Connect with us

Governing Bodies

NOW, ITS A NEW YEAR NATIONAL SPORTS FESTIVAL

Published

on

For the first time ever, the National Sports Festival in Nigeria will hold during the New Year festivities as the Ministry of Sports has announced that the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19 has approved the sports fiesta to hold from 3 to 17 January in 2021.

It was originally slated to hold in March 2020 but force majeure occasioned by the global outbreak of the coronavirus made it to be postponed indefinitely. Then a December 2020 date was settled for. That was again cancelled for the new date now announced.

The new date is almost coinciding with the anniversary of the 2nd All Africa Games which Nigeria hosted from 3-18 January in 1973.

According to a press release signed by Gabriel T. Aduda, the Permanent Secretary of the ministry of sports, the new date was arrived at during a virtual a meeting on Thursday, convened by the sports minister, Sunday Dare.

At the meeting, the circumstances around the recent rescheduling of the sports fiesta, was reviewed.

The new date is to allow the Presidential Task Force, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Edo State Government and the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development to complete the necessary steps and processes, as assigned, to ensure a hitch free festival and deployment of rapid diagnostic test kits for over 11,000 athletes.

Advertisement

The virtual meeting had in attendance the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, Permanent Secretary Ministry of Youth and Sports Development,   PTF National Coordinator – Dr. Sani Aliyu, PTF’s Deputy National Incident Manager/ Head of Operations – Dr Assad Hassan, Representatives of NCDC, amongst others.  

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Governing Bodies

Ex-FIFA chief Blatter and Platini cleared in corruption case

Published

on

Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter arrives at the tribunal for the verdict on corruption charges against him in Muttenz, March 25, 2025. REUTERS/Stefan Wermuth

Former FIFA President Sepp Blatter and France soccer great Michel Platini were both cleared of corruption charges by a Swiss court on Tuesday, two and a half years after they were first acquitted of the offences.

The pair, once among the most powerful figures in global soccer, were cleared of fraud at the Extraordinary Appeals Chamber of the Swiss Criminal Court in the town of Muttenz, near Basel.

The hearing came about after Swiss federal prosecutors appealed against their 2022 acquittal at a lower court.

Both men had denied the charge which related to a 2 million Swiss franc ($2.26 million) payment Blatter authorised for Platini in 2011.

The court said there were doubts about the prosecution’s allegation the payment for Platini, a former captain and manager of the French national team, was fraudulent.

Advertisement

The 2022 indictment had accused Blatter and Platini of deceiving FIFA staff in 2010 and 2011 about an obligation for world soccer’s ruling body to pay Platini.

“They falsely claimed that FIFA owed Platini, or that Platini was entitled to, the sum of 2 million Swiss francs for advisory work. This deception was achieved through repeated untruthful claims made by both accused parties,” the indictment said.

But the court cleared the pair, saying their account of an oral agreement for the payment could not be ruled out.

Platini had argued that the payment had been partly deferred until 2011 because FIFA lacked the funds to pay him in full immediately.

The court said the pair had both been consistent in their accounts of the payment, which covered consultancy work carried out by Platini for Blatter between 1998 and 2002.

Advertisement

Platini’s experience as a top footballer and coach, explained the size of the payment, said the court, which followed the legal principle that in cases of doubt, favour the accused.

“It can not be assumed that the defendants acted with the intention of enriching themselves in the sense of the charged offences,” the court said.

The scandal, which emerged in 2015 when Platini was president of European soccer’s ruling body UEFA, ended his hopes of succeeding Blatter, who was forced out of FIFA over the affair.

Blatter and Platini were suspended from football in 2015 by FIFA for ethics breaches, originally for eight years, although their exclusions were later reduced.

Platini said he was relieved the case was over, and he had received messages of support from 10,000 people.

Advertisement

“The persecution of FIFA and some Swiss federal prosecutors for 10 years is now over,” Platini told reporters. “It is now totally over. And for me, today, my honour has returned and I am very happy.”

The 69-year-old said he thought the case had been intended to prevent him becoming FIFA president, but he was now too old to return to football.

The money, which had been confiscated and held by the Swiss authorities, can now be returned to him.

A frail-looking Blatter hugged his daughter Corinne after the judgement and said he was relieved with the decision.

“It is a great relief for me because it’s been going on for ten years. It’s like a sword of Damocles hanging over my head,” he told reporters.

Advertisement

“And now it’s over and I can breathe,” the 89-year-old said.

Prosecutors had sought a sentence of 20 months in jail, suspended for two years for both Blatter and Platini.

The Swiss attorney general’s office said it would review the written judgement, before deciding whether to appeal again to the Swiss Federal Court, the country’s highest legal authority.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

Ex-FIFA boss Blatter and France great Platini to learn fate in corruption case

Published

on

Former FIFA president Sepp Blatter and France soccer great Michel Platini will appear before a Swiss court on Tuesday to hear whether the case that finished their careers in football will end with their acquittals or convictions for corruption.

The pair, once among the most powerful figures in global soccer, will appear at the Extraordinary Appeals Chamber of the Swiss Criminal Court 2-1/2 years after they were acquitted of fraud.

Swiss federal prosecutors rejected the decision at a lower court in 2022, leading to the new hearing in the town of Muttenz, near Basel. Both men deny the charge.

The case relates to a 2 million Swiss franc ($2.27 million)payment Blatter authorised for Platini, a former captain and manager of the French national team, which was made in 2011.

Platini and Blatter said the payment was a consultancy fee paid to Platini for work between 1998 and 2002, which the Frenchman said had been partly deferred because FIFA lacked the funds to pay him in full immediately.

Advertisement

The affair, which emerged in 2015 when Platini was president of European soccer body UEFA, torpedoed his hopes of eventually succeeding Blatter at the top of FIFA.

Blatter and Platini were suspended from football in 2015 by FIFA for ethics breaches, originally for eight years. Although their exclusions were later reduced, the ban ended their careers as senior football administrators.

The 2022 indictment accused Blatter and Platini of deceiving FIFA staff in 2010 and 2011 about an obligation for world soccer’s ruling body to pay Platini.

“They falsely claimed that FIFA owed Platini, or that Platini was entitled to, the sum of 2 million Swiss francs for advisory work. This deception was achieved through repeated untruthful claims made by both accused parties,” the indictment said.

The pair were cleared in the 2022 case after a judge accepted that their account of a “gentlemen’s agreement” for the payment was credible, while there were serious doubts about the prosecution’s allegation the payment was fraudulent.

Advertisement

Blatter, who was FIFA president for 17 years until 2015, has insisted he had done nothing wrong. Now a frail 89-year-old, he told Reuters he was the victim of a witch-hunt.

Platini, a three-times European Footballer of the Year, insisted the money was related to backpay.

“There’s no corruption, there’s no swindling, there’s nothing at all,” he told reporters at the start of the appeal.

His lawyer Dominic Nellen said the case was designed to stop Platini becoming FIFA president.

“Platini was the most likely successor to Blatter in 2015, but someone wanted him out of the way,” Nellen said. “At every turn there seems to be an attempt to stop Platini becoming president of FIFA.”

Advertisement

Blatter was eventually replaced by Gianni Infantino, who had worked for Platini at UEFA. Infantino owed his candidacy to the fact that Europe’s preferred candidate, Platini, was banned from football.

Infantino has denied helping to bring about Platini’s downfall, and said he only stepped up when UEFA asked him after the allegations against Platini emerged.

Prosecutors want a sentence of 20 months in jail, suspended for two years for both Blatter and Platini, and to confiscate the money.

Both sides can appeal against the judgement to the Swiss Federal Court, the country’s highest legal authority.

-Reuters

Advertisement

Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Governing Bodies

CAF President congratulates history-making IOC President Ms Kirsty Coventry

Published

on

President of CAF, Dr Patrice Motsepe was one of the early dignitaries to congratulate the newly elected President of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Ms. Kirsty Coventry.

Coventry is the current Minister of Youth, Art, Sport and Recreation in Zimbabwe. She made history by becoming the first African and the first woman to be elected President of the IOC.

CAF President Dr Patrice Motsepe said: “On behalf of the CAF Member Associations who represent 54 African countries, we would like to express our heartfelt congratulations to Ms. Kirsty Coventry on her election as President of the IOC.  

“Her election as President of the IOC fills us with enormous pride and is also a recognition of her outstanding achievements and embodiment of the philosophy of Olympism. We wish her everything of the very best.”

Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Most Viewed