World Cup
Lesotho upset error prone Super Eagles in World Cup qualifier
BY KUNLE SOLAJA, Uyo
What a sloppy way to open a World Cup qualifying campaign! The Super Eagles had to struggle to hold Lesotho to a 1-1 draw on Thursday at the Godwill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo to signal what will most likely be a laborious campaign to the 2026 World Cup.
- Sloppy goalkeeping, characteristic of the teamas well as feeble attack and elements of ill luck all combined to rob the Super Eagles of an anticipated victory.
Jose Peseiro still have a lot of explanation to make for his fixation on Francis Uzoho in goa for Nigeria. He put every foot wrong and appeared unsettled throughout the match.
And so, for the first time, Lesotho chalked up a point from an encounter with Nigeria. The sloppy performance of the Super Eagles should however not eclipse the excellent display by Lesotho.
They appeared to have all the antidotes to the sleeky style the Nigerian players were exhibiting. Special praise to their goalkeeper, Sekhoane Moerane whose flexibility and agility complemented the ill luck that appeared to have afflicted the Super Eagles.
Time and time again in the first half, the Super Eagles appeared to prefer walking the ball into the net rather than taking shots. The coach, apparently reserving the best legs, left utility Moses Simon and Sadiq Umar on the bench.
The goal by Motlomelo Mkwanazi for Lesotho in the 56th minute jolted him to introduce Simon, Umar and Ayodele Aribo who all combined to change the tempo of the game and piled pressure on Lesotho.
This paid off in the 67th minute when defender, Semilogo Ajayi employed his good hight to nod home and salvaged a point for Nigeria.
Now it is advantage South Africa who opens their campaign with a home match against Benin on Saturday. A win put them on the driver’s seat Group C.
On Sunday, the Super Eagles will face Zimbabwe at home.
World Cup
US drops bond requirement for World Cup ticket holders

The Trump administration will not require World Cup ticket holders from countries flagged for high rates of visa overstays to pay expensive bonds to enter the United States, a U.S. State Department official said on Wednesday.
The administration last year began requiring visitors from some countries to pay bonds of up to $15,000 to obtain tourist visas to the U.S., saying the steep deposit was needed to prevent visa overstays. Fifty countries are currently subject to the bond requirement, which was expanded this year.
Five of the 50 countries subject to the visa bonds qualified to participate in the World Cup: Algeria, Cape Verde, Ivory Coast, Senegal and Tunisia.
Mora Namdar, the top official in the State Department’s consular affairs division, said the U.S. would waive the bond requirement for ticket-holding fans who had already registered through a special system to expedite their visa processing. Qualifying team members and staff can also have the bonds waived, Namdar said.
“We remain committed to strengthening U.S. national security priorities while facilitating legitimate travel for the upcoming World Cup tournament,” she said in a statement.
The Associated Press first reported the news.
The World Cup, one of the globe’s biggest sporting events, will be held in June and July this year across three countries – the United States, Canada and Mexico.
U.S. President Donald Trump’s aggressive immigration crackdown has already cast a pall over the event and raised concerns about the presence of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers.
Last year, masked federal agents surged into U.S. cities to track down immigration offenders and detained some tourists at airports.
The advocacy group Human Rights Watch , in late April, called on FIFA to press the U.S. government to establish an “ICE Truce” for the World Cup, including a public guarantee to refrain from immigration enforcement operations at games and venues.
DHS said at the time that international visitors travelling for the games “have nothing to worry about” if they have legal immigration status.
The U.S. launched a system in January to make it easier for World Cup ticket holders to obtain expedited visas. In order to have the bond requirement waived, ticket holders from affected countries must have registered in that system, known as FIFA PASS, by April 15.
-Reuters
Visit the Sports Village Square Channel: https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
World Cup
New Jersey cuts World Cup rail ticket prices again

New Jersey’s public rail system is further dropping its World Cup ticket price from an original $150 per round trip to $98, the rail system provider said on Wednesday.
This NJ TRANSIT cut followed a reduction to $105 earlier in May.
The prices for the trip, which outraged World Cup fans both in the New York City area and from overseas, sparked much political comment, from local officials to U.S. Senate Democratic Leader Chuck Schumer.
Local officials had complained that FIFA was going to earn billions from the event, while New Jersey taxpayers would be footing a huge bill for security, disrupted services and other game-related impacts.
“We were able to reduce costs while protecting NJ Transit’s daily customers and commuters from bearing the financial burden,” NJ Transit Chair Priya Jain said.
The price drop was possible because of additional advertising revenue, the agency said.
The tournament, co-hosted by the U.S., Canada and Mexico, starts on June 11.
-Reuters
Visit the Sports Village Square Channel: https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
World Cup
White House: No visa issues for Iraq’s World Cup team

The White House refuted reports that the United States denied visas for five members of Iraq’s national team ahead of next month’s World Cup.
The State Department sent a statement on Wednesday to Front Office Sports in response to online reports involving five players, including Luton Town forward Ali Al-Hamadi.
“Currently, there are no known issues affecting the Iraq National Team players, and they remain on track to compete in the World Cup,” the statement reads. “We maintain daily communication with FIFA and will continue to prioritise these players in accordance with the President’s Executive Order, ensuring an incredible and safe tournament.”
The Iraqi Football Association also quashed the rumours that had circulated on social media on Tuesday.
“The news is false, and the truth is that all the national team players have obtained entry visas to America,” it said, per the Iraqi news site The New Region, adding that the players are also in the process of getting Canadian visas.
Iraq is in a tough Group I for this summer’s FIFA World Cup in North America, along with France, Senegal and Norway. Iraq is scheduled to play games in Foxborough, Mass. (June 16 vs. Norway), Philadelphia (June 22 vs. France) and in Toronto (June 26 vs. Senegal).
-Reuters
Visit the Sports Village Square Channel: https://www.whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
World Cup5 days agoFIFA Plans Three Opening Ceremonies in All Host Nations for 2026 World Cup
-
World Cup4 days agoUnited States Unveils Hollywood-Style FIFA World Cup 2026 Opening Ceremony
-
World Cup5 days agoMexico president wavers on plan to cut school year by 40 days for the World Cup
-
World Cup6 days agoBurna Boy Joins Shakira for Official 2026 World Cup Song ‘Dai Dai’
-
World Cup1 week agoDespite 2026 Absence, Nigeria Still Leads Africa’s World Cup Winners’ Chart
-
Premier League5 days agoMan United’s Fernandes and City’s Shaw win FWA Footballer of the Year awards
-
Nigerian Football5 days agoSporting Lagos Crowned 2026 NNL Champions After Dramatic Super Four Finale
-
Premier League3 days agoArsenal survive huge scare to edge towards title