WOMEN'S FOOTBALL
Combined bid for 2031 Women’s World Cup includes 14 U.S. cities
The United States Soccer Federation and the soccer federations of Mexico, Costa Rica and Jamaica submitted their formal bid book to FIFA to co-host the 2031 Women’s World Cup by Friday’s deadline.
The four-way bid is the only proposal for the 2031 tournament, meaning it’s essentially a formality that those four nations will be awarded the event. There is only one submission for the 2035 Women’s World Cup as well — a joint bid by Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Fourteen of the 20 proposed venues in the U.S.-Mexico-Costa Rica-Jamaica bid are American cities. Eleven of them are NFL stadiums, along with Nashville SC’s MLS-specific venue, Orlando’s multi-purpose stadium and a relatively new stadium in San Diego that houses San Diego FC, the NWSL’s Wave and San Diego State football.
–Arlington, Texas (AT&T Stadium)
–Atlanta (Mercedes-Benz Stadium)
–Charlotte, N.C. (Bank of America Stadium)
–Denver (Empower Field at Mile High)
–East Rutherford, N.J. (MetLife Stadium)
–Houston (NRG Stadium)
–Inglewood, Calif. (SoFi Stadium)
–Kansas City, Mo. (Arrowhead Stadium)
–Minneapolis (U.S. Bank Stadium)
–Nashville, Tenn. (Geodis Park)
–Orlando, Fla. (Camping World Stadium)
–San Diego (Snapdragon Stadium)
–Seattle (Lumen Field)
–Washington (future Commanders stadium)
The other cities submitted for evaluation were Mexico City, Guadalajara, Monterrey and Torreon in Mexico; the Costa Rican capital of San Jose; and the Jamaican capital of Kingston.
However, the joint bid actually lists 36 different metro areas across the four countries that encompasses “nearly 50 venues capable of playing host to a record-breaking event.” The bid book says more than 20 venues were proposed in order to “demonstrate a commitment to securing the best possible hosting conditions and ensuring the tournament represents the full diversity of our region on a global scale.”
The United States hosted the Women’s World Cup in 1999 and 2003, and it is preparing for its second World Cup on the men’s side in 2026 (a joint effort with Canada and Mexico). Seven of the American stadiums on the list — AT&T Stadium, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, MetLife Stadium, NRG Stadium, SoFi Stadium, Arrowhead Stadium and Lumen Field — will serve as host venues next year.
Mexico has also hosted two men’s World Cups on its own (1970, 1986). This would mark the first time either Jamaica or Costa Rica hosts either World Cup.
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
WOMEN'S FOOTBALL
NWFL Confirms Castmog Ladies’ Relegation Over Registration and Licensing Non-Compliance

The Nigeria Women’s Football League (NWFL) Secretariat has officially confirmed the relegation of Castmog Ladies from the 2025/2026 NWFL Premiership after the club failed to meet mandatory licensing and registration requirements for the new season.
The announcement was made on Monday, November 24, 2025, in a statement issued by the league’s Media Director, Samuel Ahmadu, following Castmog Ladies’ inability to comply despite multiple warnings.
According to the Secretariat, three Premiership clubs had earlier been placed on notice to complete all registration and licensing processes. While the other two complied before the deadline, the Abeokuta-based club did not meet the stipulated obligations, resulting in automatic relegation under league regulations.
NWFL Chief Operating Officer, Ms. Modupe Shabi, confirmed that competition logistics are now being adjusted to reflect the revised league structure.
“We have a responsibility to protect the integrity of the league, and compliance with registration and licensing requirements is a non-negotiable part of that process,” Shabi said.
She stressed that strict adherence to league rules ensures the continued credibility, competitiveness, and long-term growth of women’s football in Nigeria.
Shabi also noted that updated season details will be announced shortly.
“Our focus is to ensure the season proceeds smoothly on Wednesday, November 26. Updated fixtures and communication will be issued to all clubs, and we remain committed to transparency and professionalism at every stage,” she added.
With Castmog Ladies officially relegated, the Premiership will now continue with 19 registered teams. As a result, all clubs scheduled to face Castmog Ladies—including Rivers Angels, who were originally lined up for the opening fixture—will now observe a bye on those matchdays.
The NWFL reiterated its commitment to enforcing high operational standards and supporting the sustainable development of women’s football nationwide.
.
Revised NWFL Premiership Matchday One Fixtures – November 26, 2025
Group A
- Bayelsa Queens vs Edo Queens
- Adamawa Queens vs Pacesetters Queens
- Heartland Queens vs Ekiti Queens
- Naija Ratels vs Ibom Angels
Group B
- Nasarawa Amazons vs Delta Queens
- Confluence Queens vs Abia Angels
- Sunshine Queens vs Robo Queens
- Ahudiyannem Queens vs Remo Stars Ladies
- Dannaz Ladies vs Osun Babes
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
WOMEN'S FOOTBALL
WAFU B U20 Girls Cup: Falconets trounce Ghana’s Princesses 3-0 to emerge champions

Janet Akekoromowei and Ramotalahi Kareem were again among the goals as Nigeria’s Falconets routed their Ghanaian counterparts 3-0 on Tuesday morning, to emerge champions of the WAFU B U20 Girls Tournament in Bénin Republic.
The Princesses, 1-3 losers to the two-time FIFA World Cup silver-medallists when both teams clashed at the same Stade Omnisport d’Adjohoun on Saturday, were unable to stop the rampaging Nigerians who were 2-0 up before the 25th minute, courtesy goals by Akekoromowei (17th minute) and Alaba Olabiyi (24th minute). Akekoromowie netted twice against the Ghanaians on Saturday while Kareem got a brace against the Beninoise on Sunday.
Victory sprang the Falconets to nine points and plus eight goals difference (they have scored thrice in each of their three games) to claim the trophy in the three-team tournament, with Ghana’s Princesses on six points after victories over the host nation.
The Falconets will be up against the host nation on Wednesday morning at the same venue, but the encounter is largely ceremonial as Nigeria have claimed the trophy.
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
WOMEN'S FOOTBALL
End of the Road for Flamingos as Italy Hand Nigeria Heavy Defeat

Nigeria’s hopes of another podium finish at the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup came to a crashing halt on Wednesday as the Flamingos suffered a 4–0 defeat to a ruthless Italy in their Round of 16 clash.
The result ends the 2022 bronze medallists’ journey in Morocco, drawing the curtain on what had been a turbulent campaign marked by flashes of promise but undermined by inconsistency.
Nigeria’s Early Promise Falters
Determined to prove their mettle after a shaky group stage, the Flamingos started brightly and could have taken the lead in the 24th minute. Captain Shakirat Moshood unleashed a powerful drive from the left edge of the penalty area, only to see her effort acrobatically turned away by Italian goalkeeper Matilde Robbioni.
Moments before the interval, Italy struck the first blow. Anna Copelli wove her way through Nigeria’s defence before calmly slotting past Sylvia Echefu to give the Europeans a 1–0 lead at halftime.
VAR Drama and Italian Ruthlessness
Nigeria believed they had drawn level ten minutes into the second half when Nguemo Terlumun bundled home after a tenacious effort from Queen Joseph. However, the Video Support Review (VSR) disallowed the goal, ruling that Joseph had kicked the ball out of the goalkeeper’s hands.
The setback proved costly. Three minutes later, Caterina Venturelli doubled Italy’s lead with a spectacular long-range strike that sailed over Echefu and nestled in the top corner.
The floodgates opened soon after. Giulia Robino made it 3–0 five minutes later, and in the 89th minute, a final VSR review confirmed Rachelle Giudici’s late effort as legitimate, completing a dominant 4–0 victory for the Italians.
Flamingos Bow Out, Eyes on the Future
With the defeat, Nigeria’s campaign ends in disappointment, while Italy march into the quarterfinals boasting a perfect record of four wins from four matches.
For the Flamingos, attention must now turn to the qualifying series for the next edition of the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup — now set to be held annually — as they look to rebuild and return stronger.
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
AFCON4 days agoRoyal Air Maroc Announces Special $715 Round-Trip Packages for Nigerian Fans Heading to AFCON 2025
-
Badminton6 days agoDoubles and Mixed Doubles Deliver High Drama at Bet9ja Badminton Championship
-
World Cup1 week agoDR Congo Gets Favourable Draw as World Cup Dream Moves a Step Closer
-
AFCON3 days agoClock Ticks for Chelle: Nigeria Must Submit Final AFCON List by December 11
-
CAF WOMEN'S LEAGUE1 week agoMorocco makes winning a habit as ASFAR wins Women’s Champions Clubs Cup again
-
AFCON6 days agoVIDEO- AFCON Countdown: Royal Air Maroc Unveils Star-Themed Aircraft to Celebrate Atlas Lions Ahead of Morocco 2025
-
AFCON1 week agoMorocco’s Hakimi and Aguerd Step Up Recovery as AFCON Countdown Intensifies
-
Commonwealth Games20 hours agoNigeria’s Failed Commonwealth Games’ Bid – A Disaster That Waited to Happen