Connect with us

Governing Bodies

FIFA threatens to suspend Brazil

blank

Published

on

President of the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) Ednaldo Rodrigues (L) presents the trophy to Palmeiras president Leila Pereira (C) after winning the Brazilian Championship against Cruzeiro on Dec. 6, 2023. AFP

FIFA warned Brazil on Sunday it could suspend its national teams and clubs from international competitions if an intervention by its soccer body leads to the election of a new president in January.

FIFA said in a letter to a Brazilian soccer executive that the country’s soccer body CBF could face suspension if it does not heed its call to wait and instead holds a swift election to replace Ednaldo Rodrigues as president regardless. The document was obtained by The Associated Press.

A Rio de Janeiro court removed Rodrigues and all his appointees at CBF from office on Dec. 7 due to irregularities in his election last year. Brazil’s two highest courts upheld that ruling last week.

Soccer’s governing body FIFA historically rejects government and third-party interference in its member associations, which ultimately could leave five-time World Cup winners Brazil out of major competitions until the crisis is solved.

The Rio court ruling also named José Perdiz, the head of Brazil’s top sports court, as an intervener to organize new elections for the presidency within 30 working days. FIFA said in previous letters to CBF it considers the intervention to be undue.

Advertisement

Sunday’s letter was signed by FIFA’s Kenny Jean-Marie, its chief members’ association officer, and CONMEBOL’s deputy secretary-general, Monserrat Jiménez Garcia.

FIFA and South American soccer body CONMEBOL also said in the letter they will form a commission to discuss the matter in Brazil on Jan. 8.

“FIFA and CONMEBOL would like to strongly emphasize that, until such mission takes place, no decision affecting CBF, including any elections or call for elections, shall be taken. Should this not be respected, FIFA will have no other option but to submit the matter to its relevant decision-making body for consideration and decision, which might also include a suspension,” the letter said.

“For the sake of good order, we would also like to underline that should CBF be eventually suspended by the relevant FIFA body, it would lose all of its membership rights with immediate effect and until the suspension is lifted by FIFA. This would also mean that CBF representative and clubs teams would no longer be entitled to take part in any international competition while it is suspended,” it added.

The document also says that any irregular interference in its member associations “can lead to sanctions as provided for in the FIFA Statutes, including a suspension, and this even if the third-party influence was/is not the fault of the member association concerned.”

Advertisement

Perdiz said in a statement he sees FIFA’s letter “as a positive sign.” He also added he will “call for the elections within the established deadline, with the transparency and integrity that are demanded.”

Spokespersons for Rodrigues did not respond a request for comment from the AP.

Rodrigues first took the job as interim president in 2021 after predecessor Rogério Caboclo was suspended. Local media reported he is currently in negotiations with other Brazilian soccer executives to either bid again for the presidency in new elections or to support another candidate.

Rodrigues’ term in office runs through 2026. He is yet another CBF president to face legal problems in recent years, though he is not involved in corruption cases like predecessors Ricardo Teixeira, José Maria Marin and Marco Polo del Nero.

Caboclo was suspended from the presidency in September 2021 in connection with a sexual harassment case at the CBF, which opened the path for vice presidents to elect Rodrigues as the first Black president of the soccer body.

Advertisement

The ruling against the 69-year-old Rodrigues could hurt Brazil’s bid to host the Women’s World Cup in 2027 and his quest to hire Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti to lead the national team next year.

-AP

 

 

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Governing Bodies

FIFA bans former Guyana football official Alves for five years over harassment

blank

Published

on

blank

FIFA’s independent Ethics Committee has banned former Guyana Football Federation (GFF) General Secretary Ian ​Alves from all football-related activities for ‌five years after finding he sexually harassed female staff members.

FIFA also fined Alves 20,000 Swiss francs ($22,000) after ​determining that he had breached provisions ​of the FIFA Code of Ethics relating ⁠to the protection of physical and ​mental integrity, abuse of position and general duties.

“FIFA ​has a strict stance against all forms of abuse in football,” the organisation said on Monday.

The decision ​followed a review of written statements from ​the victims, documents provided by the GFF, submissions from ‌Alves, ⁠and other evidence gathered during the investigation.

Alves stepped down from his position in 2024.

Advertisement

The ban came into force on Monday, when ​the terms of ​the ⁠decision were notified to Alves, and the full grounds for the ​ruling will be communicated within 60 ​days ⁠in accordance with the Code of Ethics, FIFA added.

The GFF did not immediately respond to ⁠a ​Reuters request for comment. Alves ​could not immediately be reached for comment.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

Infantino to seek fourth term as FIFA president

blank

Published

on

blank
The  76th FIFA Congress - Vancouver Convention Centre, Vancouver, Canada - April 30, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during the congress as the FIFA World Cup Trophy is seen REUTERS/Jennifer Gauthier

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said on Thursday that he planned to seek re-election for a fourth term in a bid to ​continue to lead the governing body of world soccer.

Infantino ​confirmed he would run for the 2027–2031 term in ⁠the closing moments of the FIFA Congress in Vancouver, which ​comes less than two months before the start of the World ​Cup.

The election will be held on March 18 in Morocco, which is set to co-host the 2030 World Cup.

Infantino said he was “honoured ​and humbled” to have the chance to run for a ​fourth term.

The Italian-Swiss took office in 2016, replacing Sepp Blatter, and was re-elected ‌unopposed ⁠in 2019 and 2023.

Advertisement

Infantino has pushed for the expansion of FIFA competitions during his tenure, with this year’s World Cup in North America the first to feature 48 teams, while the ​women’s tournament in ​2023 has been ⁠expanded to 32 teams.

Infantino’s tenure has also drawn some criticism over issues such as high World ​Cup ticket prices and the decision to award ​the ⁠inaugural FIFA Peace Prize to U.S. President Donald Trump at the World Cup draw in December.

Earlier this month, the council of South ⁠American ​football’s governing body (CONMEBOL) said in a statement ​it would unanimously support the 56-year-old if he decided to seek another ​term.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

FIFA Congress Overshadowed by Whitecaps Supporters’ Protest

blank

Published

on

blank

The supporters of Vancouver Whitecaps, a professional football (soccer) club in Canada, have staged a protest outside the FIFA Congress on Thursday, voicing fears that the Major League Soccer club could be relocated as uncertainty deepens over its ownership and long-term future.

The club is one of Canada’s most historic football institutions and has long been a central part of Vancouver’s sporting identity.

Around 100 fans gathered as delegates arrived for the annual FIFA meeting in Vancouver, chanting, singing and waving club flags in a show of solidarity. The demonstration comes just days after Vancouver Whitecaps FC revealed difficulties in securing a buyer willing to keep the club in the city.

The Whitecaps disclosed earlier this week that “stadium economics, venue access and revenue limitations” have complicated efforts to sell the club, despite a 16-month search for new ownership.

Season ticket holder Derek Hawksworth said supporters felt compelled to act amid growing fears of relocation.

Advertisement

“I wanted to come down given the threat of the team possibly moving,” he said. “It’s a rich history with the Whitecaps in North America… we want Vancouver to stay and not relocate. The history is here, and we want to continue with that history moving forward.”

The Vancouver Whitecaps are a professional football (soccer) club based in Vancouver, Canada. They currently compete in Major League Soccer (MLS), the top-tier league in the United States and Canada.

Concerns were heightened by reports that cities such as Las Vegas and Phoenix are leading contenders should the club relocate.

Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim has urged intervention, calling on the provincial government — which owns BC Place — to negotiate a “bridge deal” that would allow the team to remain while plans for a new stadium are explored. The club’s current lease at BC Place expires at the end of the year.

Despite the off-field uncertainty, the Whitecaps have been one of the standout teams this MLS season. They currently sit second in the Western Conference with 24 points from nine matches, just three points behind the San Jose Earthquakes.

Advertisement

For supporters, however, performances on the pitch offer little comfort as the future of their club hangs in the balance — a situation they hope global football leaders gathering in Vancouver will not ignore.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Most Viewed