Connect with us

Boxing

Lennox Lewis trains Francis Ngannou against Tyson Fury

Published

on

Francis Ngannou

In preparation for his October 28  mega- buck boxing superfight  against Tyson Fury,  former UFC heavyweight champion Francis Ngannou may undergo special training  under the tutelage of  former heavyweight boxer,  Lennox Lewis.

 

Ngannou had earlier disclosed   the possibility of getting some elite level pros to help him step up his game.

 

“I think getting some advice or some training from  somebody like Lennox Lewis  could be good. I love his boxing style, very basic but very sharp and efficient. One-two [punches], all that stuff, classic but very good.”

Advertisement

 

Unperturbed by Fury’s threat ahead of the clash, Ngannou said “He better just get ready for October 28th, because if he’s not taking this serious, I think he might get surprised and get some regret for his life. I’m coming for all, this is my moment.”

 

Expressing his eagerness to help Ngannou with a few boxing tips, Lennox Lewis said: “When I talked to Francis Ngannou a couple of months ago about his boxing training, I advised him on the importance of developing a really good jab.

“I am happy to support Francis and his team in their preparations for the upcoming fight with Tyson Fury in October. I am currently in talks with Team Ngannou and I am happy to give boxing advice alongside, my old friend. Mike Tyson”.

Advertisement

Ngannou recently left the UFC where he was the  heavyweight champion to enter the free agent market because of his  interest in chasing boxing superfights with the likes of Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury.

Eventually, the Cameroonian-born Frenchman landed on a massive contract with the PFL, one that would guarantee him a big payday for future MMA bouts, while also leaving him free to pursue his boxing goals. A few months later, news broke that he had secured the kind of superfight he’d been looking for, an October bout against WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Boxing

Dubois promises to put an end to Anthony Joshua era

Published

on

It promises a tough time for Anthony Joshua if the words of Daniel Dubois are anything to go by, as both will clash in September.

“I’m aiming to be the best. AJ (Joshua) has been the King for a long time but on the night I need to be the ‘King slayer’. That’s the goal, the mission I have,” Dubois said at the news conference on Wednesday.

“I’m ready to let my fists do the talking. I’m 100% ready to go and to train like a beast.”

Dubois has a 21-2 record with 20 knockouts while 34-year-old Joshua’s record is 28-3, including 25 knockouts.

Usyk beat two-times heavyweight champion Joshua twice – first in 2021 to seize the WBA, WBO, IBF and IBO belts and again in 2022 when he defended the belts – but the Briton has won his last four fights.

Advertisement

“I went out to watch his last fight… Dubois has been on my mind for a while and he will be for the next 12 weeks,” Joshua said.

“Whoever was going to be there, I was ready to fight in September. It just happened to be him.”

When questioned about the age difference, Joshua said: “It don’t matter, we’re in peak condition. Age is just a number.”

Usyk had knocked out Dubois in nine rounds last year in a bout overshadowed by a low blow controversy when the Ukrainian went down gasping for breath after he was hit on the band of his shorts.

“Anthony and Daniel, I know the IBF title is important to you. It is my present to you on September 21,” Usyk said on X, opens new tab when he vacated the belt.

Advertisement

The winner of the bout between Joshua and Dubois could then get a crack at the undisputed champion after Usyk and Fury have their rematch.

The undercard will have five bouts, including two for the IBF super-featherweight title and the WBO interim light-heavyweight title.

“This is probably the most stacked card in British boxing history, certainly in my lifetime, headlined by Daniel Dubois and Anthony Joshua,” Queensberry promoter Frank Warren said.

“Where better to do it at the national stadium, Wembley?”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Boxing

Usyk vacates IBF heavyweight title

Published

on

Oleksandr Usyk has vacated the International Boxing Federation (IBF) heavyweight belt, the Ukrainian said on Tuesday, five weeks after becoming the undisputed heavyweight champion.

The announcement comes after Usyk’s mandatory IBF title defence against challenger Croatian Filip Hrgovic was left pending and Daniel Dubois became the new interim IBF heavyweight champion by beating Hrgovic earlier this month.

The 37-year-old Usyk requested not to be stripped of his IBF belt to contest the undisputed champion title when he takes on Fury in their December rematch, where only the WBC, WBO and WBA titles will now be on the line.

The heavyweight IBF title, which Usyk held since 2021, will be up for grabs when Anthony Joshua takes on Dubois in September at Wembley Stadium.

“Anthony and Daniel, I know the IBF title is important to you. It is my present to you on 21 September,” Usyk said in a video message on X.

Advertisement

Last month Usyk became the first undisputed heavyweight champion since 2000 as he claimed the WBC title by beating Tyson Fury by a split decision in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia.

Usyk said he may return to the cruiserweight division following his rematch with Fury.

-Reuters

Continue Reading

Boxing

Anthony Joshua set to become world champion again

Published

on

Nigerian-born British boxer, Anthony Joshua may reclaim one of his lost heavyweight titles in September. Holder of one of the belts, Oleksandr Usyk of Ukrain has vacated the International Boxing Federation (IBF).

Joshua was a former holder of the belt, which he won in February 2016 after defeating previous holder, Charles Martin.

Joshua lost the belt along with two others in his bout with Oleksandr Usyk.  The Ukrainian has now vacated that title and so, the September bout of Daniel Dubois and Anthony Joshua in September at Wembley Stadium will fill the vacant position.

Continue Reading

Most Viewed