Connect with us

La Liga

Spain arrests seven after racist incidents targeting Vinicius Jr

blank

Published

on

Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior gestures towards a fan as Valencia's Jose Gaya and Cenk Ozkacar attempt to restrain him, May 21, 2023. REUTERS/Pablo Morano

Police detained seven men on Tuesday over separate alleged hate crime incidents against Real Madrid football player Vinicius Jr as Spain’s main soccer league urged changes to Spanish law that would enable it to take steps to curb racism in stadiums.

Real Madrid manager Carlo Ancelotti expressed support for Vinicius Jr, whom he expected would remain at the club.

He lambasted Spain’s “obsolete” protocols to deal with racism in the sport, and said he would consider taking his players off the pitch if they were abused again during a game as Vinicius Jr was in Sunday’s LaLiga match at Valencia.

Puma, sponsor of both Valencia and LaLiga, also offered its support to Vinicius Jr, as did Spanish bank Santander, whose title sponsorship with LaLiga ends after this season.

“At PUMA, we do not tolerate racism, we condemn discrimination in any form and stand in solidarity with Vinicius Junior,” Puma said in a statement to Reuters.

Advertisement

A hate crime investigation was opened after an inflatable effigy dressed in the No. 20 jersey of winger Vinicius Jr was hung from a bridge in front of the club’s training grounds. Alongside it was a 16m (17.5-yard) red and white banner – the colours of rival team Atletico Madrid – that read “Madrid hates Real”.

Four men were arrested in Madrid, police said, three of whom were members of “a radical group of fans of a Madrid club”, who were previously flagged during matches as “high risk” to help curb violence during games.

Three men were also arrested in Valencia for racist conduct aimed at Vinicius Jr in Sunday’s match, police said on Twitter.

Vinicius Jr, in a social media post, called the racist abuse “inhuman” and asked sponsors and broadcasters to hold LaLiga accountable.

‘IMPOTENT’

Valencia’s south stand will be partially closed for five matches and the club fined 45,000 euros ($49,536), the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) announced on Tuesday.

Advertisement

However, LaLiga said in an earlier statement that it felt “impotent” to tackle the issue while Spanish legislation limited its actions to merely detecting and reporting racist incidents

It urged that the law be modified so it could cancel matches and ban fans from stadiums if racist behaviour is detected.

“LaLiga is extremely frustrated by the lack of sanctions and convictions by sporting disciplinary bodies, public administrations and courts public administrations and the jurisdictional bodies to which complaints are made,” it said in a statement.

Vinicius has expressed frustration that LaLiga has not exerted pressure on the Spanish football federation, which does have the power to apply stadium closures and bans, according to sources close to the player.

The federation can cancel a match if racist insults continue after a 10-minute period in which the game is paused and the crowd warned. To date, no match in Spain has enforced it.

Advertisement

The Brazilian player was particularly aggrieved by comments made by LaLiga President Javier Tebas on Sunday, in which he accused the player of failing to turn up to meetings so that LaLiga could explain what it has been doing to address racism, sources close to the player told Reuters.

Vinicius was initially receptive to a meeting if it was held behind closed doors, according to the sources, but turned it down believing the LaLiga administrator was seeking publicity by holding it at its Madrid offices.

LaLiga declined to comment on the proposed meeting with Vinicius while the football federation did not respond to a request for comment about its powers to cancel matches.

The federation and LaLiga said on Tuesday they were launching a campaign until the end of the season against racism.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

La Liga

Barcelona seal 29th LaLiga title with 2-0 Clasico win over Real Madrid

blank

Published

on

blank
LaLiga - FC Barcelona v Real Madrid - Spotify Camp Nou, Barcelona, Spain - May 10, 2026 FC Barcelona players and coach Hansi Flick celebrate with the trophy after winning the LaLiga REUTERS/Albert Gea

Barcelona turned the Clasico into a coronation ​on Sunday, swatting aside Real Madrid 2-0 at a roaring Camp Nou to claim their 29th LaLiga ‌title.

Hansi Flick’s side moved to an unassailable 91 points, 14 clear of second-placed Real with three games remaining.

The triumph capped a dominant campaign in which they lost only four league matches. Villarreal are third on 69 points.

Real arrived needing victory to keep their wafer-thin title hopes alive, but Marcus ​Rashford crushed those aspirations just nine minutes into the game.

Antonio Rudiger fouled Ferran Torres just outside the box, and ​Rashford bent a superb free kick into Thibaut Courtois’ top-left corner, giving Barcelona the early ⁠lead and sending the home crowd into raptures.

Advertisement

Nine minutes later, Barcelona doubled the lead. Fermin Lopez crossed into the ​area, and Dani Olmo produced a clever backheel that sent the ball into the path of Torres, who rifled a ​fierce strike into the top corner.

The win completed back-to-back league titles for Flick, who also delivered the LaLiga and Copa del Rey double in his first season last year.

Both sides were heavily depleted. Barcelona were without Lamine Yamal, Raphinha and Jules Kounde from the starting ​lineup.

Real’s list of missing players was longer, with Eder Militao, Dani Carvajal, Ferland Mendy, Arda Guler and Rodrygo all absent. Federico ​Valverde also missed out after suffering a head injury following a midweek changing-room fight with team-mate Aurelien Tchouameni, with both players ‌fined 500,000 ⁠euros over the incident.

Kylian Mbappe did not travel because of a leg muscle injury, forcing manager Alvaro Arbeloa to start Vinicius Jr alongside academy striker Gonzalo, with Jude Bellingham and Brahim Diaz pushing forward in support.

Advertisement

Real threatened through Vinicius and Gonzalo before halftime, but Barcelona carried the greater menace. Courtois kept the visitors alive with fine saves from Torres ​and Rashford before the interval.

Barcelona ​continued to press after the ⁠break, Rashford repeatedly tormenting left back Fran Garcia down the right, while Courtois produced another sharp stop with his left foot to deny Torres from point-blank range in the ​56th minute.

Bellingham had a goal ruled out for offside in the 62nd minute, and ​Joan Garcia was quick to ⁠deny Vinicius in a one-on-one, preventing the Brazilian from lifting the ball over him.

Real kept probing late on, but there was little bite in their attack, and Barcelona calmly saw out the win before the title celebrations began.

“This title is even ⁠more special ​because we won it at home against Real Madrid. Now it’s time ​to enjoy it with the fans,” Frenkie de Jong told Spanish broadcaster Movistar Plus.

Advertisement

“Every title has to be celebrated in style. Especially LaLiga, which ​is a year-long competition. We’ve clearly been the best in Spain.”

-Reuters

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

La Liga

Two goalkeepers sent off for stoppage-time punching brawl in Spanish derby

blank

Published

on

blank

Real Zaragoza goalkeeper Esteban Andrada was sent off for punching Huesca captain Jorge Pulido in a fiery ​Spanish second division clash on Sunday that descended into ‌a mass brawl, with Huesca keeper Dani Jimenez dismissed for punching Andrada.

Zaragoza’s Dani Tasende was also dismissed after a VAR review ​of the brawl.

With tensions simmering in a relegation scrap, ​Argentine Andrada lost his composure moments before the ⁠final whistle. Ignoring the run of play, he approached ​Pulido and struck him in the face with his right ​hand, sparking chaotic scenes eight minutes into stoppage time.

It was an ugly flashpoint in a match already short on finesse and heavy on ​nerves, and could carry serious consequences for the goalkeeper.

Huesca ​manager Jose Luis did not attempt to defend the scenes.

Advertisement

“It’s hard ‌to ⁠explain; I think it’s a complete loss of control. I can put myself in their shoes, given what was at stake and all. But it’s unjustifiable. It’s just that ​I don’t know ​what to ⁠do or how to stop it; a brawl breaks out,” he said.

“It’s ugly; this was ​supposed to be a celebration of Aragonese ​football. I’d ⁠like people to talk about the match, even though it was ugly, with little play but a lot of ⁠hard work.”

Oscar ​Sielva’s goal secured a 1-0 ​win for Huesca, lifting them to 36 points in 19th place, while Zaragoza ​remain second-bottom on 35.

-Reuters

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement

Continue Reading

La Liga

Laporta re-elected as Barcelona president

blank

Published

on

blank
 FC Barcelona elections - Barcelona, Spain - March 16, 2026 Joan Laporta celebrates his victory after being re-elected as FC Barcelona president REUTERS/Albert Gea

Joan Laporta has been re-elected as ​Barcelona president after winning ‌over 68 percent of the vote and ​will begin his ​second consecutive term, and fourth ⁠overall, from July ​1, the club said ​on Sunday.

The 63-year-old took office in March 2021 and stepped ​down last month ​in line with club statutes ‌in ⁠order to seek re-election.

Laporta described the election as a “celebration of ​democracy and ​civic ⁠responsibility” and said the tasks ​ahead included finishing ​work ⁠on the Camp Nou and strengthening the ⁠men’s ​team.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Most Viewed