Connect with us

AFCON

THREE YEARS ON THE SADDLE, ROHR SAYS HIS TEAM IS STILL YOUNG

Published

on

Just as he said after the Super Eagles under performed at the Russia 2018 World Cup, Nigeria’s manager, Gernot Rohr is still singing the same song, claiming his team will learn and later mature.

According to CAF publication, Rohr, though hugely disappointed that the Super Eagles could not get into the final of the Africa Cup of Nations he has chosen to look at the positives, believing his young side will learn from their experiences and misgivings.

The Super Eagles lost 2-1 to Algeria in a tightly contested semi-final in Cairo on Sunday night, conceding a late Riyad Mahrez masterpiece of a freekick.

“I think this team has come a long way after making a good world cup. We can be proud of our performances,” said Rohr who led the Eagles to an AFCON return for the first time since they won the title in 2013.

The tactician stated that the main difference between them and Algeria in the semis was the experience.

Advertisement

“We have to work more and we have to learn with this young team. I think sometimes a little bit of experience cost us in the game especially because our midfielders Etebo and Ndidi are very young,”

“They need to learn better in terms of communicating and pressing the game. These are lessons that we take home and I am sure we will be better. I started this journey when I was appointed to rebuild with young players and we have come from a long way,” the German tactician further stated.

Looking back at the tie, Rohr was dejected that they could not respond to Algeria’s tactical pressing, saying they made a better second half but were unlucky not to see the game go into extra time.

“It was a great fight until the last minute. Algeria had a better first half than us but we came back in the second half. We thought Algeria could be tired in extra time and we could win it.

“We are sad that we lost of course, but congratulations to Algeria. We won the last game against South Africa late and today we lost late. That is football,” the tactician further added.

Advertisement

Nigeria will now shift their focus to Wednesday evening’s third and fourth place play-off match against Tunisia at Al Salam Stadium and Rohr hopes in the least, his players will go back home with a medal around their necks.

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

AFCON

Moroccan Court Jails 18 Senegalese Fans Over AFCON Final Disorder

Published

on

File Photo: Senegal supporters clash during the Africa Cup of Nations (CAN) final football match between Senegal and Morocco at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat, AFP

A Moroccan court on Thursday sentenced 18 Senegalese football supporters to prison terms ranging from three to 12 months after finding them guilty of hooliganism during last month’s Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) final.

The supporters had been in pre-trial detention since 18 January, the day Senegal defeated hosts Morocco 1–0 in a tense and controversial final at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium in Rabat.

According to the court’s ruling, nine of the defendants received one-year prison sentences and were fined 5,000 Moroccan dirhams (approximately $545). Six others were handed six-month terms alongside fines of 2,000 dirhams (about $218), while three supporters were sentenced to three months in prison and fined 1,000 dirhams (around $109).

Prosecutors had sought a maximum penalty of two years, arguing that the accused “deliberately sought to disrupt the proper conduct of the match” and engaged in “acts of violence broadcast live on television.”

Chaos at the Final

The AFCON final was overshadowed by dramatic scenes late in regulation time following a contentious penalty awarded to Morocco after a VAR review. Senegalese players protested the decision vehemently, surrounding the referee and causing play to be halted for nearly 20 minutes.

Advertisement

Amid the tension, some Senegalese supporters reportedly attempted to invade the pitch, while others threw objects — including chairs — onto the field. Players from both sides temporarily left the pitch before returning after intervention from security officials and match authorities.

Authorities said their case was supported by stadium surveillance footage and medical reports detailing injuries sustained by security personnel during the unrest.

However, defence lawyers rejected the charges and described the sentences as excessive.

“The footage does not contain irrefutable proof showing that any one of them struck or assaulted anyone,” defence counsel Naima El Guellaf told the court.

Another lawyer, Patrick Kabou, called the verdict “incomprehensible,” arguing that his clients were “victims” rather than perpetrators. The defence team has confirmed plans to file an appeal.

Advertisement

The ruling comes as football authorities continue to grapple with the fallout from a final that, despite Senegal’s historic victory, was overshadowed by controversy both on and off the pitch.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

AFCON

Renard Revisits AFCON 2025 “Towel Incident,” Cites Cultural Symbolism

Published

on

Terrible Hervé Renard Blow For Cote D’Ivoire -

French coach Herve Renard has reopened the debate around the controversial “towel incident” that marred the closing stages of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final between Morocco and Senegal.

Renard, who previously coached Morocco and now manages the Saudi Arabia national football team, addressed the episode in a recent interview with Jeune Afrique, describing it as a complex issue rooted partly in African football culture.

“The towel story is long and complicated. It has a certain significance, that’s all,” Renard said. He suggested that, if anyone attempted to remove the towel, it could have been intended to unsettle the opponent psychologically.

“In Europe, people don’t understand that there is something behind it. Was the towel charmed? In Africa, these are beliefs, and everyone is free to believe what they want,” he added.

Renard stressed that cultural context is often overlooked by outsiders. “Those who don’t know Africa cannot understand. In this case, Moroccans would never allow anyone to cross that line,” he said, while admitting he was unsure whether events unfolded exactly as widely portrayed. Drawing from his extensive coaching experience across the continent, he noted that similar charged atmospheres are not uncommon in high-stakes African fixtures.

Advertisement

The incident occurred during the final of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations Final in Rabat, where Senegal defeated Morocco 1–0 to lift the continental crown.

Late in the match, attention shifted away from the ball to Senegal goalkeeper Edouard Mendy’s towel, which had been placed inside his goal to dry his gloves amid wet conditions. As tensions rose in the closing minutes, substitute goalkeeper Yehvann Diouf attempted to safeguard the towel, resulting in a chaotic scene inside the penalty area.

Television footage — quickly dubbed a “towel tussle” — showed Moroccan midfielder Ismael Saibari blocking Diouf as he tried to return the towel to Mendy, while a ball boy also reached for it. Diouf later insisted he had merely been assisting Mendy and had no intention of disrupting play.

Images circulating after the match appeared to show Moroccan players attempting to remove the towel, sparking a heated debate. Some observers viewed it as gamesmanship designed to unsettle the Senegalese goalkeeper, while others linked the episode to longstanding superstitious beliefs within segments of African football culture.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) disciplinary committee subsequently sanctioned Saibari with a two-match suspension and a $100,000 fine. The midfielder later apologised to Mendy, stating that his actions had been misunderstood.

Advertisement

CAF’s refereeing chief, Olivier Safari, also addressed the matter in an interview with Canal+ Afrique.

“The towel is not part of a goalkeeper’s official equipment. Its use must remain within the spirit of fair play,” Safari explained. “If it influences the match, it must be removed from the playing area.”

His comments underscored the regulatory grey area surrounding auxiliary items such as towels, which are not formally recognised as playing equipment under the Laws of the Game but are commonly used for practical reasons.

 

While the final result stands and Senegal’s victory remains uncontested, the towel episode has lingered in public discourse — not merely as a fleeting controversy, but as a symbol of the psychological and cultural layers that often accompany African football.

Renard’s remarks add nuance to the debate, suggesting that what may appear trivial to some can carry deeper meaning in different footballing contexts.

Advertisement

Nearly a year after Senegal’s triumph in Rabat, the “towel incident” continues to provoke reflection, less about fabric inside a goalmouth, and more about the intersection of belief, psychology and competition at the highest level of African football.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

AFCON

AFCON Final Fallout Dominates CAF Executive Committee as Officiating Questions Surface

Published

on

The recent Executive Committee meeting of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in Dar es Salaam has exposed fresh tensions within the continental governing body, with the controversial aftermath of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations final in Morocco taking centre stage.

Although the formal agenda included discussions on tightening CAF’s Disciplinary Code, it was the lingering disputes surrounding the final that shaped the tone and direction of deliberations. The intensity of the exchanges underscored how deeply the events in Morocco have unsettled African football’s leadership.

CAF President Patrice Motsepe was unequivocal in his assessment, expressing that he was “extremely disappointed” by the incidents that marred the showpiece match. His public dissatisfaction with the sanctions handed down by the Disciplinary Committee signalled a broader concern within CAF that the current regulatory framework may lack the deterrent strength required for high-stakes fixtures.

Motsepe also reportedly questioned the standard of officiating during the final, a sensitive matter that appears to have triggered pointed internal scrutiny. His remarks effectively opened the door to deeper discussions about referee management, accountability and procedural consistency.

At the centre of the controversy are reported comments attributed to Olivier Safari Kabene, Chairman of CAF’s Referees Committee. According to specialised media outlets, Kabene acknowledged issuing instructions aimed at preventing the definitive abandonment of the final following the temporary withdrawal of Senegalese players from the pitch.

Advertisement

Under existing regulations, their return could have triggered immediate disciplinary measures, including warnings that might have placed Senegal at a numerical disadvantage, given that several players were already at risk of bookings. The alleged decision not to apply those sanctions — in order to avoid a premature termination of the match — raises fundamental questions about regulatory discretion during critical match situations.

If confirmed, such intervention would suggest a pragmatic approach prioritising match completion over strict procedural enforcement. However, it also exposes CAF to accusations of selective rule application, potentially undermining the integrity of its disciplinary structures.

Further complicating matters were reported claims from the head of refereeing that he had not been fully informed of the appointment of certain officials who handled matches during the tournament, despite participating in pre-competition preparatory meetings. Such assertions, if accurate, could point to deeper governance and communication gaps within CAF’s internal systems.

Beyond the immediate controversy, the Dar es Salaam meeting may mark a turning point for CAF. The call to strengthen the Disciplinary Code now appears inseparable from broader institutional reforms concerning referee appointments, transparency and crisis management protocols.

For a confederation seeking to consolidate its credibility and commercial growth, the handling of the 2025 AFCON final may ultimately prove as significant off the pitch as the match itself.

Advertisement

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Most Viewed