French Ligue 1
FRANCE’S LIGUE 1 COULD RESTART IN JUNE
France is considering restarting Ligue 1 on June 3 or June 17, with the latter date more likely, sports daily L’Equipe has reported, citing a document from league organisers (LFP).
Football in France was suspended indefinitely last month due to the COVID-19 pandemic. On Monday (April 13) French President Emmanuel Macron extended the lockdown in the country to May 11.
The L’Equipe report said that if the season resumed on June 17 teams would have to play every three days so the regular campaign could end by July 25, leaving time for relegation and promotion playoffs to be completed by Aug 2.
L’Equipe also said LFP members had voted last Friday to push back the start of next season by two weeks to Aug 23, but that the decision would have to be confirmed by France’s Football Federation (FFF).
The French Cup final between Paris St Germain and St Etienne has been scheduled for June 27, according to the document, while the League Cup final between PSG and Olympique Lyonnais had been pencilled in for July 11.
– Reuters
French Ligue 1
Hakimi now World’s Highest-Paid Fullback after PSG Contract Extension

After Morocco’s Achraf Hakimi signed a contract extension with French Ligue 1 side, Paris Saint-Germain, he became the World’s most-paid fullback.
The Moroccan international will earn a staggering €70 million in wages over his new five-year deal, cementing his status as football’s highest-paid defender.
He signed a contract extension with the French champions until 2029. The new deal adds three years to his previous contract, which was set to expire in 2026.
His net salary is increasing from €10 million to €14 million per season (€28 million gross).
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
French Ligue 1
PSG Leads Others in Race for Ademola Lookman

The 2024 Ballon d’Or nominee and Super Eagles winger, Ademola Lookman, is almost certain to leave the Serie A in the coming winter transfer window following interest from Premiership but the biggest interest is from Paris Saint Germaine.
The AFCON 2024 silver medal winner with Nigeria has been on the radar of the London side, West Ham United and three other sides from the league but all is more certain that the London club will find it difficult to compete for the signature of Atalanta star according to Football Insider.
Reports have suggested that the Irons are ready to swoop for the Nigeria international in the January transfer window.
However, sources say there will be “huge interest” from Europe in the 27-year-old ex-Everton star.
Paris Saint-Germain will be the frontrunner for the forward if he becomes available in the coming months.
Additionally, Lookman plays in the same area of the pitch as West Ham’s big-money summer signings Crysencio Summerville and Luis Guilherme.
The London-born has raised his stock with his displays for Atalanta since joining from RB Leipzig in 2022.
He finished 14th in the Ballon d’Or rankings this year after leading the Italian side to a Europa League title last term.
Lookman has already hit five goals and contributed five assists in 10 games across all competitions this term.
The forward, who is under contract until June 2026, hit 17 goals and notched 10 assists in 45 appearances last season.
West Ham are unlikely to have serious funds to spend in the January window after their lavish spending in the off-season.
Julen Lopetegui’s side started slowly and sat 13th in the Premier League after nine games.
French Ligue 1
PSG to go to court after LFP rule in favour of Mbappe in wage dispute

Paris St Germain will take their wage dispute with Kylian Mbappe to court after the French football league’s governing body (LFP) ruled in favour of the France captain on Friday.
French media reported the 25-year-old, who has not commented on the dispute, is seeking around 55 million euros ($59.52 million) in salary and bonuses he says he is owed by the club.
The Ligue 1 champions, however, say Mbappe’s contract was “legally amended” and that he reneged on commitments when he left the club to join Spanish giants Real Madrid in the close season.
PSG said last month that Mbappe had refused an offer from the LFP to mediate on the issue.
The LFP’s National Joint Appeals Commission heard the parties on Oct. 15 and announced on Friday it had ruled in favour of Mbappe.
“The club must pay him the salary he is claiming. This decision is not subject to appeal, but may be referred to the FFF (French Football Federation) Executive Committee,” the LFP told Reuters.
However, PSG said they would be “forced to bring the case before the competent courts” while still trying to find an “amicable solution” with Mbappe, who became the French club’s all-time top scorer during his seven-year stay in the capital.
“What is in debate, and will ultimately be heard before an appropriate tribunal, is that the original contract was legally amended in August 2023 relating to the 2024-25 season, and also fully recognised by the player including in January 2024 – until the player then decided to renege all his commitments upon leaving the club,” a PSG spokesperson said.
“As a matter of law and fact, the player has made clear, repeated public and private commitments that the club simply asks are honoured, with the player being afforded unprecedented benefits by the club over seven years in Paris.
“The club hopes these basic commitments will simply be respected, knowing that the club will be forced to have the player’s bad faith judged by the competent courts if the player regrettably seeks to pursue this incomprehensibly damaging dispute, for himself and for French football, further.”
Mbappe’s representatives were not immediately available for comment.
In January, Mbappe had said he made an agreement with PSG chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi which would “protect all parties and preserve the club’s serenity for the challenges ahead”.
-Reuters
-
OBITUARY4 days ago
A burden of debts pushed dead Nigerian boxer, Segun Olanrewaju, to the fatal fight
-
World Cup1 week ago
Fifth-placed Lesotho protests South Africa’s fielding of ineligible players
-
World Cup1 week ago
World Cup 2026 is a ‘Mission Impossible’ for Super Eagles
-
World Cup1 week ago
World Cup match forfeiture looms for South Africa
-
ESSPORT7 days ago
Millionaire emerges from the Bet9ja UCL jackpot campaign
-
OBITUARY4 days ago
Nigerian Boxer Segun Olanrewaju Dies in Ghana Match
-
NATIONAL SPORTS FESTIVAL1 week ago
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu to Flag Off Unity Torch Movement Ahead of 22nd National Sports Festival
-
U-17 AFCON4 days ago
CAF Under-17 Africa Cup of Nations kicks off with Morocco-Uganda opener