Connect with us

SERIE A

On Nigeria’s Independence Day, Osimhen strikes peace with Napoli

blank

Published

on

Napoli's social media executive, Alessio Fortino who stepped down for peace to reign

After almost 10 days of face-off between Super Eagles forward, Victor Osimhen and the Napoli FC officials, there is truce in the air following the message from Osimhen, on Sunday, Nigeria’s 63rd Independence Day Celebration.

Osimhen broke his silence on the controversial videos posted on the club’s official TikTok account that appeared to openly mock him.

Osimhen was the subject of two offensive clips shared on the popular social media app, with the first seemingly deriding him for missing a penalty late last month.

The second then labelled him a ‘coconut’ and has been viewed as a racial slur.

His agent threatened to sue the Serie A side in the wake of the fallout and Napoli responded by insisting that no offence was intended, though they did not apologise.

Advertisement

Napoli’s social media executive has since stepped down from his role.

Osimhen, however, has called for unity and thanked supporters for their kindness.

A statement released on Sunday afternoon said: ‘Coming to the city of Naples in 2020 was a wonderful decision for me.

“The people of Napoli have shown me so much love and kindness, and I will not allow anyone to come between us.

‘The passion of the people of Naples fuels my fire to always play with my heart and soul, and the love for the badge is unwavering as I wear it with pride.

Advertisement

‘The accusations against people of Naples are untrue. I have a lot of friends that are Napolitans and have become part of my family and everyday life. I appreciate Nigerians and everyone for leading their voices to support and reach out to me.

‘I’m forever grateful. Let’s support unity, respect and understanding. FORZA NAPOLI SEMPRE.’

The 24-year-old reacted to the incident by deleting all but one reference to Napoli on his social media accounts and again refused to take a penalty at the weekend.

Osimhen received a private apology from Napoli directors on Wednesday but is upset they did not make amends publically, according to Corriere dello Sport.

 

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

SERIE A

Italy referee chief suspends himself 

blank

Published

on

blank
Renato Dall'Ara, Bologna, Italy - June 22, 2020 Referee Gianluca Rocchi, as play resumes behind closed doors following the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) REUTERS/Jennifer Lorenzini

The man in charge of assigning Serie A and B referees, Gianluca Rocchi, has suspended himself from the ​role with immediate effect while under investigation for ‌sports fraud by Milan’s Public Prosecutor’s Office.

VAR supervisor Andrea Gervasoni has taken similar action for the same reasons, and the investigation is ​looking into incidents during last season’s Serie A ​campaign.

“This choice, painful, difficult but shared with my family, ⁠is intended to allow the legal proceedings to run ​their course properly, from which I am sure I will ​come out unscathed and stronger than before,” Rocchi’s statement to Italy’s referees’ association (AIA) said.

According to Italian media reports, Rocchi is accused of interfering ​with VAR protocols along with selecting referees preferable to ​Inter Milan.

“We are learning everything from the media, so we are stunned ‌by ⁠the declarations,” Inter President Giuseppe Marotta told Sky Sports before his side’s game at Torino on Sunday.

Advertisement

“We do not have referees that we favour or are unfavourable towards, we ​are confident ​that we acted ⁠entirely fairly, which should reassure everyone.

“We are safe in the knowledge that Inter are ​not involved in this situation and will not ​be ⁠involved in the future.”

The news has sparked fears in Italy of another crisis, similar to the Calciopoli match-fixing scandal which ⁠saw ​Juventus stripped of the 2004-05 Serie ​A title and relegated to Serie B, with AC Milan, Fiorentina, Lazio and ​Reggina also involved.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

SERIE A

Why Osimhen Fell Out with Napoli

blank

Published

on

blank

Nigerian striker Victor Osimhen has opened up on the breakdown of his relationship with SSC Napoli, revealing how a controversial social media post, racial abuse and strained transfer dealings ultimately ended his time in Naples.

In an interview with Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport, Osimhen described the turning point as a TikTok video posted by Napoli in September 2023 that appeared to mock him for missing a penalty.

“After Napoli posted that video on TikTok, something broke forever,” he said.

The video showed Osimhen appealing for a penalty with a squeaky, sped-up voice dubbed over the footage, followed by the clip of his missed spot kick. Although the post was quickly deleted after his representatives labelled it offensive and reportedly considered legal action, the damage, according to the striker, had already been done.

Osimhen said the incident triggered a wave of toxic online reactions, including racist insults directed at him. He also recounted how some supporters confronted him at his residence, demanding explanations over the controversy.

Advertisement

For the 2023 African Footballer of the Year, the episode marked a decisive rupture in trust.

“I’m not a puppet,” he said, describing a period in which he felt humiliated and sidelined despite his contributions to the club.

Beyond the social media row, Osimhen suggested that tensions over his future compounded the fallout. He indicated that there had been an understanding with Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis regarding a potential departure in a future transfer window, but he felt the club did not honour that understanding.

“They treated me like a dog,” he said, adding that decisions were being made about his career without what he considered basic respect.

By late summer 2024, relations had deteriorated sharply. Reports indicated that Napoli excluded him from their Serie A squad list amid transfer uncertainty. The impasse eventually led to a season-long loan move to Galatasaray, bringing the standoff to a temporary close.

Advertisement

Osimhen was instrumental in Napoli’s historic 2022–23 Serie A title triumph, finishing as the league’s top scorer with 26 goals and becoming one of the defining figures of that championship campaign.

His departure, therefore, marked a dramatic reversal — from talismanic hero to sidelined star.

Now rebuilding his career in Turkey, Osimhen said his decision to speak publicly was driven by a desire to reclaim his narrative.

He explained that he had remained silent for months out of respect for Napoli supporters, but felt compelled to address the circumstances that led to his exit.

The episode underscores how a combination of social media missteps, fan reaction and unresolved transfer negotiations can unravel even the most successful partnerships in modern football.

Advertisement

For Osimhen, a relationship that once delivered a Scudetto ended not with celebration, but with controversy.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

SERIE A

Modric joins Milan on  one-year deal

blank

Published

on

blank
 Luka Modric arrives in Milan - Milan, Italy - July 14, 2025 Luka Modric arrives in Milan before signing for AC Milan REUTERS/Daniele Mascolo 

Croatia captain Luka Modric, who left Real Madrid after 13 years at the LaLiga club, has completed his move to AC Milan on a one-year deal with an option to extend until June 2027, the Serie A side said on Monday.

The midfielder’s arrival was confirmed by newly-appointed Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri earlier this month.

“Very happy to be here to start a new chapter in my career,” said Modric, who turns 40 in September, in an Instagram video shared by Milan.

Milan said Modric will wear the number 14 shirt, which he previously wore during his four years at English side Tottenham Hotspur to honour Dutch great Johan Cruyff.

“It’s an immense honour for them to compare me to (Cruyff)… I wore the no. 14 at Tottenham in honour of him, and because the no. 10 wasn’t available,” Modric had said after winning the Ballon d’Or award in 2018.

Advertisement

Modric, regarded as one of the greatest midfielders of all time, announced in May that he would leave Real after the Club World Cup. He has made 597 appearances for the Spanish club, winning 28 trophies including four LaLiga and six Champions League titles.

He played his last game for Real on Wednesday, coming on as a second-half substitute during a 4-0 loss to Paris St Germain in the Club World Cup semi-finals.

“It’s a bitter end… he’s a legend of world football and of Real Madrid. He’ll be remembered for many more good things than for the 25 minutes he played today,” Real Madrid manager Xabi Alonso said after the match.

Modric, considered Croatia’s greatest player of all time, has represented the country a record 188 times, scoring 28 goals. He won the Golden Ball at World Cup 2018, where he led Croatia to the final for the first time.

He won the Ballon d’Or in December that year, becoming the first player other than Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to win the prestigious annual award since 2007.

Advertisement

Modric’s arrival reinforces a Milan midfield that also features Youssouf Fofana, Yunus Musah and Ruben Loftus-Cheek, with Samuele Ricci joining from Torino earlier this month.

Milan, who failed to qualify for a European competition after finishing eighth in the Italian top-flight league last season, begin their Serie A campaign against newly-promoted Cremonese on August 23.

-Reuters

 Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Most Viewed