World Cup
World Cup Faces Disruption as Mexican Teachers Plan National Strike
Teachers in Mexico have threatened to embark on a nationwide strike during the 2026 FIFA World Cup if the government fails to meet demands for wage increases and pension reforms, raising fears of widespread disruption during one of the world’s biggest sporting events.
The warning was issued by the National Coordinating Committee of Education Workers, popularly known as CNTE, which described its demands as “non-negotiable.”
Mexico is due to co-host the 2026 FIFA World Cup alongside the United States and Canada, with the tournament scheduled to run from June 11 to July 19. The opening match between the Mexico national football team and the South Africa national football team will take place at the iconic Estadio Azteca.
The proposed industrial action would overlap with Mexico’s school calendar and could place additional pressure on authorities already preparing for the logistical demands of the expanded 48-team tournament.
In a statement released during nationwide demonstrations marking Teacher’s Day, the CNTE said it was fighting not only for educators but for all workers facing economic hardship and uncertain retirement conditions.
“The fight isn’t just for teachers; it’s for all workers whose right to a dignified retirement is threatened today,” the union declared during marches in Mexico City, where thousands of teachers carried banners and placards through the capital.
The union is demanding improved salaries, greater job security and pension guarantees that would ensure dignified retirement conditions for public workers. It also renewed criticism of the controversial 2007 ISSSTE law, which restructured pension arrangements for state employees and remains a major source of conflict between labour groups and the government.
The dispute intensified earlier this month after the Ministry of Public Education announced plans to end the school year early by moving the closing date from July 15 to June 5. Officials cited an extraordinary heat wave and scheduling concerns linked to the World Cup.
However, the proposal sparked backlash from teachers’ unions and parents’ associations, forcing authorities to reverse the decision.
Teacher protests have become a recurring challenge in Mexico. Last year, demonstrations over wages briefly disrupted operations at Benito Juarez International Airport, while the government later announced a 10 per cent salary increase and an additional week of vacation for educators.
Despite those concessions, union leaders insist that deeper structural reforms are required and say the looming World Cup provides an opportunity to draw international attention to long-standing grievances within Mexico’s education system.
Visit Sports Village Channel for more news:
https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
World Cup
Ebola Outbreak Hits World Cup-Bound DR Congo, WHO Declares Global Health Emergency

World Cup-bound Democratic Republic of the Congo has been hit by a fresh Ebola outbreak after the World Health Organisation declared the spread of the deadly virus in the country and neighbouring Uganda a Public Health Emergency of International Concern following dozens of suspected deaths and confirmed infections.
The WHO announced on Sunday that the outbreak, caused by the rare Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, has so far resulted in 80 suspected deaths, nine laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected infections, mainly in the eastern Congolese province of Ituri.
According to the UN health agency, the outbreak has spread across at least three health zones — Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu — while a ninth confirmed case was reported in the eastern city of Goma.
The development has raised fresh concerns ahead of the FIFA World Cup, with DR Congo among the African nations preparing for the global tournament.
The WHO, however, said the outbreak does not yet qualify as a pandemic emergency, although countries sharing borders with the DRC face a high risk of further transmission.
“This outbreak is extraordinary,” the WHO stated, noting that, unlike the more common Ebola-Zaire strain, there are currently no approved vaccines or specific treatments for the Bundibugyo virus.
Health authorities fear the actual scale of the outbreak could be significantly larger because of the increasing number of suspected infections and the high positivity rate from initial laboratory samples.
The WHO also confirmed that cases of international spread have already been documented.
In Kampala, Uganda’s capital, two unrelated laboratory-confirmed infections — including one death — were detected among travellers arriving from the DRC.
Another confirmed case was reported in Kinshasa involving a traveller returning from Ituri province.
The agency advised countries to immediately activate emergency response mechanisms, intensify cross-border screening and strengthen surveillance along major transport routes.
The WHO urged strict isolation of confirmed cases and daily monitoring of contacts, warning that exposed persons should not undertake international travel for at least 21 days unless medically evacuated.
Despite the growing concern, the WHO advised against border closures or travel bans, warning that such measures could encourage unofficial and unmonitored crossings.
The Ebola virus, first identified in the DRC in 1976, spreads through direct contact with infected bodily fluids, contaminated materials or deceased victims. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and severe body weakness, and the disease is frequently fatal.
Jean Kaseya, Director-General of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, said the continental health body was considering whether to declare the outbreak a public health emergency of continental security.
The outbreak is the 17th recorded Ebola epidemic in the DRC, whose dense tropical forests remain one of the natural reservoirs of the virus.
Visit Sports Village Channel for more news:
World Cup
Coach Arnold urges Iraq to show fighting spirit at World Cup

Iraq coach Graham Arnold said on Saturday he expects his side to show a trademark “fighting mentality” at next month’s World Cup after qualifying for the finals for the first time since 1986.
Iraq secured the last berth in the expanded 48-team tournament with a win over Bolivia in the intercontinental playoff final in Mexico in April. The finals will be held in North America.
Drawn in Group I alongside Norway, France and Senegal, Arnold described the pool as “the toughest group in the World Cup”.
“We work together as a family, and we go to the World Cup believing we can make Iraq proud,” Arnold told reporters.
Iraq open their campaign against Norway on June 16 before facing 2022 runners-up France on June 22 and Senegal four days later.
“Norway is our first focus, and we are getting ready for that game. Then we face the best team in the world, France — it will be a great experience,” Arnold said.
“What I expect from the Iraqi boys is that Iraqi mentality of fighting — we fight for every minute.”
Ranked 57th in the world, the 2007 Asian champions will continue their preparations with friendlies against Andorra in Girona on May 29 and Spain on June 4.
-Reuters
World Cup
FIFA says it held positive talks with Iran’s FA ahead of World Cup

FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom held a constructive and positive meeting with Iran’s FA (FFIRI) President Mehdi Taj on Saturday, he told Reuters, expressing confidence about the country’s participation at this year’s World Cup.
The Iranians are scheduled to play all three of their group matches in the United States, but the team’s participation in the June 11 to July 19 tournament has been in question since the U.S. and Israel attacked Iran in late February.
“We’ve had an excellent and constructive meeting together with the Iran FA,” Grafstrom said during a visit to Istanbul. “We’re working closely together and looking very much forward to welcoming them to the FIFA World Cup.”
More questions have arisen after FFIRI’s Taj was refused entry to Canada for the FIFA Congress in Vancouver earlier this month because of his links to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).
The U.S. and Canada, which are co-hosting the World Cup with Mexico, classify the IRGC as a “terrorist entity” and have made it clear they will not admit people with links to the elite military force.
Grafstrom declined to provide details on the visa situation for Iran’s players, but said the two sides had the opportunity to discuss some of the operational matters and had a positive exchange.
Taj told Reuters that FFIRI had a very good meeting with Grafstrom and other FIFA officials.
“I am pleased that they listened to Iran’s points, all 10 points that we had raised, and they offered solutions for each of them. I hope, God willing, that our national team can go to the World Cup without any problems and achieve very good results there,” he said.
Asked if FIFA had secured assurances on entry and visa arrangements for Iran’s players, Grafstrom declined to elaborate.
“We’ve discussed all relevant matters, but I think it’s not the place to discuss the details,” he said. “Overall, a very positive meeting and we’re looking forward to continuing the dialogue.”
Iran had asked for their World Cup matches to be switched to Mexico, but FIFA President Gianni Infantino insists that all games must be played at the grounds originally scheduled.
Iran’s squad will leave Tehran for a training camp in Turkey on Monday before moving on to their U.S. base at the Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Arizona, in early June.
Iran are scheduled to get their World Cup campaign underway against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15. They are also due to play Belgium and Egypt in Group G.
-Reuters
Visit Sports Village Channel for more news:
https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
World Cup1 week agoFIFA Plans Three Opening Ceremonies in All Host Nations for 2026 World Cup
-
World Cup1 week agoUnited States Unveils Hollywood-Style FIFA World Cup 2026 Opening Ceremony
-
World Cup5 days agoUS drops bond requirement for World Cup ticket holders
-
World Cup1 week agoMexico president wavers on plan to cut school year by 40 days for the World Cup
-
Nigerian Football6 days agoNPFL at 36: Why Nigeria’s League Top Scorers Rarely Become Super Eagles Legends
-
Nigerian Football6 days agoNPFL at 36: From Long Debate to Nigeria’s Football Showpiece
-
World Cup5 days agoMagic Johnson Leads Campaign to Showcase Los Angeles Ahead of World Cup
-
World Cup5 days agoWhite House: No visa issues for Iraq’s World Cup team