Connect with us

Other Sports

Rio 2016 Vote Scandal, Frankie Fredericks Under Probe

blank

Published

on

African sprint legend, Frankie Fredericks of Namibia, is being investigated by the IOC ethics commission over allegation of bribe for votes in the award of hosting rights to Rio de Janeiro.

French newspaper, Le Monde, had made reports linking the former silver medallists in the 100 and 200 metres at both 1992 and 1996 Olympics to collecting money from Papa Massata Diack, the son of former IAAF president, Lamine Diack who has been banned for life.

Fredericks is a member of the International Olympic Committee and currently the head of the evaluation commission for the 2024 Olympics due to be awarded later this year. He was alleged to have been paid $299,300 through an offshore company linked to him.

According to Le Monde, the revelation emerged during the course of the criminal investigation into widespread corruption in world athletics, which also uncovered a $1.5 million payment made to former IAAF marketing consultant Diack jnr by a firm linked to a rich Brazilian businessman three days before the vote.

The $299,300 subsequently given by Diack to Fredericks was done via the former’s company, Pamodzi Sports Consulting, to a firm set up by the latter, Yemi Limited, in the offshore tax haven of the Seychelles.

Advertisement

The former Namibian sprinter who was one of those that scrutinised of the vote for the award of 2016 Olympics had turned himself up for investigation.

“The amount paid by Pamodzi Sports Consulting to Yemi Limited was paid pursuant to the terms of a contract dated 11 March 2007,” said Fredericks, part of the team led by now-IOC president Thomas Bach which scrutinised the vote for the 2016 Games.

“I had the idea to develop a Relay Championships. In addition I supported the IAAF Marketing Programme, the African Athletics Programme, the IAAF Continental Programme and the African Athletics Championships.

“My attendance at various events and promotional efforts are documented and accordingly these services can be substantiated by other evidence. Payment was in respect of services rendered in the period 2007 to 2011.

“The payment has nothing whatsoever to do with the Olympic Games. By the way, I was not an IAAF board member at the time, but an IAAF ambassador, and did not breach any regulation or rule of ethics.”

Advertisement

The $1.5m received by Diack jnr was said by Le Monde to be suspected by French prosecutors of being used to influence votes for the 2016 Games.

Diack jnr was banned for life from athletics last year for his part in Russian doping scandal and wanted for questioning in France, where his father is on bail over allegations he, too, profited from the scheme.

Diack jnr told Le Monde, “Good luck for your article!” while Rio 2016 spokesman Mario Andrada said: “The elections were clean. Rio won by 66 votes against 32. It was a clear victory.”

The IOC announced Friday that Fredericks reported himself both to its ethics commission and the IAAF ethics board.

“The IOC trusts that Mr Fredericks will bring all the elements to prove his innocence against these allegations made by Le Monde,” said IOC spokesman Mark Adams.

Advertisement

“He turned to the IAAF ethics commission already yesterday. Immediately after a link was made between this contractual payment and the vote for the host city of the Olympic Games 2016, Mr Fredericks himself also turned to the IOC ethics commission, which is now following up on all the allegations in order to fully clarify this matter.”

The IAAF added in a statement: “The ethics board will carefully consider the information provided to it, including seeking any further information or clarification which it considers it needs, in order to determine whether these matters warrant the opening of a formal investigation.”

Kunle Solaja is the author of landmark books on sports and journalism as well as being a multiple award-winning journalist and editor of long standing. He is easily Nigeria’s foremost soccer diarist and Africa's most capped FIFA World Cup journalist, having attended all FIFA World Cup finals from Italia ’90 to Qatar 2022. He was honoured at the Qatar 2022 World Cup by FIFA and AIPS.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Other Sports

Abuja Ready for 3rd National Para Games

blank

Published

on

blank

The stage is set for the 3rd National Para Games, Nigeria’s largest and most prestigious para sports event, scheduled to hold from March 26 to April 3, 2026, in Abuja.

For nine days, the nation’s capital will host more than 3,000 athletes representing all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, competing across 15 different sports in what promises to be a vibrant celebration of resilience, excellence and inclusion. Organisers say champions will emerge, records will tumble, and new chapters will be written in Nigeria’s para sports history.

The Games are being organised by the National Sports Commission, which describes the event as a critical platform for talent discovery, national unity and the advancement of para sports development across the country.

Since its inception, the National Para Games has evolved into a cornerstone of Nigeria’s sporting calendar, spotlighting the remarkable abilities of athletes living with disabilities while reinforcing the country’s commitment to inclusive participation in sports.

Officials say the 2026 edition will surpass previous outings in scale, organisation and competitive intensity. With participation confirmed from every state of the federation and the FCT, the Games are expected to reveal the depth of talent spread nationwide and provide a pathway for standout performers to progress to continental and global competitions.

Advertisement

In a significant boost to preparations, the National Youth Service Corps has partnered with the Commission by releasing its Orientation Camp in Kubwa, Abuja, to serve as the official Games Village. The facility will accommodate athletes and officials throughout the competition, offering a secure and community-focused environment designed to foster camaraderie and peak performance.

The collaboration reflects a broader inter-agency commitment to empowering young Nigerians and promoting social integration through sport. It also underscores growing national recognition of para athletes as integral contributors to Nigeria’s sporting success.

With anticipation building and logistics nearing completion, Abuja is poised to welcome thousands of competitors and supporters for what promises to be a defining celebration of courage, competition and collective pride.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Other Sports

Akwa Ibom Names 280 Athletes, 44 Officials for 2026 Niger Delta Sports Festival

blank

Published

on

blank

By Keresifon Essien

Akwa Ibom State will parade a strong contingent of about 280 athletes and 44 officials at the 2026 Niger Delta Sports Festival (NDSF), scheduled to hold in Benin City, Edo State, from February 20 to 28.

The State Commissioner for Sports, Elder Paul Bassey, disclosed this in an exclusive interview with the Curator of Keresy Sports Museum (KSM), Keresifon Essien, noting that Team Akwa Ibom will compete in 16 sporting events at the regional multi-sports fiesta.

According to Bassey, the sports in which the state will feature include football, basketball, volleyball, handball, table tennis, badminton, lawn tennis, boxing, wrestling, judo, karate, taekwondo, weightlifting, swimming and chess.

To ensure optimal preparation, the state government has constituted a five-man State Liaison Committee to oversee arrangements for the festival. The committee is chaired by the Commissioner for Sports, Elder Paul Bassey.

Advertisement

Other members of the committee are Coach Catherine Ewa Ekuta, Head of Technical; Guinness World Record holder George Essien; Edidiong Stephen, a member; and Mfon Bassey, who serves as Secretary.

Bassey explained that the committee has been mandated to fine-tune all preparations for the festival, beginning with the state trials scheduled for this weekend, and to ensure that the contingent arrives in Benin City fully prepared and ready to project Akwa Ibom State positively at the Niger Delta Sports Festival.

He expressed confidence that with proper planning and early preparations, Team Akwa Ibom will make a strong impression when the festival proper begins.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Other Sports

Team Nigeria Jets Out for World Karate Championship in Cairo

blank

Published

on

blank
L-R: Olusegun Abode - Team Lead, Oluwaseun Olorunbe, Constance Tamunodiepreye Abode, Godfirst Orie Ukoha-Sampson, Hajiya Zainab Saleh, Ngozi Loveth Okoro,, Ujunwa Caroline Nwankwo and Efezino Akpotu - Coach

Team Nigeria on Monday afternoon departed the country for Cairo, Egypt, where they will compete in the 2025 World Karate Championship scheduled for November 27–30.

The nation will be represented by five outstanding athletes who have demonstrated exceptional discipline, consistency, and competitive grit in their buildup to the global event. The team is made up of:

  • Loveth Ngozi Okoro – Kumite -50kg
  • Godfirst Orie Ukoha-Sampson – Kumite -55kg
  • Constance Tamunodiepreye Abode – Kumite -61kg
  • Ujunwa Caroline Nwankwo – Kumite +68kg
  • Oluwaseun Olorunbe – Male Kata

The athletes, who have undergone intense preparations, will be led by coach Efezino Akpotu, while Olusegun Abode serves as the leader of delegation.

Four members of the squad—Ngozi, Godfirst, Constance, and Ujunwa—are already well-known names on the domestic circuit. They are regular contenders at the Zainab Saleh International Female Open Karate Championship, an annual tournament founded by Hajiya Zainab Saleh, a Board Member of the Karate Federation of Nigeria (KFN). The championship has been widely recognised for empowering and developing female karatekas across the country.

Ahead of the team’s participation, the Board of the KFN expressed confidence in the athletes’ ability to deliver strong performances on the world stage.

However, it also appealed to the National Sports Commission (NSC) for urgent financial support to offset debts incurred in ensuring Nigeria’s participation in the championship.

Advertisement

According to the federation, the World Karate Championship falls under the mandate of the NSC, and timely intervention is necessary to stabilise the federation’s operations after securing the team’s trip to Cairo.

Team Nigeria will now focus on making a strong impact as they join the world’s best karatekas in Egypt later this week.

Join the Sports Village Square channel on WhatsApp: https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Vaz7mEIGk1FxU8YIXb0H

Continue Reading

Most Viewed