Boxing
Anthony Joshua’s nemesis, Usyk beat another British boxer to retain world titles
Ukraine’s Oleksandr Usyk who snatched the world heavyweight boxing titles from Anthony Joshua has knocked out British challenger Daniel Dubois in nine rounds on Saturday to retain his WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight boxing world titles in a fight overshadowed by a low blow controversy.
Puerto Rican referee Luis Pabon counted out Dubois after he went down 48 seconds into the ninth round at the open-air Tarczynski Arena in Wroclaw, Poland.
Dubois was also given a nine count at the end of the previous round but the key moment came in round five when Usyk, now with a record of 21-0, went down gasping for breath after being hit on the band of his shorts.
The referee ruled it a low blow and told Usyk to take his time as he remained on the canvas grimacing and shaking his head, with the round eventually continuing.
Dubois, who lasted longer than expected but took some big blows with blood oozing from his nose early in round nine, said the blow was legal.
“I’ve been cheated out of victory tonight,” he told TNT Sports in the ring.
His promoter Frank Warren agreed with the fighter and called for a rematch.
“That referee got it badly wrong. If it’s a low blow why didn’t he take points off him. I like Usyk but that was a home town decision, a complete home town decision. He (Dubois) won that fight.
“They gave him a couple of minutes to recover from a legitimate shot.
“The governing bodies will have to do something about it and they will order a rematch,” he added. “How can you not order a rematch on the strength of that? They have to. Justice has to be done.”
Usyk had been in control of the fight against a 25-year-old regarded by most as an underdog for whom victory would have ranked as a major upset.
The Ukrainian said he was now ready to fight WBA heavyweight champion Tyson Fury if the Briton was willing.
“Will Tyson Fury? I have no idea,” said the 36-year-old after dancing in the ring as his fans cheered.
Dubois’s chance came after a bout to unify the titles fell apart last March.
Russia’s invasion of neighbouring Ukraine hung over the evening, with seven Ukrainians on the undercard and a pre-fight video address from Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskiy to a stadium decked out in the country’s yellow and blue colours.
“Tonight Wroclaw will witness something very special,” Zelenskiy told the 40,000-strong crowd gathered on a rainy evening.
“Ukrainians, Brits, Poles and the whole world tonight on the eve of the 550th day since the full-scale Russian invasion has started and we keep standing and Ukraine is fighting because of the strength you’ll see.
“The strength of our people as mighty as Oleksandr Usyk, the strength of our friends as solid as Daniel Dubois.”
-Reuters
Boxing
Dubois stops Wardley in 11th round to take WBO heavyweight title

Daniel Dubois came back from two knockdowns to deal Fabio Wardley a brutal and bloody first defeat as a professional and take the WBO heavyweight title in a thunderous all-British clash on Saturday.
Referee Howard Foster finally stepped in at the start of the 11th round to signal the end of the fight, with Wardley bleeding heavily from the bridge of the nose and with his right eye almost closed.
Dubois rose twice from the canvas, including being dropped by a right hook in the first 10 seconds of the fight, to pulverise Wardley and become a world heavyweight champion for the second time in his career.
“It was a war. We came through the sticky moments. Thank you, Fabio, for that,” said Dubois, who was previously IBF champion after the belt was vacated by Oleksandr Usyk in 2024, with the Ukrainian winning it back in July 2025.
“What a great fight. What a great battle, man”.
The win was Dubois’s 23rd as a professional in 26 fights, while Wardley now has a 20-1-1 record.
Veteran promoter Frank Warren, who manages both men, said it was the best heavyweight fight he had ever put on and confirmed there was a rematch clause in the contract.
For some viewers, however, it was also an uncomfortable watch that could have been stopped earlier.
The 31-year-old Wardley, who was promoted to WBO champion last November after Usyk vacated the title, was making his first defence and showed immense heart as he took a tremendous beating yet refused to capitulate.
He had his opponent on the floor, a blow Dubois, 28, later dismissed as a ‘flash knockdown’, almost with the opening bell still sounding.
Dubois was back on one knee in round three but came close to a stoppage in the sixth with the reigning champion bleeding heavily and on the ropes.
The Londoner continued to land blow after blow on Wardley, who wobbled but refused to give up.
His corner inspected the facial wounds after the eighth, and doctors and the referee took a look in rounds nine and 10, but still the fight continued, with Wardley increasingly struggling to stay on his feet and fighting on instinct.
“You witnessed something special tonight,” Warren told the BBC. “Two men baring their hearts and souls in the ring gave everything, didn’t leave one bit outside the ring.
“They were getting hit with bombs that would take people out, and they stood it.”
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
Boxing
Usyk backs Joshua to beat Fury ahead of heavyweight showdown

World heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk has backed Anthony Joshua to defeat Tyson Fury in their long‑anticipated clash later this year and has been helping him with his game plan.
Usyk, who holds the IBF, WBA and WBC belts, has been working with former opponent Joshua in recent months and said he has been impressed by the Briton’s development.
He added that 36-year-old Joshua deserves to beat compatriot and fellow ex-champion Fury, 37, after changing his approach.
“Fury is an unbelievable fighter, and Fury is a very dangerous guy, but I look at how Anthony works and how he has changed,” Usyk told the BBC.
“I like Fury, he is my greedy belly’s best friend, he’s an amazing fighter, but I want Anthony to win – he deserves it.”
Joshua, a former two‑time world heavyweight champion, is scheduled to return to the ring against Kristian Prenga in Riyadh on July 25. The bout will be his first since a car accident last December in which two close friends were killed.
Usyk said his recent work with Joshua has focused on technical and mental preparation.
“We speak about strategy, boxing skills and psychology. We speak about fights, our fights, and I say ‘champ, come on, don’t stop’,” he said.
The Ukrainian is set to defend his world titles against Dutch kickboxer Rico Verhoeven on May 23 in Egypt.
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
Boxing
Joshua to make comeback fight in Riyadh in July before facing Fury

- Summary
- *Joshua to face Kristian Prenga in Riyadh after car accident hiatus
- *Fight marks start of Joshua’s multi-fight deal in Saudi Arabia, announced by Turki Alalshikh
- *Promoter Hearn says Joshua vs Fury is signed for later in the year
Former world heavyweight boxing champions Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury have signed up for a long-awaited clash later this year, promoter Eddie Hearn said on Monday.
“Signed, sealed, delivered! AJ v Fury is on!,” Hearn posted on Instagram.
The announcement came after confirmation that Joshua will return to the ring against Kristian Prenga in Riyadh on July 25 in the Briton’s first fight since he was in a car accident last December that killed two close friends.
U.S.-based Albanian Prenga, 35, is a former kickboxer with a ring record of 20 wins and one defeat since he turned professional in 2016.
The fight, billed as “The Comeback”, was announced by Saudi Arabia’s General Entertainment Authority chairman Turki Alalshikh and will be broadcast live worldwide on DAZN.
Turki also posted on X a message “to my friends in Great Britain – it’s happening. It’s signed” while his Ring Magazine said the fight would happen in Q4 2026 on Netflix.
SIXTH-ROUND KNOCKOUT
Joshua, 36, has a record of 28 wins and four losses with his most recent fight a sixth-round knockout of American Jake Paul on December 19 in Miami.
“It’s no secret I’ve taken some time to consolidate and rebuild to be ready for stepping back into the ring, and today is the next step on that journey,” said Joshua.
“I’m delighted to have agreed a multi-fight deal starting with July 25th in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I’m looking forward to competing and picking up where I left off. The landlord will collect his rent. That is certain.”
Hearn told Sky Sports television he wanted a “tune-up bout” in July before facing Fury potentially in November.
“July and November are the two dates that have been presented to us now and we expect to move forward,” he said. “Fury has just had his tune-up fight with 12 really vital rounds to get him sharp for the next one and I expect us to do the same.”
Fury called for a showdown with Joshua after he outclassed Russia’s Arslanbek Makhmudov on April 11.
“Next, I want to give you the fight you’ve all been waiting for. I want you AJ, Anthony Joshua, let’s give the fight fans what they want, the Battle of Britain,” he said then.
-Reuters
Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
World Cup7 days agoFIFA Plans Three Opening Ceremonies in All Host Nations for 2026 World Cup
-
World Cup6 days agoUnited States Unveils Hollywood-Style FIFA World Cup 2026 Opening Ceremony
-
World Cup6 days agoMexico president wavers on plan to cut school year by 40 days for the World Cup
-
World Cup1 week agoBurna Boy Joins Shakira for Official 2026 World Cup Song ‘Dai Dai’
-
World Cup2 days agoUS drops bond requirement for World Cup ticket holders
-
Nigerian Football3 days agoNPFL at 36: Why Nigeria’s League Top Scorers Rarely Become Super Eagles Legends
-
Nigerian Football3 days agoNPFL at 36: From Long Debate to Nigeria’s Football Showpiece
-
World Cup2 days agoMagic Johnson Leads Campaign to Showcase Los Angeles Ahead of World Cup