Connect with us

Premier League

Big blow for Man United: Casemiro unlikely to play before Christmas after hamstring injury

Published

on

Manchester United’s Casemiro leaves the pitch after the first half during the EFL Cup fourth round soccer match between Manchester United and Newcastle at Old Trafford stadium in Manchester, England, Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Manchester United midfielder Casemiro is unlikely to play before Christmas after sustaining a hamstring injury.

The Brazil international was taken off at halftime of United’s 3-0 loss against Newcastle in the League Cup last week.

United initially said he would be out of action for “several weeks,” but on Tuesday manager Erik ten Hag gave a clearer indication of how long it would take Casemiro to recover.

Speaking ahead of United’s Champions League game against Copenhagen on Wednesday, Ten Hag said Casemiro and (Lisandro) Martinez had “really strong injuries” and added “I don’t expect them back before Christmas.”

Long-term absentee Martinez has a foot injury.

Advertisement

United has 10 games in all competitions between now and Christmas and is also without injured defenders Luke Shaw and Tyrell Malacia.

“I have some time schedules,” Ten Hag said. “But it’s always difficult to project (recovery times) … because there can always be setbacks during the rehab period.”

United’s squad for Copenhagen also includes Victor Lindelof and Marcus Rashford, who missed Saturday’s game against Fulham through illness and a leg issue respectively, but Ten Hag said they were “100%.”

-AP

 

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Premier League

Sancho back in training with Man United after positive meeting with Ten Hag

Published

on

Jadon Sancho was back training with Manchester United for the first time in 10 months, with a club source confirming the winger and manager Erik ten Hag have resolved their differences following their public fallout last year.

Sancho and Ten Hag had a positive meeting at Carrington Training Centre and the two have decided to draw a line under last season’s drawn-out argument, the club source said.

The 24-year-old Sancho made just three appearances for United last season, spending the second half of the campaign on loan to Borussia Dortmund after his relationship with Ten Hag soured in September.

Ten Hag had left the winger out of his squad for United’s 3-1 loss to Arsenal, saying Sancho’s performances in training had not warranted a place in his team. Sancho immediately lashed out on social media, accusing Ten Hag of making him a “scapegoat.”

He was banished from the first team and trained with United’s youth squad before returning to his former club Dortmund in January, where he shone during their Champions League semi-final victory against Paris St Germain, earning praise from Ten Hag. Dortmund were beaten by Real Madrid in the final.

Advertisement

“(Sancho) is a very good player… he showed why Manchester United bought him and he showed he represents a high value for Manchester United, which is good,” Ten Hag told reporters following Dortmund’s 1-0 win over PSG in the first leg.

“I’m happy for Jadon, for the performance, and we’ll see what is going to happen in the future.”

Sancho will not travel with the team to Norway for their pre-season opener against Rosenborg since he began training later than the other players but the club source said he would be available for selection after that.

-Reuters

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Premier League

Another Nigerian blood replaces Ndidi at Leicester

Published

on

Wilfred Ndidi who has just left Leicester City will have another Nigerian blood replacing him.

Leicester has never been without a Nigerian since Ahmed Musa joined in 2016. Ndidi and Kelechi Iheanacho joined in 2017.

Another Nigerian blood, Caleb Okoli, a centre back, has just been signed from Italian  Serie A side Atalanta on a five-year contract. Born in Itali, Caleb Okoli is Igbo and Yoruba by descent.

The 22-year-old, who spent the last season on loan at Frosinone Calcio, represented Italy at the European Under-21 Championship last year.

“I think now is the right moment (for me) to make a step forward and a very big one. I’m very happy with the choice I made, so I’m very excited to start in the Premier League,” Okoli said in a statement. The clubs did not disclose financial details of the deal.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Premier League

Ruud van Nistelrooy returns to Man United

Published

on

United legend Van Nistelrooy is expected to be announced as one of Erik ten Hag's assistants

Manchester United legend, Ruud van Nistelrooy has been spotted being driven into Carrington, the training ground of Manchester United.

Ruud van Nistelrooy (left) and Rene Hake arrived at Manchester United’s training ground

Reports have it that the Dutchman is set to be appointed as one of Erik ten Hag’s new assistant coaches.

He played for Manchester United from 2001 to 2006.

Now  48, he reportedly turned down job offer from Burnley to return to his old club, having previously led PSV Eindhoven to second place in the Eredivisie and victory in the Dutch Cup.

He is being joined by Rene Hake, 52, who was persuaded to give up his job as Go Ahead Eagles manager despite leading the Deventer-based club into Europe for only the third time in their history.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Most Viewed