Connect with us

World Cup

No one should assume Neymar’s role in Brazil, says coach ahead of World Cup qualifiers

blank

Published

on

World Cup - South American Qualifiers - Brazil Training - Granja Comary, Teresopolis, Brazil - November 14, 2023 Brazil's Endrick during training REUTERS/Ricardo Moraes Acquire Licensing Rights

No player in Brazil should feel pressure to take over the role of Neymar, sidelined with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament and meniscus, coach Fernando Diniz said ahead of the World Cup qualifiers against Colombia and Argentina.

The 31-year-old captain underwent surgery earlier this month after picking up his left knee injury on international duty, with his recovery expected to last until mid-2024.

Despite losing the country’s top scorer, Diniz is not expecting a new hero to emerge in a young team brimming with talent set to face Colombia on Thursday and world champions Argentina on Tuesday.

“Nobody has to worry about taking over Neymar’s role. We have an extremely talented generation,” the interim coach told reporters on Wednesday.

“Many can take on this role, but it’s important that we don’t put that weight on them. The players have to feel light and do their best. They’ll naturally take centre stage.”

Advertisement

Diniz said players such as Barcelona’s Raphinha, Real Madrid’s Rodrygo and Vinicius, or Arsenal’s Gabriel Martinelli and Gabriel Jesus can shine in Neymar’s absence.

The 39-year-old coach, recently crowned in the Copa Libertadores, also called up teenage prodigy Endrick to play for the five-time world champions for the first time.

“(Endrick) is here because of his merit and enormous future potential,” Diniz said.

“We don’t have to expect everything from a 17-year-old Endrick. I see huge potential. He could become one of those legendary players in Brazilian football, but time will tell,” he said about the Palmeiras forward, who will join Real Madrid in July.

Brazil are third in the South American qualifying group, level on seven points with second-placed Uruguay and Venezuela in fourth, behind Argentina on 12 points after four games.

Advertisement

-Reuters

 

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

World Cup

Burna Boy Takes Nigeria to FIFA World Cup Stage With New Anthem

blank

Published

on

blank

By Kunle Solaja.

Global music stars Shakira and Burna Boy have joined forces to release Dai Dai, the Official Song of the FIFA World Cup 2026, in support of the FIFA Global Citizen Education Fund.

FIFA announced on Friday that the song, released via Sony Music Latin, is now available on all major streaming platforms as excitement continues to build ahead of the expanded World Cup tournament to be hosted by the United States, Canada and Mexico next year.

According to FIFA, Dai Dai combines the global sounds and energy of Shakira and Burna Boy in what it described as a vibrant celebration of football, culture and unity.

The song will also serve a humanitarian purpose, with royalties supporting the FIFA Global Citizen Education Fund, an initiative targeting the raising of $100 million before the end of the tournament to provide children around the world with access to quality education and football opportunities.

Advertisement

FIFA revealed that Shakira will donate her royalties from the song to the fund, while Sony Music will match the first $250,000 raised through an additional contribution.

The release further strengthens Burna Boy’s growing global profile and marks another major collaboration between African music and international football events.

FIFA also confirmed that Shakira will co-headline the FIFA World Cup 2026 Final Halftime Show on July 19, introducing a historic first for the World Cup final. The halftime spectacle is expected to unite global artists in a celebration blending sport, music and social impact in support of the education fund.

Dai Dai follows earlier releases including Lighter, Por Ella, Echo and Illuminate as part of the buildup to the Official FIFA World Cup 2026 Album, with more singles expected in the coming weeks.

FIFA said the album project reflects the diversity and global spirit of the World Cup by featuring artists from different continents, genres and cultures, while using football and music as unifying forces for fans worldwide.

Advertisement

Visit Sports Village Channel for more news:

https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

World Cup

Uncapped goalkeeper gets first French call-up in World Cup squad

blank

Published

on

blank

Uncapped goalkeeper ​Robin Risser and Crystal Palace duo Maxence Lacroix and Jean-Philippe Mateta were all named in ‌France’s World Cup squad by coach Didier Deschamps on Thursday.

Risser was picked on the back of his performances for Racing Lens, who will finish second in Ligue 1 and compete in the French Cup final later this month. The 21-year-old ​was voted Ligue 1’s best goalkeeper earlier this week.

He gets a first call-up at the expense ​of Lucas Chevalier, who had been expected to feature but was overlooked after losing ⁠his starting berth in the Paris Saint-Germain team and being sidelined injured. Chevalier has not played ​since January.

Striker Mateta, who debuted last October, has won three caps and was selected ahead of Randal Kolo ​Muani to fill the place vacated by Hugo Ekitike, who suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon playing for Liverpool against PSG in the Champions League last month.

“He has a different profile to other strikers,” said Deschamps of his choice.

Advertisement

CAMAVINGA WILL BE DISAPPOINTED ​WITH OMISSION

There was also speculation about whether Deschamps would stick with Eduardo Camavinga, after a disappointing season ​with Real Madrid, but the coach chose defender Lacroix, who made an impressive debut against Brazil in March.

“I would imagine ‌it is ⁠a huge disappointment for him, but he has had a tough season with injury as well,” the coach said of Camavinga.

There were no other surprises in the 26-man squad, which has 10 players who featured in the last World Cup final in Qatar four years ago, while Lucas Hernandez, N’Golo Kante and Kylian ​Mbappe remain from the side ​that won in Moscow ⁠in 2018.

Captain Mbappe leads a formidable attack that also features Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele and rising star Michael Olise.

The squad was announced live on the main ​nightly news bulletin on France’s TF1 channel.

Advertisement

France compete in Group I at the ​World Cup ⁠against Iraq, Norway and Senegal.

Squad:

Goalkeepers: Mike Maignan (AC Milan), Robin Risser (Racing Lens), Brice Samba (Stade Rennais)

Defenders: Lucas Digne (Aston Villa), Malo Gusto (Chelsea), Lucas Hernandez (Paris St Germain), Theo Hernandez (Al Hilal), Ibrahima Konate (Liverpool), Jules Kounde (Barcelona), Maxence Lacroix (Crystal Palace), William Saliba (Arsenal), Dayot Upamecano (Bayern ⁠Munich).

Midfielders: N’Golo ​Kante (Fenerbahce), Manu Kone (Roma), Adrien Rabiot (AC Milan), Aurelien Tchouameni (Real Madrid), Warren Zaire-Emery (Paris ​St Germain)

Advertisement

Forwards: Maghnes Akliouche (Monaco), Bradley Barcola (Paris St Germain), Rayan Cherki (Manchester City), Ousmane Dembele, Desire Doue (both Paris St Germain), Jean-Philippe Mateta (Crystal Palace), Kylian ​Mbappe (Real Madrid), Michael Olise (Bayern Munich), Marcus Thuram (Inter Milan).

-Reuters

Visit Sports Village Channel for more news:

https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

World Cup

Ancelotti extends contract as Brazil manager until 2030

blank

Published

on

blank
Brazil head coach Carlo Ancelotti speaks during an interview with Reuters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, May 12, 2026. Picture taken with a phone. REUTERS/Sergio Queiroz

Carlo Ancelotti ​extended his contract as ‌Brazil manager until the 2030 World Cup, ​the Brazilian ​soccer federation (CBF) said in a ⁠statement on ​Thursday.

Ancelotti joined Brazil in ​2025 and will lead the team at this ​year’s World Cup, ​which kicks off on June ‌11 ⁠in the United States, Mexico and Canada.

-Reuters

Visit Sports Village Channel for more news.

Advertisement

https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Most Viewed