SAUDI PRO LEAGUE
Former Man United stars reunite at Al-Nassr as Telles team up with Ronaldo
Brazilian full back Alex Telles has left Manchester United to join Saudi Pro League side Al-Nassr on a contract until 2025, the two clubs announced on Sunday.
The 30-year-old, who won the Europa League last season while on loan at Sevilla, will be reunited with former United team mate Cristiano Ronaldo at his new club.
Financial details were not disclosed although media reports suggested United would receive around 6 million pounds ($7.71 million) for the deal.
“A new adventure beckons for @AT13Oficial. Thank you for everything and good luck, Alex,” United posted on Twitter.
Al-Nassr released a photograph of the defender holding their yellow jersey and a video in which Ronaldo could be seen smiling in the background.
The Saudi Pro League has attracted many players since Ronaldo joined Al-Nassr last December in a mega deal.
Al-Nassr, who finished second in the league last season, were banned by FIFA earlier this month from registering new players due to outstanding debts.
According to reports, the outstanding debts were related to the transfer of Nigerian attacker Ahmed Musa, who moved to Al-Nassr from English side Leicester City in 2018.
In a ruling in October 2021, FIFA said Al-Nassr still had to pay a sum of 460,000 euros ($513,544) to Leicester for the signing of Musa, who played 62 games for the Saudi Arabian club in all competitions, scoring 14 goals, before leaving in 2020.
-Reuters
SAUDI PRO LEAGUE
Ronaldo reaches deal with Saudi club Al Nassr to extend contract

Portuguese football star Cristiano Ronaldo has reached an agreement with Al Nassr to extend his contract by another year until June 2026, an official with the Saudi club has told AFP.
The official said the sides have agreed on the renewable extension of Ronaldo’s contract, “but it has not been signed yet. An announcement will be made over the coming days”.
Ronaldo turned 40 last week with his current contract due to end in June 2025.
The former Manchester United, Real Madrid and Juventus star joined Al Nassr in January 2023 and has since scored 82 goals in 90 matches.
In August, Ronaldo said he would stay with Al Nassr through the end of his professional career, which may be “soon or in two or three years”.
“But it’ll most likely happen with Al Nassr, in the team that makes me happy… and where I feel good.”
The Portuguese great appeared to trade an end-of-career payday for football obscurity when he moved to Riyadh’s Al Nassr two years ago in a deal said to be worth $250 million.
But his influence became clear when he was followed by a parade of ageing superstars to the big-spending Saudi Pro League.
Saudi Arabia was then awarded the 2034 World Cup in December, the crowning glory for the oil-rich kingdom’s strategy of revamping its image through sports, tourism and culture.
When Ronaldo launched his YouTube channel in August, he gained one million subscribers in just 90 minutes and 20 million within 24 hours. He currently has 73.5 million.
Although World Cup glory has probably eluded him, unlike his Argentine rival Lionel Messi, records still dangle in front of the five-time Ballon d’Or and Champions League winner.
Despite his prodigious form as he closes in on 1,000 professional goals in official matches, Ronaldo is yet to win a Saudi or continental trophy with Al Nassr, with the Arab Club Champions Cup of 2023 his only triumph with the club.
-AFP
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
SAUDI PRO LEAGUE
Ahmed Musa named among Saudi Pro League’s 10 biggest transfers before Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo’s move to Al Nassr in January 2023 signalled a sea change in the transfer market.
From Karim Benzema to Neymar to N’Golo Kante and more, the top 30 transfers in the entire history of Saudi Arabian football have taken place in the two years since Ronaldo left Manchester United.
But what did the Saudi Pro League look like before the sudden influx of superstars from Europe? We’ve checked back on the Saudi Pro League’s 10 most expensive transfers prior to Ronaldo and checked in on where they’re at today.
10. Yahya Al-Shehri – €9.4million – Al-Nassr
This one is actually an internal transfer.
Al-Shehri was capped 75 times by Saudi Arabia between 2009 and 2019 and has spent almost his entire career in his home country, save for a brief loan spell at La Liga side Leganes where he made a grand total of zero appearances.
A product of Al-Ettifaq’s academy, he’d notched over a hundred appearances for his boyhood club before his big-money move to Riyadh’s Al-Nassr in 2013.
He spent eight years at Al-Nassr and won three league titles there. Nowadays he’s turning out for Al-Riyadh alongside former Championship stalwart Yoann Barbet.
9. Nicolae Stanciu – €10million – Al-Ahli
After a reported falling out with Slavia Prague manager Zdenek Scasny, Al-Ahli swooped to sign the Romania international in January 2019.
But he lasted just half a season out in Saudi Arabia before returning to Slavia Prague, by which point his old boss had conveniently departed. Financial issues were reportedly behind Al-Ahli allowing their star asset to leave so soon.
The winger spent another three seasons in the Czech capital before moving on to Chinese Super League outfit Wuhan Three Towns. He’s now back in Saudi Arabia, turning out for a Damac side coached by his Romanian compatriot Cosmin Contra.
8. Aleksandar Prijovic – €10million – Al-Ittihad
Big Mitro wasn’t the first expensive Serbian called Aleksandar to rock up in the Saudi Pro League.
You might (not) remember Prijovic struggling for opportunities for Parma, Derby County, Yeovil and Northampton back in the latter half of the noughties.
The striker enjoyed a nomadic career since those early days, with short-lived stints in Switzerland, Sweden, Turkey, Poland and Greece before his €10million move to Al-Ittihad in 2019.
He notched 15 goals in 49 Saudi Pro League appearances and moved on to Australian A-League side Western United FC in 2021.
Prijovic, 34, is presumably now retired, having not had a club since he was released by Western United back in 2023.
7. Igor Coronado – €10.1million – Al-Ittihad
A Brazilian playmaker that developed his skills in MK Dons’ academy as a teenager. Yes, really.
Coronado never quite made the grade in Milton Keynes but brushed himself and kicked on with humble beginnings at non-league Banbury United in Oxfordshire. From there he went on to play in Malta with Floriana and fallen giants Palermo in Serie B.
In subsequent years, he won league titles in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia, having moved from Sharjah to Al-Ittihad in 2021.
Nowadays he’s back in Brazil with Corinthians. Not a bad post-script for a kid who couldn’t get a game at MK Dons.
6. Djaniny – €10.2million – Al-Ahli
A pretty cool story, this one.
Djaniny was born and raised in Santa Cruz, Cape Verde and moved to Portugal at the age of 18 to study renewable energy.
The forward soon found an amateur club and demonstrated enough talent to get picked up by Uniao Leiria (once managed by Jose Mourinho) and Benfica’s reserve team. He even made his international debut in 2012 and went on to play 35 times for Cape Verde.
After peaking at Mexican outfit Santos Laguna, where he spent four years, Al-Ahli sanctioned a big-money move in 2018. He later spent three years with Trabzonspor, with whom he won a Turkish Super Lig title in 2021-22, and has since returned to Saudi Arabia with Al Fateh.
5. Souza – €10.2million – Al-Ahli
Before genuine footballing royalty started turning up in the Saudi Pro League over the past couple of years, it was home to a number of Brazilians you’ve likely never heard of.
Josef de Souza Dias belongs in that category, although he earned three caps for Brazil in the immediate wake of their 2014 World Cup heartbreak and represented clubs including Porto, Fenerbahce and Besiktas.
His stint in the Saudi Pro League actually came between his stints with the two big Istanbul rivals between the years of 2018 and 2020.
After a short-lived spell with a third Istanbul club – Basaksehir – the centre-back returned to his boyhood club Vasco da Gama last year.
4. Giuliano – €10.5million – Al-Nassr
Another Brazilian, attacking midfielder Giuliano (14 caps for the Selecao) joined Al-Nassr in 2018 after a career on the fringes of the European mainstream – Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, Zenit Saint Petersburg and Fenerbahce among the stops.
Like Souza, he left Saudi for Istanbul Basaksehir, before going on to play over a hundred times for Corinthians.
The 34-year-old is now a free agent, having just left newly promoted Santos to make room for another ex Saudi Pro League old boy.
3. Pity Martinez – €16million – Al-Nassr
The attacking midfielder has tended to win silverware wherever he’s been, from a Copa Argentina with Huracan to a glut of trophies across two stints with River Plate and a U.S. Open Cup with Atlanta United.
But a solitary Saudi Super Cup is a relatively underwhelming return from his two-and-a-half years at Al Nassr, given the sizeable fee they paid Atlanta for his signature.
Now he’s back at River Plate, once again working under former Al-Ittihad coach Marcelo Gallardo, who got the best out of him the first time around at the Monumental.
2. Ahmed Musa – €16.5million – Al-Nassr
There’s no greater statement that things have changed in the Saudi Pro League that notorious Leicester City flop Musa was once its record signing.
At the time of writing, the €16.5million fee that Al-Nassr paid the Foxes back in 2018 only makes him the league’s 44th most expensive signing.
The former Nigeria stalwart is still only 32 years of age but he’s fallen off the footballing map in recent years. He left Al-Nassr in 2020 and is now into his third stint with Nigerian side Kano Pillars.
1. Matheus Pereira – €18million – Al-Hilal
One of the most talented players to grace the Championship in recent years, Pereira played a talismanic role in West Brom’s promotion to the Premier League in 2019-20 and was just about the only good thing about them in their miserable 2020-21 relegation campaign.
Given how well he’d done in the top flight for an otherwise limited side, the Brazilian playmaker had no shortage of suitors when the Baggies returned to the Championship.
Rather than move to another English or European side, Pereira made the surprising decision to sign for Al-Hilal – back then a bolt out of the blue.
His time with the club was short and sweet, yielding a Saudi Pro League title, a Saudi Super Cup and the Asian Champions League during his one and only full season out there.
After a loan away to UAE side Al Wahda, Pereira signed for Cruzeiro on a permanent deal in 2023 and remains with the Brazilian club today.
-Planet Football
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
SAUDI PRO LEAGUE
Neymar returns to Al-Hilal training after injury layoff

Neymar took part in team training and will join the Al-Hilal squad for their Asian Champions League trip to UAE Pro League club Al-Ain after recovering from a serious knee injury, the Saudi Pro League club said.
The 32-year-old Brazil forward has not played since sustaining the injury during his nation’s CONMEBOL World Cup qualifier against Uruguay in October last year.
He suffered an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury and underwent surgery in November.
Having moved to Saudi Arabia from French champions Paris St Germain for a reported fee of around 90 million euros ($97.8 million) in August last year, Neymar had only played five games before his layoff as he was struggling with muscle injuries.
The former Barcelona forward, who is Brazil’s leading scorer, missed their 2024 Copa America campaign in the United States, where they suffered a second straight quarter-final exit from a major tournament after losing to Croatia on penalties at the 2022 World Cup.
“Al-Hilal is happy to announce that Neymar will join the squad for the away trip to Al-Ain. He’s back,” the club posted on social media platform X.
“Neymar participated in team training after completing his recovery program,” Al-Hilal said in another post.
They play Al-Ain at the Hazza bin Zayed Stadium on Monday.
-Reuters
-
OBITUARY4 days ago
A burden of debts pushed dead Nigerian boxer, Segun Olanrewaju, to the fatal fight
-
World Cup1 week ago
Fifth-placed Lesotho protests South Africa’s fielding of ineligible players
-
World Cup1 week ago
World Cup 2026 is a ‘Mission Impossible’ for Super Eagles
-
ESSPORT1 week ago
Millionaire emerges from the Bet9ja UCL jackpot campaign
-
OBITUARY5 days ago
Nigerian Boxer Segun Olanrewaju Dies in Ghana Match
-
U-17 AFCON5 days ago
CAF Under-17 Africa Cup of Nations kicks off with Morocco-Uganda opener
-
Boxing4 days ago
Tale of five Nigerian boxers who tragically died from ring injuries
-
AFCON1 week ago
Kenyan Federation opens investigation into suspected match-fixing in AFCON 2025 Qualifiers