Connect with us

Governing Bodies

England football legend, Lineker gets BBC red card as he’s yanked off air!

blank

Published

on

Gary Lineker

Former England soccer captain Gary Lineker has been taken off air by the BBC after his comments on Britain’s migration policy sparked a furious row between the government and the corporation’s highest paid presenter.

Lineker was told there has to be an agreed position on his use of social media before he can return, the BBC said on Friday, with Director General Tim Davie saying it had taken a “proportionate action”.

The row overshadowed a migration deal struck between British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and French President Emmanuel Macron, with the BBC accused of bowing to political pressure.

“Gary Lineker off air is an assault on free speech in the face of political pressure,” the opposition Labour party said, calling for the BBC to re-think its decision.

Scotland’s First Minister Nicola Sturgeon called the BBC’s move “indefensible”.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport said: “Individual cases are a matter for the BBC.”

Advertisement

NEW LAW

On Tuesday, Britain announced details of a new law which would see migrants arriving in small boats across the Channel prevented from claiming asylum and deported either back to their homeland or to so-called safe third countries.

It drew criticism from opposition parties, charities and the U.N.’s refugee agency for its impact on genuine refugees.

Lineker, who has previously hosted refugees in his home, retweeted a post featuring a video of interior minister Suella Braverman talking about the law, with the comment “Good heavens, this is beyond awful”.

Challenged by a respondent, he said: “This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?”

Lineker faced a backlash to his comments, which were criticised by Sunak’s spokeswoman as “not acceptable”, but said he would “continue to try and speak up for those poor souls that have no voice”.

Advertisement

The BBC said after talks with Lineker and his team that it had decided he would step back from presenting its flagship Match of the Day (MOTD) soccer highlights programme “until we’ve got an agreed and clear position on his use of social media”.

The Bectu union, which represents thousands of BBC workers, said the corporation’s move was “deeply concerning”.

After four of the show’s regular pundits, former England players Ian Wright, Alan Shearer, Jermaine Jenas and Micah Richards said they did not wish to appear on the programme without Lineker, the BBC said Saturday’s edition would “focus on match action without studio presentation or punditry.”

MOTD commentator Steve Wilson later tweeted that the show’s commentators had also pulled out from Saturday’s broadcast, leaving BBC management reliant on World Feed commentary.

BREACH OF GUIDELINES

Lineker has hosted MOTD for over 20 years and the charismatic 62-year-old has never been afraid to voice his opinions about political issues.

Advertisement

But the BBC said it considered his recent social media activity to be a breach of its guidelines.

“We have never said that Gary should be an opinion free zone, or that he can’t have a view on issues that matter to him, but we have said that he should keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies,” it added.

The BBC, funded by what is in effect a 159 pounds ($192)annual “license fee” tax on all television-watching households, has a central presence in British cultural life. It says it is committed to being politically impartial.

Lineker, who played for clubs including his home town Leicester City, Everton, Tottenham Hotspur and Barcelona, is the BBC’s highest paid personality, earning more than 1.3 million pounds in 2021/22. He is yet to comment on his suspension.

Last year the BBC’s complaints unit ruled Lineker had failed to meet editorial standards on impartiality when he sent a tweet asking whether the governing Conservative Party would give back money from Russian donors.

Advertisement

BBC Chair Richard Sharp is under pressure for failing to declare his involvement in facilitating a loan for former Prime Minister Boris Johnson shortly before he was appointed to the role. His appointment, made on the recommendation of the government, is now being reviewed by Britain’s public appointments watchdog.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Governing Bodies

Nigeria To Host CAF General Assembly For Third Time, CAF Awards For Seventh

blank

Published

on

blank
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu (second right) exchanges greetings with CAF President Patrice Motsepe as Foreign Affairs Minister Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu (right), NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau (third left), former NFF President Amaju Pinnick (second left) and CAF Acting General Secretary Samson Adamu (left) look on.

By Kunle Solaja.

Nigeria is set to host the 48th Ordinary General Assembly of the Confederation of African Football (CAF), marking the third time the country will stage the continent’s top football gathering.

The development was confirmed in a statement issued by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF), which disclosed that President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, on the sidelines of the ongoing Africa Forward Summit in Nairobi, Kenya, approved Nigeria’s proposal to host the event.

The approval followed a meeting between President Tinubu and CAF President Patrice Motsepe, attended by Nigeria’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, NFF President Ibrahim Musa Gusau, former NFF President and Special Adviser to the CAF President Amaju Melvin Pinnick, as well as CAF Acting General Secretary Samson Adamu.

Sports Villages Square affirms that Nigeria previously hosted the CAF Congress at the National Theatre in Lagos in March 1980 and again in February 2009, when the late CAF President Issa Hayatou secured another four-year term in office.

Advertisement

In addition to this year’s 48th Ordinary General Assembly, scheduled for October, Nigeria also secured the hosting rights of the CAF Awards ceremony. The annual awards gala, which celebrates Africa’s top football performers, has been staged in Morocco over the past three years.

Nigeria had earlier hosted the CAF Awards when telecom firm, Globacom, was the headline sponsor. This year’s event will be the seventh to be held in Nigeria after those of 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013, 2014 and 2016.

The CAF Ordinary General Assembly traditionally attracts key football stakeholders from across the continent, including presidents of CAF’s 54 member associations, representatives of the six zonal unions and senior football administrators.

The CAF Awards ceremony is regarded as one of African football’s flagship events, honouring outstanding players, coaches, clubs and officials in a glamorous setting that showcases the continent’s football excellence.

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

FIFA bans former Guyana football official Alves for five years over harassment

blank

Published

on

blank

FIFA’s independent Ethics Committee has banned former Guyana Football Federation (GFF) General Secretary Ian ​Alves from all football-related activities for ‌five years after finding he sexually harassed female staff members.

FIFA also fined Alves 20,000 Swiss francs ($22,000) after ​determining that he had breached provisions ​of the FIFA Code of Ethics relating ⁠to the protection of physical and ​mental integrity, abuse of position and general duties.

“FIFA ​has a strict stance against all forms of abuse in football,” the organisation said on Monday.

The decision ​followed a review of written statements from ​the victims, documents provided by the GFF, submissions from ‌Alves, ⁠and other evidence gathered during the investigation.

Alves stepped down from his position in 2024.

Advertisement

The ban came into force on Monday, when ​the terms of ​the ⁠decision were notified to Alves, and the full grounds for the ​ruling will be communicated within 60 ​days ⁠in accordance with the Code of Ethics, FIFA added.

The GFF did not immediately respond to ⁠a ​Reuters request for comment. Alves ​could not immediately be reached for comment.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

Infantino to seek fourth term as FIFA president

blank

Published

on

blank
The  76th FIFA Congress - Vancouver Convention Centre, Vancouver, Canada - April 30, 2026 FIFA President Gianni Infantino speaks during the congress as the FIFA World Cup Trophy is seen REUTERS/Jennifer Gauthier

FIFA President Gianni Infantino said on Thursday that he planned to seek re-election for a fourth term in a bid to ​continue to lead the governing body of world soccer.

Infantino ​confirmed he would run for the 2027–2031 term in ⁠the closing moments of the FIFA Congress in Vancouver, which ​comes less than two months before the start of the World ​Cup.

The election will be held on March 18 in Morocco, which is set to co-host the 2030 World Cup.

Infantino said he was “honoured ​and humbled” to have the chance to run for a ​fourth term.

The Italian-Swiss took office in 2016, replacing Sepp Blatter, and was re-elected ‌unopposed ⁠in 2019 and 2023.

Advertisement

Infantino has pushed for the expansion of FIFA competitions during his tenure, with this year’s World Cup in North America the first to feature 48 teams, while the ​women’s tournament in ​2023 has been ⁠expanded to 32 teams.

Infantino’s tenure has also drawn some criticism over issues such as high World ​Cup ticket prices and the decision to award ​the ⁠inaugural FIFA Peace Prize to U.S. President Donald Trump at the World Cup draw in December.

Earlier this month, the council of South ⁠American ​football’s governing body (CONMEBOL) said in a statement ​it would unanimously support the 56-year-old if he decided to seek another ​term.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Most Viewed