Connect with us

WOMEN'S FOOTBALL

Nigeria pay gripes remain but players focused on World Cup says Waldrum

blank

Published

on

Women's World Cup - Round of 16 - Germany v Nigeria - Stade des Alpes, Grenoble, France - June 22, 2019 Nigeria players during the warm up before the match REUTERS/Emmanuel Foudrot/File Photo

Nigeria head into the Women’s World Cup with pay disputes still festering but players have set aside their grievances to focus on their opener against Canada on Friday, coach Randy Waldrum said.

The ‘Super Falcons’ have won their last three friendlies against New Zealand, Haiti and Costa Rica but off the pitch they have been at loggerheads with the Nigerian football association over pay and conditions.

In a podcast earlier this month, American Waldrum said he was owed seven months’ wages and some of his players had not been paid in two years.

Nigerian media reported the team were considering boycotting matches at the World Cup in Australia and New Zealand but Waldrum said none of his players were opting out of selection for Canada in Melbourne on Friday.

“We’ll be there. All of that transpired before we came and I think the team, once we all arrived here, have just focused on Canada,” the American told Reuters after training on Wednesday.

Advertisement

“We met about it the first night we arrived and at that point we all just agreed not to continue to discuss it, not let it be out there and that we’re here to do a job.

“Let’s focus on that job and let the appropriate people handle it.”

Waldrum declined to provide details on his players’ complaints but was not confident they would be resolved by the end of the July 20-Aug. 20 tournament.

“I really don’t know. Coming from the U.S. and working with the federation, I found very quickly things happen at a very different pace than what you may be used to or what we may be used to in our culture,” he said.

The Nigeria Football Federation did not provide immediate comment.

Advertisement

Texan Waldrum, a former coach of U.S. team Houston Dash, praised his players for keeping their minds on the job as they look to reach the knockout rounds from one of the toughest groups, which includes hosts Australia and debutants Ireland.

“I’ve been pleased about it because this very easily could be weighing and be a burden on the team, but I haven’t seen that they’ve allowed that to happen,” he added.

“They’ve handled everything very professionally.

“I don’t think you’ll get any of the players commenting at all during the tournament about it.”

Pay complaints have overshadowed the leadup to the World Cup, with Olympic champions Canada and Euro 2022 holders England among a raft of teams wanting more from their federations.

Advertisement

Other sides have lamented a lack of resources to adequately prepare, including Jamaica, whose players resorted to crowdfunding to help cover costs.

Waldrum said Nigeria, 11-times Women’s Africa Cup of Nations champions, had the means to make the World Cup’s knockout phase but home fans’ expectations that they should be at the top of women’s football were unrealistic.

“At some point there has got to become a realisation about all the things we do day-to-day with how the federation treats the players and how they provide resources for proper training, travel and all those issues,” he said.

“It doesn’t mean that Nigeria or any of the African nations at this World cup can’t achieve a lot and make a deep run.

“But if you want to be a top team year-in, year-out, you’ve obviously got to be willing to provide more resources.”

Advertisement

-Reuters

 

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

WOMEN'S FOOTBALL

Nigeria’s Falconets Await Opponents in Friday’s FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Draw

blank

Published

on

blank

Nigeria’s Falconets will discover their opponents for the 2026 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup when the official draw is conducted in Łódź, Poland, on May 15, as preparations intensify for another campaign on the global stage.

The draw ceremony, confirmed by football’s world governing body, FIFA, will take place in one of the tournament’s host cities and will be broadcast live worldwide on FIFA+, YouTube and TikTok.

Nigeria, one of the most successful nations in the history of the competition, heads into the draw with renewed ambition after securing qualification for the tournament, which will run from September 5 to 27 across the Polish cities of Bielsko-Biała, Katowice, Łódź and Sosnowiec.

The Falconets remain one of Africa’s strongest representatives at the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, having reached the final twice in the competition’s history. The Nigerian side will now await the outcome of the draw to know their group-stage opponents among the 24 qualified teams expected to battle for the title.

Former Polish international and current women’s national team coach Nina Patalon and French football legend Laura Georges will participate in the ceremony, underscoring the growing profile of women’s football globally.

Advertisement

Speaking ahead of the event, Patalon described the draw as a defining moment for both participating teams and supporters.

“The draw always brings a special sense of excitement, as it is the moment when the competition truly starts to feel real for both the teams and the fans,” she said.

She also highlighted the importance of hosting the tournament in Poland, noting that it could inspire more young girls to embrace football and further accelerate the development of the women’s game in the country.

The 12th edition of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup is expected to showcase some of the brightest emerging talents in women’s football, with Nigeria’s Falconets aiming to make another strong impression on the world stage

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement

Continue Reading

WOMEN'S FOOTBALL

Ghana Join Nigeria in Sealing Places at FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Poland

blank

Published

on

blank

Alongside the USA and Brazil, Nigeria will head to Poland as one of only three nations to have appeared at every edition of the FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.

As of Saturday night, only Nigeria and Nigeria women’s national under-20 football team and Ghana women’s national under-20 football team have secured qualification for the 2026 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Poland after overcoming Malawi and Uganda, respectively, in the final round of African qualifiers.

Nigeria maintained their remarkable record of appearing at every edition of the global tournament, joining the United States and Brazil as the only nations to achieve the feat.

The Falconets were pushed to the limit by Malawi in Lilongwe after carrying a 2-0 advantage from the first leg in Ikenne. Malawi made a dream start when Faith Chinzimu scored from a set-piece in the eighth minute to ignite hopes of a comeback.

Nigeria struggled to reproduce the dominance they displayed at home, and the tie swung dramatically in the hosts’ favour in the 57th minute when Chinzimu completed her brace after breaking down the left flank before calmly finishing past the Nigerian goalkeeper.

Advertisement

At 2-0 on the day, the aggregate score was level, and the Falconets were suddenly under severe pressure. However, Malawi captain Leticia Chinyamula made a costly error that allowed substitute Oscar Precious to seize possession, drive into the penalty area and fire home the decisive goal for Nigeria.

The strike restored Nigeria’s aggregate lead and effectively ended Malawi’s hopes, as the Falconets held on to secure passage to Poland despite the 2-1 defeat on the day.

Coach Moses Aduku’s side will now prepare for another appearance at the world finals, where Nigeria remain one of the competition’s most consistent teams.

Ghana also survived a tense encounter to qualify for their eighth consecutive FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup.

The Black Princesses travelled to Kampala holding a narrow 2-1 first-leg advantage over Uganda. Still, the hosts drew level on aggregate through a moment of brilliance from Sylvia Kabene, whose powerful strike from the left wing flew into the top corner beyond goalkeeper Belinda Maku.

Advertisement

Combined with Agnes Nabukenya’s away goal in the first leg, Uganda briefly looked set to progress.

But Ghana responded strongly after the break despite being reduced to 10 players. Captain Linda Owusu Ansah proved the hero, curling a superb set-piece from near the corner flag directly into the far top corner to send the Black Princesses through.

While Nigeria will continue their ever-present run at the tournament, Ghana will be hoping to advance beyond the group stage for the first time in their history when the competition kicks off in September.

The remaining African qualification spots will be decided on Sunday when Tanzania face Cameroon, and Benin take on Côte d’Ivoire in the final return-leg matches.

The FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Poland 2026 will take place from September 5 to 27 across four host cities

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

WOMEN'S FOOTBALL

Nigeria’s Falconets Target Record-Extending World Cup Qualification in Malawi

blank

Published

on

blank
The Falconets at a training session in Lilongwe on Thursday.

Nigeria’s U-20 girls, the Falconets, are on the verge of extending their remarkable record of appearing at every edition of the FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup since the competition began in 2002.

The Falconets will face Malawi on Saturday at the Bingu National Stadium in the second leg of the final qualifying round for the Poland 2026 tournament, carrying a 2-0 advantage from the first leg played in Ikenne-Remo last weekend.

Nigeria have featured at every edition of the competition, beginning with the inaugural tournament in Canada in 2002 when it was still a U-19 championship. The Falconets also competed in Thailand 2004 before the tournament was upgraded to the U-20 level ahead of the 2006 finals in Russia.

Since then, the Nigerian girls have remained ever-present at the global championship, appearing in Chile 2008, Germany 2010, Japan 2012, Canada 2014, Papua New Guinea 2016, France 2018, Costa Rica 2022 and Colombia 2024.

The Falconets’ best performances came when they finished runners-up at Germany 2010 and Canada 2014, while they reached the semi-finals in Japan 2012.

Advertisement

Head coach Moses Aduku expressed confidence ahead of Saturday’s decisive clash.

“We are here to play and to win. The players understand the importance of this match, and we are fully prepared mentally, tactically, and physically for the challenge ahead,” Aduku said during Friday’s pre-match press conference.

Nigeria swept past Rwanda and Senegal in earlier qualifying rounds and are now aiming to complete the job against Malawi to seal another World Cup appearance.

Kick-off for Saturday’s encounter is scheduled for 3:00 pm Malawi time (2:00 pm Nigeria time).

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Most Viewed