International Football
Uefa Champions League Fastest Goal Clocks 10
Ten years on … Makaay scores fastest Champions League goal, recalls the official blog of UEFA.
This Tuesday marks ten years when Roy Makaay made UEFA Champions League history with a goal after 10.12 seconds, a record that still stands. We take a snap shot.
Bayern München had not scored inside the first quarter-hour of any of their seven 2006/07 UEFA Champions League outings prior to their round of 16 second leg against Real Madrid.
Then came the moment which etched Roy Makaay’s name into the competition’s history books. Madrid had in fact kicked off, but Roberto Carlos’s control was loose, allowing Hasan Salihamidžić to capitalise. The midfielder squared to Makaay, who swept past Iker Casillas after just 10.12 seconds – still the fastest ever UEFA Champions League goal.
The goal is better seen from the perspective of what happened in the first leg. Real Madrid looked to be in cruise control till two minutes to end the round of 16 match. Then Bayern München’s Mark van Bommel pulled a goal back to throw the second leg wide open.
In the return leg, recalled Makaay: “we agreed we’d apply full pressure for the first ten minutes to see if we could score an early goal.”
From the whistle the ball was played to Roberto Carlos but the Brazilian’s touch was poor, allowing Hasan Salihamidžić to capitalise. The midfielder quickly threaded a square pass through to Makaay who swept the ball past Iker Casillas. It left a Madrid side hit by the late withdrawal of Fabio Cannavaro shell-shocked.
“Normally Real played a 4-2-3-1 system but they took out their No10 and replaced him with an extra defensive midfielder. I think Guti was replaced by Emerson, so we knew Madrid would play more defensively than normal. We agreed we would apply full pressure for the first ten minutes to see if we could score an early goal.
“So they kicked off. The ball went to [Fernando] Gago, he passed it to Roberto Carlos and it bounced off his foot. Salihamidžić took the ball and before we knew it, it was in the net. Their tactical plan was immediately destroyed and we had a start you always dream of, especially in an important game like that.”
How that goal ranks
Jonas came close to breaking Makaay’s record with a strike after 10.96 seconds for Valencia against Leverkusen in 2011 – the only other UEFA Champions League goal that has come inside 20 seconds.
The UEFA Europa League best came this season, with Jan Sýkora on target after 10.69 seconds for Liberec against Qarabağ.
The quickest competitive international goal also came this term, Belgium’s Christian Benteke finding the net after 8.1 seconds against Gibraltar.
International Football
Brazil sack coach Dorival after humiliating loss to Argentina

Brazil have sacked head coach Dorival Jr, the country’s football confederation (CBF) said on Friday after the five-time world champions were thrashed 4-1 away to fierce rivals Argentina in a humiliating qualifying loss in Buenos Aires.
The 62-year-old was appointed in January 2024 after the team spent a year under two caretaker coaches as the Brazilian FA were unable to lure Italian Carlo Ancelotti from Real Madrid.
“The Brazilian Football Confederation informs that coach Dorival Jr is no longer in charge of the Brazilian national team,” the confederation said in a statement.
“The management thanks (Dorival) and wishes him success in continuing his career … the CBF will work to find his replacement,” it added.
Dorival was handed the job after his success with Flamengo in 2022 where he won the Copa Libertadores and Brazilian Cup, a trophy he lifted again the next year with Sao Paulo.
However, he never seemed to get to grips with the national team job and failed to earn the trust of Brazil’s demanding fans after winning only seven of his 16 games in charge.
Sources told Reuters the CBF was not confident in Dorival’s work, considering there had been little to no progress since a lacklustre Copa America campaign when Brazil were knocked out in the quarter-finals by Uruguay last year.
Still, the CBF was willing to wait and see until the 2026 World Cup qualifiers against Ecuador and Paraguay in June to reassess the situation following the end of the European season and the Club World Cup in the U.S. in June and July.
But after Brazil slumped to their heaviest-ever loss in a qualifier when they were thrashed by Argentina this week, CBF president Ednaldo Rodrigues decided to pull the trigger.
IDEAL CANDIDATE
Sources told Reuters Ancelotti was still the ideal candidate but he is under contract with Real until July 2026 and there is no indication he would leave the European and Spanish champions.
Brazilian media have reported that Al Hilal’s Portuguese coach Jorge Jesus is the favourite to replace Dorival.
Brazil have been in unfamiliar territory for over two years since crashing out of the 2022 World Cup against Croatia on penalties in the quarter-finals, a heartbreaking elimination that led to the exit of long-time manager Tite.
Their humbling defeat in Buenos Aires was the latest of a series of negative records Brazil have set under caretakers Ramon Menezes and Fernando Diniz and with Dorival in charge. They had never conceded four goals in a World Cup qualifier.
Brazil are in the midst of their worst-ever World Cup qualifying campaign. They are fourth in the South American standings with 21 points, a point above sixth-placed Colombia who currently occupy the final direct qualifying berth.
Never have Brazil lost so many games, conceded so many goals or set so many negative records in the qualifying competition. They have lost five of their 14 games and conceded 16 goals.
Brazil’s 1-0 defeat by Argentina in the Maracana late in 2023 was their first-ever qualifying loss on home soil.
They also lost to Colombia for the first time, saw the end of their unbeaten run against Uruguay stretching back over two decades and were defeated by Morocco and Senegal, having never previously lost to an African nation.
-Reuters
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
International Football
England’s German manager Tuchel will not sing the English anthem in his first game

England manager Thomas Tuchel said he would have to “earn the right” to sing the national anthem, God Save the King, after announcing his 26-man squad on Friday ahead of the team’s World Cup qualifiers.
Tuchel, who was appointed as Gareth Southgate’s successor in October and named his first squad to face Albania and Latvia this month, said he would not sing the anthem in his first games in charge.
“It means a lot to me, I can assure you, but I can feel that because it is so meaningful and it is so emotional and it is so powerful, the national anthem, that I have to earn my right to sing it,” the 51-year-old German told a news conference.
Former caretaker manager Lee Carsley was criticised last year for not singing the anthem during his tenure.
However, Tuchel added that while he is proud to be in charge of the team and knows the words to the anthem, he plans to earn the right with results.
“Maybe I have to dive more into the culture and earn my right from you, from the players, from the supporters, so everyone feels like ‘he should sing it now, he’s one of our own, he’s the English manager, he should sing it’,” he said.
-Reuters
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
International Football
Medical team of Argentina icon Maradona on trial 4 years after death

Seven medical professionals who cared for Argentine football legend Diego Maradona during his final days go on trial Tuesday accused of criminal negligence over his death.
Maradona died on 25 November 2020 aged 60 while recovering from brain surgery for a blood clot, after decades battling cocaine and alcohol addictions.
Each defendant risks between eight and 25 years in prison if convicted of “homicide with possible intent” — allegedly for pursuing a course of action despite knowing it could lead to the footballer’s death.
The passing of the star of the 1986 World Cup plunged Argentina into mourning in the middle of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Tens of thousands of people queued to bid farewell to the former Boca Juniors and Napoli striker as his body lay in state in the presidential palace.
More than 100 witnesses, including members of Maradona’s family and doctors who tended to him over the years, are expected to take the stand in the long-delayed trial in the Buenos Aires suburb of San Isidro.
The hearings are expected to run until July.
Warning signs
Maradona was found dead in bed two weeks after going under the knife, in a rented house in an exclusive Buenos Aires neighborhood where he was brought after being discharged from hospital.
He was found to have died of a heart attack.
The night nurse said he had seen “warning signs” but had received orders “not to wake” Maradona.
The defendants in the case are a neurosurgeon, a psychiatrist, a psychologist, a medical coordinator, a nursing coordinator, a doctor and the night nurse.
The day nurse, who found Maradona dead, asked to be tried by jury separately.
Prosecutors have accused the medical team of pushing for Maradona to receive home care, which proved “reckless” and “totally deficient.”
They allege the footballer was abandoned to his fate for a “prolonged, agonizing period” before his death.
A panel of 20 medical experts convened by Argentina’s public prosecutor concluded in 2021 that Maradona “would have had a better chance of survival” with adequate treatment in an appropriate medical facility.
The residence where he was staying notably had no defibrillator.
Maradona’s family claim that leaked audio and text messages show that the star’s health was in imminent danger, said Mario Baudry, a lawyer for Maradona’s son Dieguito.
He said the messages showed the medical team’s strategy was to try and ensure that Diego’s daughters did not intervene “because if they did, they (the medical staff) would lose their money.”
‘Justice for Diego’
The accused all deny responsibility in the star’s death.
Vadim Mischanchuk, lawyer for psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov, said he was “very optimistic” of an acquittal, arguing his client was in charge of Maradona’s mental, not physical health.
In the La Paternal neighborhood of Buenos Aires where the player nicknamed “El Pibe de Oro” (The Golden Boy) revealed his prodigious talent as a player for Argentinos Juniors in the 1970s, graffiti urging “Justice for Diego!” was daubed on walls ahead of the trial.
“All society needs to know… what really happened, who abandoned him… and whoever is responsible must pay the price,” pensioner Hilda Pereira told AFP.
Maradona “did not deserve to die as he died, alone,” she added, her voice quavering.
For its part, Argentina’s left-wing Pagina 12 newspaper wondered: “Will anyone be found guilty for Maradona’s death?”
-AFP
Follow the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H
-
OBITUARY4 days ago
A burden of debts pushed dead Nigerian boxer, Segun Olanrewaju, to the fatal fight
-
World Cup1 week ago
Fifth-placed Lesotho protests South Africa’s fielding of ineligible players
-
World Cup1 week ago
World Cup 2026 is a ‘Mission Impossible’ for Super Eagles
-
ESSPORT1 week ago
Millionaire emerges from the Bet9ja UCL jackpot campaign
-
OBITUARY5 days ago
Nigerian Boxer Segun Olanrewaju Dies in Ghana Match
-
U-17 AFCON5 days ago
CAF Under-17 Africa Cup of Nations kicks off with Morocco-Uganda opener
-
Boxing4 days ago
Tale of five Nigerian boxers who tragically died from ring injuries
-
AFCON1 week ago
Kenyan Federation opens investigation into suspected match-fixing in AFCON 2025 Qualifiers