioning within the African continental agenda at a time it is actively campaigning for top roles within the African Union system.

Boutbig, considered one of the leading candidates for the PAP presidency, remarked in a context that observers say reflects a broader narrative among some Algerian officials who often highlight proximity to Europe as a marker of economic and developmental progress.

The statement has, however, triggered criticism from analysts who argue that such positioning could undermine confidence in Algeria’s commitment to advancing African integration and identity.

The controversy is further deepened by Algeria’s ongoing efforts to expand its economic footprint across the continent while simultaneously promoting its national products in European markets through officials like Kamel Rezig.

Advertisement

Political observers say the mixed messaging risks portraying Algeria’s African engagement as strategic rather than ideological, especially at a time when the Pan-African Parliament is expected to play a stronger role in shaping continental unity and policy direction.

“The leadership of the Pan-African Parliament requires a clear belief in Africa’s potential,” a regional policy analyst noted. “Any suggestion that progress is measured by proximity to Europe could weaken a candidate’s standing among member states.”

Boutbig’s opponents are already seizing on the remark, framing it as evidence that his political outlook may be more aligned with external benchmarks than with Africa’s development priorities.

The Pan-African Parliament, as the legislative arm of the African Union, plays a key role in promoting democratic governance, integration, and cooperation among member states. Its leadership contest is often closely watched as a reflection of broader geopolitical alignments within the continent.

As campaigning intensifies, Boutbig’s comment is likely to remain a focal point in debates over identity, loyalty, and the future direction of Africa’s continental institutions.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

DIPLOMACY

From Brotherhood to Bitterness: AFCON Fallout Tests Senegal–Morocco Longstanding Bond

blank

Published

on

blank

Dakar and Rabat have longstanding ties, but relations have been strained since the Africa Cup of Nations final, which Senegal won in mid-January before being stripped of the title, which was transferred to Morocco.

Now the AFCON trophy is something of a thorn in the two countries’ sides.

On Rue Mohamed V, the street where Moroccan vendors are based in the Senegalese capital, a police van is parked.

“The police have been on high alert since the Confederation of African Football (CAF) decided to award the title to Morocco, but there have been no incidents,” a local resident told AFP.

CAF stripped Senegal of its title on March 17, over the team’s angry departure from the pitch after a penalty was awarded to Morocco late in second-half stoppage time.

Advertisement

In a photo the following day, Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye was seen in his office with the trophy behind him.

Senegal has lodged an appeal at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the matter, and some fans have meanwhile called for a boycott of Moroccan goods.

On March 18, Dakar called for an international investigation into “allegations of corruption within the CAF leadership” in a statement that sent a chill through Morocco.

“An official (Senegalese) document mentioned corruption. It insinuates that Morocco is the corrupting influence without, of course, any evidence and this could have repercussions,” Morocco’s Aziz Daouda, a track and field official and former athlete, told AFP.

He added that “comments made by certain Senegalese football officials are damaging relations” between the two countries, referring to allegations that Morocco controls CAF.

Advertisement

‘Hostages’ of Morocco
 

One of Senegal’s points of contention is the detention of 18 Senegalese football fans in Morocco for more than two months now.

They were sentenced on February 19 to prison terms ranging from three months to a year for hooliganism.

Minutes before the end of the match, some Senegalese supporters attempted to storm the pitch while Senegal’s players halted the game for nearly 20 minutes in protest of the late penalty to Morocco.

The appeal hearing for the 18 fans was postponed for a second time on Monday until April 13.

Dozens of demonstrators in Dakar called for their release at the end of February, describing them as “hostages” of Morocco.

Advertisement

“One gets the impression that this affair goes beyond the realm of sport and that is regrettable. For two countries that claim to be friends, such as Morocco and Senegal, things should not have come to this,” Senegalese Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko said in late February, lamenting the supporters’ convictions.

That said, Morocco’s relationship with Senegal is “unique, specific and extraordinary”, Senegal’s Director of Religious Affairs Djim Ousmane Drame said in a recent article.

“Morocco has always been the only (African) country with which diplomatic relations with Senegal are based on an emotional bond and popular appeal, beyond the institutions and bilateral ties,” Bakary Sambe of the Timbuktu Institute think tank told AFP.

Fez, for example, is a favourite destination for many Senegalese Muslim followers of Tidianism, an influential brotherhood in Senegal whose founder, Cheikh Ahmed Tidiane, is buried there.

Moroccan authorities meanwhile made no comment and “preferred not to get involved in this football affair” following the CAF decision, Daouda said.

Advertisement

Business, diplomacy partners
 

In late January in Rabat, Moroccan Prime Minister Aziz Akhannouch spoke of a “natural, lasting” relationship with Senegal where he said Morocco has invested more than $540 million.

Many Moroccan companies operate in Senegal, particularly in the food, pharmaceutical, energy, construction, mining, banking and insurance sectors.

On the international stage, the two countries’ diplomatic views are generally aligned.

Senegalese nationals constitute the largest group of foreign residents in the kingdom (18.4 percent), according to official figures, and a robust student exchange also exists between the two countries.

“There are many of us on both sides trying to calm down all those hotheads from both camps who enjoy spreading irresponsible claims, lots of ‘fake news’ and plenty of insults,” Daouda said.

Advertisement

Former Senegalese foreign minister Cheikh Tidiane Gadio wrote in early February that “a hundred minutes of football will never be able to ruin a thousand years of close ties between Senegal and Morocco”.

-AFP

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Most Viewed